• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Here's the problem tho.. See I've read all the GoT books, and the amount of stuff they have already left out is mind blowing. Not only that, even a show like GoT has budget issues, where you can obviously tell they're saving money in the earlier episodes for awesome stuff later on. If East of West were to be adapted, I would want it done right, and it would probably need one hell of a budget for that. The best way for it to be adapted, although it's not most people's, including my own, first choice, would be an animated series.

Here's the problem tho.. See I've read all the GoT books, and the amount of stuff they have already left out is mind blowing. Not only that, even a show like GoT has budget issues, where you can obviously tell they're saving money in the earlier episodes for awesome stuff later on. If East of West were to be adapted, I would want it done right, and it would probably need one hell of a budget for that. The best way for it to be adapted, although it's not most people's, including my own, first choice, would be an animated series.

I agree on the animated opinion, but i think the Sin City look would work. Just not sure what the cost for that type of special effect would be. It would be ridiculously cool if HBO could pull it off. To me the animation route would leave me wanting more.

I have read all of the GoT books also and feel like they have done a fairly decent job of staying true to the source material (with just a few exceptions).

Edited by NigelTufnel42

See, I feel the same way.. The problem is that the words you used was "fairly decent," and while I love the books and the show, "fairly decent" isn't good enough for me for Game of Thrones, and it would certainly not be good enough for me with East of West.

EDIT: That being said, as far as story goes, East of West is probably easier to adapt, than Game of Thrones.

Edited by Stark Resilient

See, I feel the same way.. The problem is that the words you used was "fairly decent," and while I love the books and the show, "fairly decent" isn't good enough for me for Game of Thrones, and it would certainly not be good enough for me with East of West.

EDIT: That being said, as far as story goes, East of West is probably easier to adapt, than Game of Thrones.

In a perfect world HBO would do a page by page adaptation but I am guessing that this is not economically feasible (full disclosure: I have never been a TV executive so I really have nothing with which to base this on...but I did just drink a V-8). Other than Silence of the Lambs and LOTR I can think of no movies/tv shows that have lived up to the source material yet I have enjoyed many adaptations. So u should lower your expectations or get used to disappointment (incidentally this is how I have stayed married for 18 years).

In a perfect world HBO would do a page by page adaptation but I am guessing that this is not economically feasible (full disclosure: I have never been a TV executive so I really have nothing with which to base this on...but I did just drink a V-8). Other than Silence of the Lambs and LOTR I can think of no movies/tv shows that have lived up to the source material yet I have enjoyed many adaptations. So u should lower your expectations or get used to disappointment (incidentally this is how I have stayed married for 18 years).

Oh, believe me, I don't expect much.. Like I said, I do enjoy the show for what it is. But when a character is still alive for a season and a half longer than he should be, or characters are completely left out, or clumsily combined into other characters, it disappoints me. Of course, they can't let the cast get too big, and I totally understand why they can't, and shouldn't. I love the show, because it makes it easier to talk to my friends about something that I do really love, and it is definitely entertaining. It's just leaving out so many things that I really wanted to see, and I would hate to see something similar happen to East of West because budgetary restraints.

Oh, believe me, I don't expect much.. Like I said, I do enjoy the show for what it is. But when a character is still alive for a season and a half longer than he should be, or characters are completely left out, or clumsily combined into other characters, it disappoints me. Of course, they can't let the cast get too big, and I totally understand why they can't, and shouldn't. I love the show, because it makes it easier to talk to my friends about something that I do really love, and it is definitely entertaining. It's just leaving out so many things that I really wanted to see, and I would hate to see something similar happen to East of West because budgetary restraints.

HBO is aiming for the "media" audience while trying to accommodate a "literary" audience. With some of the characters they have killed off it seems obvious to me that they are trying very hard to stay true to the source otherwise there is no way they would have killed off certain characters. The one positive to the animated route is they can do anything they want. HBO or Showtime would have to do it so we can have it in full un-adulterated gory glory.

I was looking through my books and thinking of why people might or might not pick up this up. It occurs to me that the interiors are better than almost all of the covers imo. Even though the flower on the cover is perfectly fitting for the book, it really wouldn't cause me to buy the book if I wasn't already reading it. I still think the earliest covers aren't as good as the previews that were advertised. What so you guys think and why do you think they keep switching from the ads ?

I was looking through my books and thinking of why people might or might not pick up this up. It occurs to me that the interiors are better than almost all of the covers imo. Even though the flower on the cover is perfectly fitting for the book, it really wouldn't cause me to buy the book if I wasn't already reading it. I still think the earliest covers aren't as good as the previews that were advertised. What so you guys think and why do you think they keep switching from the ads ?

Agree. The interior art is fantastic. Right up there with Batman and Mercenary Sea for me. The covers are extremely dull and it is almost as if Hickman is saying "if you judge My Book by its cover then go f@$& yourself". Manhattan Projects is the same way...only difference is that the interior art for MP blows donkey d@$&!!!!

Hickman has a thing for lying on solicitations.. Not sure why.. I guess he likes to keep people on their toes.. It probably has to do with this. I agree that the covers aren't the most grabbing ones out there, and that obviously the interiors are much better. That said, 15 issues in, it would drive me insane if they changed the format now.

Agree. The interior art is fantastic. Right up there with Batman and Mercenary Sea for me. The covers are extremely dull and it is almost as if Hickman is saying "if you judge My Book by its cover then go f@$& yourself". Manhattan Projects is the same way...only difference is that the interior art for MP blows donkey d@$&!!!!

:o

:roflmao:

I'm glad you able to get that off your chest. Hehe.

:o

:roflmao:

I'm glad you able to get that off your chest. Hehe.

I have an unhealthy amount of "Middle-aged White Angst"!!!!!

Ridiculous amount of pet peeves. For example:

A couple is having a baby and you ask would u like a boy or a girl and there inevitable response is..."we don't care as long as it is healthy"...really no f@$&ing sh@&!!! Have you ever known someone to say "I don't care if my child is born without ears as long as it is a boy"

NEWSFLASH: everyone wants their child to be healthy u don't have to verbalize it.

I need help.

I think the covers killed Clone so it's entirely possible people are passing on this book but the numbers are still pretty strong considering (East of West #13 - 26,531).

This book would be so tough to cast for a TV show/movie.

I think the covers killed Clone so it's entirely possible people are passing on this book but the numbers are still pretty strong considering (East of West #13 - 26,531).

This book would be so tough to cast for a TV show/movie.

I recognize the TV show is a "crack" pipe dream but I am just so enthralled by the scope of this comic that it causes me to think irrationally.