• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one that noticed this Superman #149 9.6 that sold for 22 x guide?!

156 posts in this topic

Hi BB: I also sent in a few letters to the editor, never won anything or had one published. Years later I did come across one of the prizes and added it to my collection, the OA to Flash 124 Space Boomerang Trap. I just recently let it go.

Those early Fanzines were really special. There was an almost complete run of all tittles from 61-64 in the Western Penn Collection, all NM. I never got tired of reading thru them, while I had them in my possesion I catalouged them. I have the list somewhere, pretty interesting stuff.

Best, Tom

tom ; so that artwork that they gave away was for an entire story?? perhaps you could satisfy my curiosity and estimate what something like a full flash story (such as #124 - so achingly close to #123) drawn by infantino, might realize in todays market.

this is one area of collecting where i have never purchased a thing. always wanted something nice by Hal Foster, though..........

BB interestingly. or coincidentally, the cover artwork to 123 was awarded to a frequent letterhack of Flash named Don Thompson!! He and Maggie later auctioned it off in one of th eearliest Sotheby's auctions for (I think) about 20K

small world.

BB interestingly. or coincidentally, the cover artwork to 123 was awarded to a frequent letterhack of Flash named Don Thompson!! He and Maggie later auctioned it off in one of th eearliest Sotheby's auctions for (I think) about 20K

small world.

now that's very interesting!!!!!!!!! if just the cover artwork went for 20K years ago, it must be worth a small mint now.

that cover won the 1961 Alley Award for best cover of the year, the book won for best book (issue) of the year, and the story won for best story. a Triple Crown of sorts grin.gif AND Infantino won for best artist of the year as well..........

check out the Alter-Ego thread later today if you'd like to see some of that issue.

This is more Atomic Age, it is still a minor key and highest graded to date similar to the Superboy 89. Gotta love an origin retold story as well as the first appearance of Kryptonite. The white cover makes it tough as well.

I didn't want to hi jack the superboy 89 thread but I wonder if Atomic Age (1947?-1954) have the same appeal as early DC silver?

Does Atomic Age even really exist?

sup61.jpg

This is more Atomic Age, it is still a minor key and highest graded to date similar to the Superboy 89. Gotta love an origin retold story as well as the first appearance of Kryptonite. The white cover makes it tough as well.

I didn't want to hi jack the superboy 89 thread but I wonder if Atomic Age (1947?-1954) have the same appeal as early DC silver?

Does Atomic Age even really exist?

sup61.jpg

That book isnt hot at all. Sell it to me quick. wink.gif

I wonder if Atomic Age (1947?-1954) have the same appeal as early DC silver?

Generally, no, because the vast majority of issues are mid-run issues of the major titles that survived past the Golden Age. So your main market is going to be Superman/Superboy/Batman completists who, knowing that they need to spend big bucks for the key GA issues, are going to assign a lower priority in filling in issues from this era.

Similarly, most early DC SA collectors tend to be more focused on characters that first appeared in the SA. So again, the market for the Atomic Age issues will be limited to SA Superman/Superboy/Batman completists who, having filled out their SA runs, then decide to work their way back. But in all likelihood, if those SA completists decide to expand beyond SA, they will probably look to the GA issues first.

Hmm, sounds like a great niche that is probably underappreciated and underexploited.

that is one sweet book - over 50 years old with a white cover and still has off-white pages 893applaud-thumb.gif

i would have thought the first Krytonite book would be in demand and, guess what, it's double the value of the surrounding issues and guides at about $1000 in that condition. not bad at all thumbsup2.gif

Great thread here, really enjoyed reading it from top to bottom.

For those of you interested in the begining of collecting, order a copy of

"The Golden Age of Comic Fandom" by Bill Schelly.

All about early comic collectors, fanzines, first mail order dealers and very early, primative comic book stores. Lots of photos too. Well worth $14.95! thumbsup2.gif

The only Golden Age "find" I have been loosely connected with wasn't exactly a warehouse... it was actually an old liquor store up in Kansas City. The books were from the early-to-mid 40's, and they were BEAUTIFUL. The grandson of the owner of the liquor store (after he passed away), brought them in to the LCS... I have no idea what the LCS paid for them, but I bought a couple for a song (and then promptly turned around and sold them to a couple board members for another song because I don't really collect GA).

There were lots of multiples though, Green Mask (v.2), Captain Marvel Adventures

#40s-50s, Fun ____ (don't remember what), LOTS of books with really amazing L.B. Cole covers... etc.

A very cool find, I must say.

I'll must say that too since I'm the owner of a beautiful Great Comics #1 with an L.B. Cole cover that I purchased from you smile.gif

Great book, but I thought it would go for about 2k, not 5k! Who is Paramont anyway?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2258586481&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Jesus...that's insane...Do you suspect the auctions integrity?

Why was the picture removesd?

No, I don't see any problem with the auction. The picture is missing because the auction ended back on 7/31.