• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oscar shutout

99 posts in this topic

For all the excellent films this year, the comic films got shut out with only 1 exception - Avengers got a visual effects nomination.

That seems a bit messed up considering Batman, Avengers, & Spidey combined for a gross of over $3.3billion.

I'm not saying money should always equal nominations - but I saw, Lincoln, The Hobbit, & Les Mis as well and while they all deserved some nods, it's frankly silly that Downey Jr has never received a nod for Tony Stark - that role could not be played better, or that movies which break into the top 10 in all time earnings aren't at least considered for best picture (especially when films like DKR do it without the 3D revenue). OR, how about a director nod for Whedon because of the skill it takes to balance the crazy number of huge personalities in that movie, or Nolan (you realize, he never got a director nod for any of his Batman work)? None of the comic films could even muster a costume, editing, production design, or cinematography nomination despite the impressively believable fantasy worlds they created.

rantrant

gross of over $3.3billion.

Awards are nice I guess, but in the end they don't amount to a whole lot. It's the quoted portion that's important, and will ensure more comic adaptations in the future. As long as Hollywood keeps churning out quality superhero movies, I don't much care what a bunch of stuffed shirts deem "worthy".

All of those dumb awards are just self-congratulatory masturbation anyway. :sumo:

I dont think anyone would consider Avengers, Spidey or DKR as doing anything groundbreaking, innovative or particularly impressive insofar as how the awards are given out.

There was some pretty loose editing and cinematography in these movies. And no one gets a directorial nod for having to deal with the talent, its about what shows up on the screen. The comic book movies certainly have moved forward from where they were 10-20 years ago, but in most cases they are just well executed movies about a subject matter I love. Its the subject matter that evokes a response from me, not the movie-making/acting itself.

3.3 billion doesn't automatically buy you an award, nor should it.

Couldn’t agree more:

I'm not saying money should always equal nominations – but.....

And no one gets a directorial nod for having to deal with the talent,

When I said balance personalities - I meant character personalities, not the talent. The balance of story telling for so many major heroes in such a short amount of time, I thought, was remarkably well done

Didn't see DKR yet, but didn't think either the Avengers or Spider-man were worthy of Oscar consideration. Of course neither was Les Mis - which I got roped into seeing with my daughter. I'd rather sit through the Daredevil movie than watch that again.

There are a lot of politics in these type of Hollywood awards.

Violence is usually not rewarded, unless the subject matter of the movie is railing against violence.

Lincoln will win best picture, most likely. Zero Dark 30 will not win anything, because it seems to suggest waterboarding is okay in certain situations.

I have not seen either. Going strictly on politics with my guesses. We are going to see Zero Dark 30 friday night. Maybe Lincoln next week. Have to fit in Django somewhere.

it's frankly silly that Downey Jr has never received a nod for Tony Stark - that role could not be played better

It's not an Oscar winning type of role, and Downey Jr himself would admit that it's a lightweight part that isn't exactly going to test his acting abilities. If anything I'd assume he'd rather not receive that sort of recognition for doing Iron Man, which (even though he does seem to enjoy the role) was his way of getting back into the spotlight.

it's frankly silly that Downey Jr has never received a nod for Tony Stark - that role could not be played better

It's not an Oscar winning type of role, and Downey Jr himself would admit that it's a lightweight part that isn't exactly going to test his acting abilities. If anything I'd assume he'd rather not receive that sort of recognition for doing Iron Man.

Agreed. it comes across as about 90% Downey being Downey with about 10% adjusted to be Stark...

Didn't see DKR yet, but didn't think either the Avengers or Spider-man were worthy of Oscar consideration. Of course neither was Les Mis - which I got roped into seeing with my daughter. I'd rather sit through the Daredevil movie than watch that again.

Then Les Miserables must have been pretty bad then.

to be honest as enjoyable as Avengers and Dark Knight Rises was i can understand neither getting Best Picture nominations, no real shock. Lincoln will be the big winner this year, DDL gives the performance they are looking for.

Zimmer should have gotten a nod though

to be honest as enjoyable as Avengers and Dark Knight Rises was i can understand neither getting Best Picture nominations, no real shock. Lincoln will be the big winner this year, DDL gives the performance they are looking for.

Zimmer should have gotten a nod though

Genre films rarely win Oscars.

Depends on the the genre....

Gladiator and Braveheart one... those have plot lines and themes that are very similar to the Superhero genre.

Changed it to rarely as I recall that Unforgiven won a few.

Good call on Braveheart as that did win Best Picture.

Depends on the the genre....

Gladiator and Braveheart one... those have plot lines and themes that are very similar to the Superhero genre.

Changed it to rarely as I recall that Unforgiven won a few.

Good call on Braveheart as that did win Best Picture.

Yeah I was just thinking about the Westerns that won, Unforgiven... and maybe Dances with Wolves falls somewhere in there too...

I guess I'd say its very rare that a "popcorn" movie wins the Oscar: Titanic and Gladiator are the only two I can think of since 2000 that were both box office/popular culture hits and Oscar winners...

That seems a bit messed up considering Batman, Avengers, & Spidey combined for a gross of over $3.3billion.

The only Oscar association there should be with that last Spider Man movie would be if Oscar the Grouch had a screening of it in his trashcan.

Is this a Mangus thread?