• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Django Unchained NECA Action Figures--who's buying?

117 posts in this topic

NECA's remaining stock of Django and Stephen action figures sold out within hours after news broke this morning that it would be halting production of its Django Unchained line of toys.

TMZ and other news outlets have reported that the total amount of dolls released is somewhere in the ballpark of 1000. Prices are skyrocketing. BINs for Django are selling at $300 while auctions for the figure could end at a higher price. (Broomhilda was going for well over $500 even before this news broke. Now, it's probably a $1000 figure. But you can still get a Candie, Schultz, or Butch figure for a relatively modest price.)

When's the last time a toy intended for mass production was worth this much or enjoyed this much attention?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Action-Figures-/246/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=django+unchained

http://www.examiner.com/article/controversial-django-unchained-action-figures-shelved

Do you know why Broomhilda is going for so much more than the others?

She was probably the short packed figure, one to a case. Everyone wants the Django figure so he's be most populated in the case pack an if they put 3 of him, 2 of Candie, Schmidt and Stephen they'd round out the case with 1 Broomhilda thinking her the one that can get short packed without being missed.

That phenomenon has been happening in action figures since the 80's. Companies, believing that boys (their target consumers) wouldn't buy as many female character figures, would short pack the female character in whatever wave of figures they were releasing.

I don't know anything about the movie, nor do I care. But on general principles alone I'm strongly in favor of 8", window-boxed pop-culture action figures dolls with real fabric costumes -- very '70s Mego Barbie.

Cute.

I actually have a house full of Barbies. I think they're included as standard equipment with most daughters. You're not a real man until you've accidentally stepped on a pink Barbie high-heel shoe in your bare feet...

I remember in 1993 when Disney was the only group that held the license of the Nightmare Before Christmas stores. The figures were only available in Disney Stores and the theme parks. Figures were going for an easy $100-150 each when Disney stopped distribution as in retrospect it did not feel that distributing a skeleton in a Santa Claus suit was the image it wanted to promote. The figures quickly disappeared.

Today those figures are not worth anywhere close to $100-150 each. In fact the NECA remakes go for more.

I remember that time. Was that the first run of figures from the movie? There was a great secondary market for those for 6-7 years. I still remember selling the large Oogie Boogie MISB complete with bugs for $450.

Those were the only run. Disney quickly held them back and put them on clearance. I liked the movie and had a connection there. I wanted the figures for myself. A year or two later, when I found out how much people were paying for them I quickly sold them and made a hefty profit. (For the people that are shaking their head, $50 in my cost for figures or turning that into hundreds of dollars that could be used for college books was a no brainer. Free college books!)

Years later... I think after a decade passed, Necca got the license and redid the figures in a McFarlanesque style. Those are no incredibly popular leaving the original offering from Mattel?/Disney as unwanted throwaway figures.

Now nearing 4K...lol. And you know there are probably hundreds more of these that are still in the 'warehouse' and uncirculated. To many spending hundreds or thousands on a comic book in crazy - too each his own.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NECA-DJANGO-UNCHAINED-6-ACTION-FIGURE-COMPLETE-RARE-SET-BROOMHILDA-STEPHEN-/230913368444?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item35c382617c

Now nearing 4K...lol. And you know there are probably hundreds more of these that are still in the 'warehouse' and uncirculated. To many spending hundreds or thousands on a comic book in crazy - too each his own.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NECA-DJANGO-UNCHAINED-6-ACTION-FIGURE-COMPLETE-RARE-SET-BROOMHILDA-STEPHEN-/230913368444?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item35c382617c

We've got at least one shill in that auction, it looks like.

That doesn't explain all of the price though. lol

Side note: While these were spiking like crazy and people were bidding $400-500 or more for some figures I got 2 of each of 4 of the figures for $39 each from NECA. They didn't have Broomhilda or Django anymore (and are totally sold out of everything now) but it struck me as hilarious that people were going nuts bidding hundreds of bucks for figures when they could have instantly bought the same figures direct from NECA with a 30 second search.

NECA's remaining stock of Django and Stephen action figures sold out within hours after news broke this morning that it would be halting production of its Django Unchained line of toys.

TMZ and other news outlets have reported that the total amount of dolls released is somewhere in the ballpark of 1000. Prices are skyrocketing. BINs for Django are selling at $300 while auctions for the figure could end at a higher price. (Broomhilda was going for well over $500 even before this news broke. Now, it's probably a $1000 figure. But you can still get a Candie, Schultz, or Butch figure for a relatively modest price.)

When's the last time a toy intended for mass production was worth this much or enjoyed this much attention?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Action-Figures-/246/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=django+unchained

http://www.examiner.com/article/controversial-django-unchained-action-figures-shelved

Do you know why Broomhilda is going for so much more than the others?

She was probably the short packed figure, one to a case. Everyone wants the Django figure so he's be most populated in the case pack an if they put 3 of him, 2 of Candie, Schmidt and Stephen they'd round out the case with 1 Broomhilda thinking her the one that can get short packed without being missed.

That phenomenon has been happening in action figures since the 80's. Companies, believing that boys (their target consumers) wouldn't buy as many female character figures, would short pack the female character in whatever wave of figures they were releasing.

Makes sense! Thank you for explaining!

Side note: While these were spiking like crazy and people were bidding $400-500 or more for some figures I got 2 of each of 4 of the figures for $39 each from NECA. They didn't have Broomhilda or Django anymore (and are totally sold out of everything now) but it struck me as hilarious that people were going nuts bidding hundreds of bucks for figures when they could have instantly bought the same figures direct from NECA with a 30 second search.

I didn't even know about these til this thread. Would love to own a Stephen though. One of my favorite characters in the movie.

I didn't even know about these til this thread. Would love to own a Stephen though. One of my favorite characters in the movie.

The set of 6 just ended at $5100

:eek: STOMMMM!!!

The weirdest part. Buying a set of these for $5k in 2013 seems utterly sane compared to when someone bought a Tickle Me Elmo in 1996 for $5k at the height of the craze.

(Adjusted for inflation that's like spending $7500 today).

I'd rather take the Django dolls. In a battle of crazy people with too much money, there's always someone who's more crazy, who has more money, or both.

I sold 4 Djangos this weekend...

Thanks for saving me one... I'm short a Django for my set. :P

The weirdest part. Buying a set of these for $5k in 2013 seems utterly sane compared to when someone bought a Tickle Me Elmo in 1996 for $5k at the height of the craze.

I'd rather take the Django dolls. In a battle of crazy people with too much money, there's always someone who's more crazy, who has more money, or both.

Did you see the people buying Twinkies? :screwy:

I saw the people buying MY Twinkies. lol

I saved a couple boxes and gave them out (taped to the regular gift cards I give out) to my postal carrier, garbage man, UPS guy, etc etc.

You should have seen the smiles. lol

I also got a huge discount on some jewelry for my wife by giving the guy who owned the shop a box of Chocolate filled Twinkies for his kids.

So we've established that Twinkies, Ammo, and Django Unchained figures are the currency of the apocalypse.

I saved a couple boxes and gave them out (taped to the regular gift cards I give out) to my postal carrier, garbage man, UPS guy, etc etc.

I also got a huge discount on some jewelry for my wife by giving the guy who owned the shop a box of Chocolate filled Twinkies for his kids.

So we've established that Twinkies, Ammo, and Django Unchained figures are the currency of the apocalypse.

Too bad people do not realize that Hostess owned their own distribution. When Hostess shut down so did the distribution. Somewhere in middle america is a warehouse of Twinkies that are awaiting discovery like the Mile High Collection.

Too bad people do not realize that Hostess owned their own distribution. When Hostess shut down so did the distribution. Somewhere in middle america is a warehouse of Twinkies that are awaiting discovery like the Mile High Collection.

I think I read somewhere that they were shipping all remaining product but who knows?

The press reported that only 1000 were released. But I think that was as of Jan 18 when neca announced it was stopping production. Literally, between 10am and 5pm, NECA sold at least another 1000 on eBay. They even sold Django in waves of 20 figures, with each subsequent wave costing more than the last; I think the highest NECA sold a wave for was $130. And then the flippers came in!

And, yeah, Broomhilda, like Butch, is short-packed--one per case. Except until this weekend, you couldn't give Butch away. Django, Candie, and Stephen are two per case.

The same ppl who are dropping $500 on Django today could've gotten him for $30 three weeks ago. Stupidity.

I sold 4 Djangos this weekend...

Thanks for saving me one... I'm short a Django for my set. :P

I like that old song, Mr Bodjango.

lol