• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Predictions for Nov/Dec?

$50-$60 #1 raw

$150 range #1 9.8?

No way. I think max, $85.

Raw will be $15-20

This.

The only thing I can see causing this to jump above these figures would be a tv/movie rumor or lots of nods for best comic of 2013. Think.. 'what is going to cause 20k + new readers to jump on in the next 4 months.'

I don't think the books will be overly high in Nov/Dec but I also don't think it would take 20,000 new readers to drive prices on any book. Supply just has to be outweighed by demand and voila lol

Here are some statistics for you! :grin:

Saga is now selling 142% of the current issue compared to what it sold of #1.

(#1 = 37,641. #12 = 53,339)

Ignoring #4 of EoW because there was a variant that (probably) skewed numbers, and therefore using #3, East of West is current selling 80% of what it did for #1.

(#1 = 49,518. #3 = 39,441)

In order for East of West to get to Saga-level of demand-vs-supply (ie 142%), East of West would have to start selling just over 70,000 copies of current issues. That's almost 21,000 extra readers than it had with #3.

If you're ignoring #4 because of variants, shouldn't you also account for variants of issue 1? It seems like issue 1 regular probably sold roughly 44,000 copies. I agree that it'll have to start selling many more copies for there to be an equivalent copies of current issue/copies of issue 1 ratio, but that sort of adjustment certainly makes the needed reader growth look somewhat more obtainable. Also, the book doesn't need to have the same ratio as Saga to still be a sought after book.

That being said, I don't see regular #1s going crazy anytime soon. The FP variants I think will do well (and the Ghosts will do OK), but I agree with Brett's logic that there are a lot of copies out there just waiting to be brought to market. Still, given how many people out there bought quantity at discounted prices, raws rising to $20 each doesn't seem like such a bad outcome and seems possible (although not probable).

Changing EoW to 44k means it would need just over 18,000 more readers/sales to get to the same % as Saga.

Obviously there are other factors at play that make a book desirable. Print runs can go down on subsequent issues but still be a "hot" book. Just with the excessive hopefulness of EoW being a $50 book like Saga I felt this thread needed a little perspective. I don't see it being a $20 book any time soon either because sooooo many people bought multiple copies of this (and probably multiples of #2, 3 and 4 too) so who knows what the real readership number is.

Saga increased readership by 16,000. Even if EoW falls a bit short of 18,000 new readers, demand for #1s will still be solid. I think that adding 10,000 new readers by issue 12 is very possible (Hickman releasing the TPB during infinity will not hurt). We'll see.

With regards to demographics and saga- let's see. I think that people are trying to say that saga appeals to females more than EoW and that this helps Saga sell to people that EoW can't. I don't necessarily buy that yet. EoW features a bad woman who tamed Death, the Crow - who's rad, War - who's awesome, and a female president. There is a LOT of room for females (and just about any demographic) to latch on to this book (btw- love me some saga, but I think that both saga and EoW are great reads that, after 5 issues, are comparable).

Saga increased readership by 16,000. Even if EoW falls a bit short of 18,000 new readers, demand for #1s will still be solid. I think that adding 10,000 new readers by issue 12 is very possible (Hickman releasing the TPB during infinity will not hurt). We'll see.

With regards to demographics and saga- let's see. I think that people are trying to say that saga appeals to females more than EoW and that this helps Saga sell to people that EoW can't. I don't necessarily buy that yet. EoW features a bad woman who tamed Death, the Crow - who's rad, War - who's awesome, and a female president. There is a LOT of room for females (and just about any demographic) to latch on to this book (btw- love me some saga, but I think that both saga and EoW are great reads that, after 5 issues, are comparable).

You also have to look at the writer though. People love BKV and he has sold some real stellar books. On the other hand, people seem to have a love/hate relationship with Hickman. His stories, in the past and even now, are very convoluted and sort of slow burn storylines. It is off putting to a lot of people.

At the same time, and I've made this argument before, Saga is unique to look at. The artwork and layout of a page are different then anything we see in the market. We aren't seeing that with East of West. The art is solid, but it doesn't look different than anything else beyond the unique scenery. The way Saga uses the page to tell the story and the way it is lettered all are unique.

I don't doubt that East of West will do well, but it just isn't going to have the same lasting effect that Saga has on the market.

What do I know though...

Yeah, I know that TBP was saying Saga appeals to women more so has a wider demographic. Whether that's right or wrong, it's still irrelevant when comparing sales increases or decreases and secondary market value. The whole point of doing it in percentages rather than in numbers was so that the size of the readership doesn't matter. In that way you can compare any comic to Saga no matter how low a print run it has. Every comic starts at 100% whether it sells 40k or 4k.

How useful that is with secondary market prices and predictions, I don't know. But I would expect some kind of trend there. The main problem just now is that there isn't enough EoW data to go on.

Image has a 1000 order minimum for store variants. So I would assume print runs on Ghost and FP are 1000 at least.

1. Order 1000 TWD with your own cover.

2. Get it in the registry.

3. Shred 950 of them.

4. Make new friends ;)

Image has a 1000 order minimum for store variants. So I would assume print runs on Ghost and FP are 1000 at least.

3. Shred 950 of them.

4. Make new friends ;)

:signfunny:

3. Shred 950 of them.

4. Make new friends ;)

:signfunny:

Funny, but not a bad idea. Cherry pick the 9.8's, FT 'em, ^^

I just woke up and this is too much :ohnoez: for me.

Kachoo. Do you have CBT locked up in a basement somewhere. Those % #'s are great. Can you ask him to make us a chart. It's been too long.

Edited by Awax

3. Shred 950 of them.

4. Make new friends ;)

TWD doesn't do store or program variants. Just con exclusives. :sorry:

You also have to look at the writer though. People love BKV and he has sold some real stellar books. On the other hand, people seem to have a love/hate relationship with Hickman. His stories, in the past and even now, are very convoluted and sort of slow burn storylines. It is off putting to a lot of people.

At the same time, and I've made this argument before, Saga is unique to look at. The artwork and layout of a page are different then anything we see in the market. We aren't seeing that with East of West. The art is solid, but it doesn't look different than anything else beyond the unique scenery. The way Saga uses the page to tell the story and the way it is lettered all are unique.

I don't doubt that East of West will do well, but it just isn't going to have the same lasting effect that Saga has on the market.

What do I know though...

Wow, I went to the store and came home to an explosion of post lol

I don't know if EOW can sell as many comics as Saga but what I do know is I like EOW better.

I think the Hickman/Vaughn arguement can be made but as hot as BKV was 9 or 10 years ago, I could barely give Ex Machina away and that was a great story. You can buy that series for about a buck a book in NM/M.

A writer's name will get someone to try a story but after that, the story lives or dies on its merits. There is a lot of cheap Warren Ellis, Frank Miller, and Alan Moore stuff for sale everywhere. I also believe there is not a more high profile gig at Marvel than writing on Infinity and the Avengers. The guy has name recognition.

Mainly I think the book will continue to grow because it kicks butt. Death is likable. Only in the Sandman and Meet Joe Black have I seen that happen. The good news for us is we can have Saga and EOW and we don't have to choose.

Your are correct in saying that we don't know because we don't. I've been around long enough to know I could be wrong about this and that I could be right. I have also been around long enough to see the hottest book let another sneak in from the Fantastic Four to Spider-man to the X-men to the Watchmen to ...The Walking Dead. There is always room for something new and original.

Now how cool was the appearance of .... in # 5 ? :grin: