• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Well, you said it had been a little quiet ... :baiting:

lol

I can stir some other threads up into a frenzy for you if you'd like, just give them a bump :)

You most certainly can, lol I've seen ya do it.

The entire board has been quiet. Since I've been on this board, this title, Saga, and The Walking Dead have been the busiest modern threads. I think some people ( me included ) wanted this to be the second coming of Saga on the secondary market. It hasn't been but that doesn't take away from the quality of the story. I would pay $10 for this book every month if they could stay on a 30 day schedule.

I always thought BKV's best story was Ex Machina and it is the only run of his that I won't sell including Y but it never brought big money and to some, that's all that matters. I think this is Hickman's Ex Machina or Ellis' Planetary. It is something special. East of West would really have to take a bad turn not to remain in my actual collection. This book ROCKS :headbang:

Unfortunately, a good book means nothing to the moronic masses.

Clone is a prime example of a good book and it was cancelled.

Ex Machina was fantastic and really never worth anything. Most didn't even read it.

DMZ is another that people never read. Such a shame. But they are series that I will never sell.

Patrick

The entire board has been quiet. Since I've been on this board, this title, Saga, and The Walking Dead have been the busiest modern threads. I think some people ( me included ) wanted this to be the second coming of Saga on the secondary market. It hasn't been but that doesn't take away from the quality of the story. I would pay $10 for this book every month if they could stay on a 30 day schedule.

I always thought BKV's best story was Ex Machina and it is the only run of his that I won't sell including Y but it never brought big money and to some, that's all that matters. I think this is Hickman's Ex Machina or Ellis' Planetary. It is something special. East of West would really have to take a bad turn not to remain in my actual collection. This book ROCKS :headbang:

Ex Machina was fantastic and really never worth anything. Most didn't even read it.

DMZ is another that people never read. Such a shame. But they are series that I will never sell.

Patrick

Ex Machina is great (as I type this I'm looking at my hardcover collection of the series and :cloud9:) but I think it may have come off a little bit as too preachy, even though the original set up went out of it's way to be 'independent.'

It deserved way more readers than it had, and it would make one hell of a television series. One of the best TV books out there in my opinion, not sure why it hasn't been snatched up.

:gossip: Manhattan Projects

Patrick

Ex Machina is great (as I type this I'm looking at my hardcover collection of the series and :cloud9:) but I think it may have come off a little bit as too preachy, even though the original set up went out of it's way to be 'independent.'

It deserved way more readers than it had, and it would make one hell of a television series. One of the best TV books out there in my opinion, not sure why it hasn't been snatched up.

I can understand how it might have been a bit tough at times. Personally, I thought the Sept 11th thing was WAY too soon when #1 came out. But he worked it into the overally context as the story went on.

The lamest cop-out is when people say the book was too political. It's just absurd. I know they were in political positions, but the issues were standard morality considerations.

Patrick

Well, there were a few stories that were hot button political issues. I personally found it interesting when it got political, but I guess that turns some off.

But just off of the top of my head...

Gay marriage, art versus profanity, police violence. I remember issues or arcs on all of those.

lol

It's been quiet in here because nobody knows what the frig's going on in the story.

That's why posts in this thread are about the covers or sketches for the most part. Or about other books (Ex Machina right now for example).

Go to the Saga or Dead threads and people discuss the story (especially when a new issue is released). People realized Hickman is just spewing random from week to week and nobody knows what the hell EoW is about so this thread has turned into a "cool cover! cool sketch!" thread.

:sumo:

Edited by Erndog

I can easily write a Hickman issue lol

The anatomy of an East of West book:

Start with a random scene that is no extension of the previous issue

Xiolan walking in a kingdom, talking with some guy we haven't seen before, discussing events that have never been discussed before and foreshadowing a bit about what this issue is going to try and show.

Xiaolin: "Very well, I see it clearly now. We must proceed to strike Wrath upon the awakening."

Then.... a dramatic cue....

To a 2 page white spread that features a random, non-sensical, hyperbolic, generic intro:

"The Message is foretold. Nobody is safe. We have come for your children"

Then, proceed to a few box panels that talk about a new character that either hasn't shown up, or had no part in the last issue. Again, be non-sensical when you do it

There are those that believe God's judgement was bestoed about his followers. Time has passed. Truth allies with truth.

I could go on but I'm pretty sure I would just spoil the next issue for you ;)

lol

It's been quiet in here because nobody knows what the frig's going on in the story.

That's why posts in this thread are about the covers or sketches for the most part. Or about other books (Ex Machina right now for example).

Go to the Saga or Dead threads and people discuss the story (especially when a new issue is released). People realized Hickman is just spewing random from week to week and nobody knows what the hell EoW is about so this thread has turned into a "cool cover! cool sketch!" thread.

:sumo:

:screwy:

I don't know how to respond to this other than to say if you don't get where this book is going by now, stop trying, you're never going to get it. You've complained about this before and even complained that notes provided for each issue were too complicated. It was stated early on that many think its just too complex for them, I get it. I personally like a book that makes me think. I love the fact that I have no clue what will happen next unlike TWD which is simply a book of survival. What happens next in that book is someone lives or someone dies. Its fun to read but I literally read through the first 2 compendiums in my off time over 3 days or roughly 7 or 8 hours. You aren't going to be able to EoW. It causes you to reflect on things.

Tell me you had any idea who or what the Ranger was going to be judging by appearance of the previews. How about the Endless Nation. Were you expecting them to be the most technically advanced country ? Did issue #10 not shock you ? A little ? A month ago, I thought you were seriously asking for help in understanding the story. Now it just appears you were being passive aggressive in hindsight and I don't understand why.

As for TWD thread, it as at least half about the art. So be it, its very cool art and I certainly don't blame people for being excited about it but its not a better story imo. Not much new or inventive stuff has happened since the first 48 glorious issues.

As for the comments on the thread, how should I respond when someone puts a nice sketch up ? Ignore it ? Make ugly comments ? lol

Not me. I think I'll keep saying stuff like "awesome" if I think its awesome. This book rocks plain and simple and is the only reason I will spend my lunch hour at the old LCS. (thumbs u

I can easily write a Hickman issue lol

The anatomy of an East of West book:

Start with a random scene that is no extension of the previous issue

Xiolan walking in a kingdom, talking with some guy we haven't seen before, discussing events that have never been discussed before and foreshadowing a bit about what this issue is going to try and show.

Xiaolin: "Very well, I see it clearly now. We must proceed to strike Wrath upon the awakening."

Then.... a dramatic cue....

To a 2 page white spread that features a random, non-sensical, hyperbolic, generic intro:

"The Message is foretold. Nobody is safe. We have come for your children"

Then, proceed to a few box panels that talk about a new character that either hasn't shown up, or had no part in the last issue. Again, be non-sensical when you do it

There are those that believe God's judgement was bestoed about his followers. Time has passed. Truth allies with truth.

I could go on but I'm pretty sure I would just spoil the next issue for you ;)

"You are a sad strange little man, and you have my pity"

:jokealert:

Seriously, I disagree though. I think the story is pretty bizarre, and maybe even complex to a fault (that would be a matter of opinion though) but to say no one knows what's going on doesn't make a lot of sense. It's got a solid following, and I doubt that everyone who picking it up is as confused by it as you seem to be.

I'm enjoying the series a lot and other people seem to be as well.

Edited by AntBrown

haha I'm being a little facetious here and ruffling some feathers on purpose... maybe to spark some actual conversation of the book!

I still like the book and pick it up monthly... I'm not entirely oblivious to what's going on. I think Antbrown put it best when he said I find it complex to a fault. It's as if Hickman is trying to confuse the reader. I don't mind difficult to follow, or complex stories... heck I enjoy thinking about it, re-reading pages and googling ideas, but when the writer is actively trying to speak in tongues, it gets a little much.

I think this book would read much better in trade. Dragotta's art is fantastic though.

haha I'm being a little facetious here and ruffling some feathers on purpose... maybe to spark some actual conversation of the book!

I still like the book and pick it up monthly... I'm not entirely oblivious to what's going on. I think Antbrown put it best when he said I find it complex to a fault. It's as if Hickman is trying to confuse the reader. I don't mind difficult to follow, or complex stories... heck I enjoy thinking about it, re-reading pages and googling ideas, but when the writer is actively trying to speak in tongues, it gets a little much.

I think this book would read much better in trade. Dragotta's art is fantastic though.

(thumbs u

Haha ! You really got me ! :grin:

It does read better in trades imo. If East of West has 1 great weakness it is that there is too much time between issues. There have been 14 issues put out over an 18 month period since issue #1 came out. That stretches my attention span to the point where I go back an issue before reading the next to refresh my memory. That is the 1 place where the Walking Dead kicks butt. My guess is that they've put out over 25 issues in that same time period. I'm excited about next months EOW The World issue. The fact that they've created a reference book backs up your point of complexity. lol