• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

I know that L.A. Noire cost a buttload to make. And yeah, it's on next gen consoles.
Thanks for reminding me. One of the reasons cited for no sequel was the cost of making the first one.

I know that L.A. Noire cost a buttload to make. And yeah, it's on next gen consoles.
Thanks for reminding me. One of the reasons cited for no sequel was the cost of making the first one.

Maybe not in the near future, but it's impossible to know really. They released Max Payne 3 8 years after its predecessor, and Rockstar is know for putting serious money into their franchises. It's one of the reasons why their games are a cut above most. I believe L.A. Noire cost around $50 million to make, and GTA IV cost over $100 million.

Speaking of Rockstar, GTA V is due out in the spring. Anyone else excited? A new GTA is always an event.

GTA5-grand-theft-auto-32732256-600-732.jpeg

Looking forward to that one. Played San Andreas and GTA 4 a lot.

Speaking of Rockstar, GTA V is due out in the spring. Anyone else excited? A new GTA is always an event.

GTA5-grand-theft-auto-32732256-600-732.jpeg

Looking forward to that one. Played San Andreas and GTA 4 a lot.

I'm also looking forward to this one. Vice City remains my favorite in the franchise, mostly because of the nostalgic 80s setting.

don't they already have this in games today stuff like wow ect heck with xbox you have to buy member ship for a year & they also give you month options as well to play online

I think he means that micro-transaction where you would have to pay a fee for each individual game just to play it online.

And yes, I expect that will go over well with the gaming public. lol

Has anybody else noticed that common run of the mill NES and SNES have exploded in price on Ebay compared to a year ago?

Seems like the rule of 25 is starting to kick in here.

Rule of 25?

Yeah. I am seeing loose copies of mid range games selling for more than I paid for sealed copies years ago.

I am starting to note this fairly often. For example the little samson I posted earlier on this thread I paid the top top dollar of 400 back around 2005. I was a little pizzed at the time that my buddy wouldnt sell it cheaper. Loose copies are now 500. (that sealed copy in that condition Ive turned down five figures). I am not too surprised thats happened with the good stuff although I am surprised its happened this fast. What has been more surprising to me is that as you say its not just the good stuff, its mid and sometimes lower end too.

Has anybody else noticed that common run of the mill NES and SNES have exploded in price on Ebay compared to a year ago?

Seems like the rule of 25 is starting to kick in here.

Rule of 25?

What is cool now will be collectible in 25 years once those boys are men. Ie the incubation period of a collectible is 25 years. Paraphrasing.

I know I've posted this somewhere else, but this thread makes sense.

I present CAPTAIN AMERICADE

Stand up M.A.M.E. machine w/ 5,000+ arcade games. For those of you that haven't heard of these, M.A.M.E. stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. You basically purchase a piece of hardware called an I-PAC that acts as a translator between your keyboard port and your joysticks/buttons. Every button and joystick movement is mapped to a key on the keyboard, e.g. pushing the joystick up translates to hitting the UP key on the keyboard. There is a PC inside the cabinet and the monitor is an old 19" CRT monitor. The speakers are basic PC speakers. You can get REAL fancy with these things. Working coin doors, rotating control panels to include joysticks, roller balls, steering wheels, etc...mine is very simple.

Everything on my cabinet is custom, I believe this was an old BreakThru cabinet...bought it at an arcade auction for $1 and refurbished it. A good sanding, some woodfiller where needed, some new paint, t-molding, a custom marquee, custom side art and control panel overlay, Street Fighter button layout, custom MAME menu to select your game, 19" CRT monitor and bezel, great PC speakers with external volume control, and the most important...cup holders on each side!

Once my boys get a little older I plan on making another one of these bad boys! Talk about fun!!!

8425776750_6d3742f564_o.jpg

4369963803_eef9c567ce_b.jpg

4370713088_1f4cc56a83_b.jpg

4369963789_a91a02dce7_o.jpg

4370781072_7dc14e0f22_o.jpg

I'd be curious to hear comic collector's thoughts on prototypes. Just by way of introduction these are pre-production cartridges. Working copies from the publisher. Typically builds would be saved over previous builds so usually the prototypes that exist are identical or very close to the retail version of the game. The only thing that is different usually is a) the provenance/history and b) the board itself uses read/write type parts instead of read only parts, so the boards are larger and heavier than retail. Copies known are usually in the 1-10 range.

For example, here's a final fantasy prototype, 4-5 known, ended at 2k: http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000719154

I'd love to hear everybody's takes, from non-game collectors as to desirability / potential value.

My own take is that historically as working copies prior to retail production, they are a 9/10 or better, from a historical point of view.

Aesthetically.... ugh. They are typically nasty looking, just like this final fantasy one. A grey brick with no label and writing in black marker. So aesthetically for me they are a 1/10? 0/10?

So the rarity and the history is there but they look like Rosie O'Donnell in a thong, plus for me at least some of the nostalgia connection is gone due to the poor/different aesthetics.

I'm kind of "mehhh" on them. They are cheap all things considered but I just can't get excited by something that looks so unattractive, so I find the fact they are cheap to be appropriate. Thoughts?

I know I've posted this somewhere else, but this thread makes sense.

I present CAPTAIN AMERICADE

Stand up M.A.M.E. machine w/ 5,000+ arcade games. For those of you that haven't heard of these, M.A.M.E. stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. You basically purchase a piece of hardware called an I-PAC that acts as a translator between your keyboard port and your joysticks/buttons. Every button and joystick movement is mapped to a key on the keyboard, e.g. pushing the joystick up translates to hitting the UP key on the keyboard. There is a PC inside the cabinet and the monitor is an old 19" CRT monitor. The speakers are basic PC speakers. You can get REAL fancy with these things. Working coin doors, rotating control panels to include joysticks, roller balls, steering wheels, etc...mine is very simple.

Everything on my cabinet is custom, I believe this was an old BreakThru cabinet...bought it at an arcade auction for $1 and refurbished it. A good sanding, some woodfiller where needed, some new paint, t-molding, a custom marquee, custom side art and control panel overlay, Street Fighter button layout, custom MAME menu to select your game, 19" CRT monitor and bezel, great PC speakers with external volume control, and the most important...cup holders on each side!

Once my boys get a little older I plan on making another one of these bad boys! Talk about fun!!!

8425776750_6d3742f564_o.jpg

:applause:

I need one of those. 'Maybe one day', sigh...

I love that you combined it with a love of GA Cap books.

I'd be curious to hear comic collector's thoughts on prototypes. Just by way of introduction these are pre-production cartridges. Working copies from the publisher. Typically builds would be saved over previous builds so usually the prototypes that exist are identical or very close to the retail version of the game. The only thing that is different usually is a) the provenance/history and b) the board itself uses read/write type parts instead of read only parts, so the boards are larger and heavier than retail. Copies known are usually in the 1-10 range.

For example, here's a final fantasy prototype, 4-5 known, ended at 2k: http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000719154

I'd love to hear everybody's takes, from non-game collectors as to desirability / potential value.

My own take is that historically as working copies prior to retail production, they are a 9/10 or better, from a historical point of view.

Aesthetically.... ugh. They are typically nasty looking, just like this final fantasy one. A grey brick with no label and writing in black marker. So aesthetically for me they are a 1/10? 0/10?

So the rarity and the history is there but they look like Rosie O'Donnell in a thong, plus for me at least some of the nostalgia connection is gone due to the poor/different aesthetics.

I'm kind of "mehhh" on them. They are cheap all things considered but I just can't get excited by something that looks so unattractive, so I find the fact they are cheap to be appropriate. Thoughts?

I'd compare them to ashcans in the comic hobby. Unique (or a handful) known, with black and white covers sometimes on a mock interior etc. Often highly valued by collectors, yet at the same time, despite their rarity, not as highly valued as real examples of key books.

My interest in videogames is nostalgia, so my most highly prized items would be high grade examples of the games that made me. I think that market will always be a lot bigger than the market for production items etc.

Wifey and I are enjoying Borderlands 2 right now. Lots of fun blowing stuff up, and enough RPG elements to satisfy my loot collecting OCD. Most fun co-op play since saints row, IMHO. Also anybody on Xbox live should check out Happy Wars, it's free to download and fun to play.

My wife and I are playing Borderlands 2 as well. Our code phrase for initiating a play session if we are sitting around doing nothing is "wanna go blow some mess up?" Once one of us says that,it's on!

I'm itching to go and buy Ni No Kuni. A JRPG by Level 5 and Studio Ghibli, yes that Studio Ghibli. It's getting great reviews.

Also, XCOM: Enemy Unkiwn is an awesome game for us strategy game guys.

Edited by dicjones