• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Django Unchained NECA Action Figures--who's buying?

117 posts in this topic

NECA's remaining stock of Django and Stephen action figures sold out within hours after news broke this morning that it would be halting production of its Django Unchained line of toys.

TMZ and other news outlets have reported that the total amount of dolls released is somewhere in the ballpark of 1000. Prices are skyrocketing. BINs for Django are selling at $300 while auctions for the figure could end at a higher price. (Broomhilda was going for well over $500 even before this news broke. Now, it's probably a $1000 figure. But you can still get a Candie, Schultz, or Butch figure for a relatively modest price.)

When's the last time a toy intended for mass production was worth this much or enjoyed this much attention?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Action-Figures-/246/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=django+unchained

http://www.examiner.com/article/controversial-django-unchained-action-figures-shelved

Pretty cool. Not $300+ cool, but still cool.

I don't know anything about the movie, nor do I care. But on general principles alone I'm strongly in favor of 8", window-boxed pop-culture action figures with real fabric costumes -- very '70s Mego.

The only lightning like this I've managed to catch was picking up a box of Ding Dongs the night Hostess folded.

I watched as people were paying stupid money for them the next few days. Watched with a smile as prices kept going higher and higher.

...Then I ate my box of Ding Dongs and laughed.

The only lightning like this I've managed to catch was picking up a box of Ding Dongs the night Hostess folded.

I watched as people were paying stupid money for them the next few days. Watched with a smile as prices kept going higher and higher.

...Then I ate my box of Ding Dongs and laughed.

"We were outraged. We feel that it trivializes the horrors of slavery and what African Americans experienced."

:facepalm:

At this point it's clear that people actively seek reasons to be butthurt.

What's the move here? Are people going to really care about the movie and this stupid "controversy" 5 years from now to shell out thousands for a set? Is 1000 really that small of a number?

I don't know anything about the movie, nor do I care. But on general principles alone I'm strongly in favor of 8", window-boxed pop-culture action figures dolls with real fabric costumes -- very '70s Mego Barbie.

Yes they have :o complete set of 6 right now at $2025 :o

The Broomhilda single has 51 bids for $1076.

Should have bought these when I first heard the rumblings of discontent :(

There are a lot that are sitting much lower than those bids too. I sense some shilling as well.

Neca had figures listed yesterday at much lower prices with a BIN.

At the same time the "Stephen" figure was $79 from NECA there was one with a $500 bid on it.

NECA's remaining stock of Django and Stephen action figures sold out within hours after news broke this morning that it would be halting production of its Django Unchained line of toys.

TMZ and other news outlets have reported that the total amount of dolls released is somewhere in the ballpark of 1000. Prices are skyrocketing. BINs for Django are selling at $300 while auctions for the figure could end at a higher price. (Broomhilda was going for well over $500 even before this news broke. Now, it's probably a $1000 figure. But you can still get a Candie, Schultz, or Butch figure for a relatively modest price.)

When's the last time a toy intended for mass production was worth this much or enjoyed this much attention?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Action-Figures-/246/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=django+unchained

http://www.examiner.com/article/controversial-django-unchained-action-figures-shelved

Do you know why Broomhilda is going for so much more than the others?

I remember in 1993 when Disney was the only group that held the license of the Nightmare Before Christmas stores. The figures were only available in Disney Stores and the theme parks. Figures were going for an easy $100-150 each when Disney stopped distribution as in retrospect it did not feel that distributing a skeleton in a Santa Claus suit was the image it wanted to promote. The figures quickly disappeared.

Today those figures are not worth anywhere close to $100-150 each. In fact the NECA remakes go for more.

I remember in 1993 when Disney was the only group that held the license of the Nightmare Before Christmas stores. The figures were only available in Disney Stores and the theme parks. Figures were going for an easy $100-150 each when Disney stopped distribution as in retrospect it did not feel that distributing a skeleton in a Santa Claus suit was the image it wanted to promote. The figures quickly disappeared.

Today those figures are not worth anywhere close to $100-150 each. In fact the NECA remakes go for more.

I remember that time. Was that the first run of figures from the movie? There was a great secondary market for those for 6-7 years. I still remember selling the large Oogie Boogie MISB complete with bugs for $450.