• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate crackheads!

34 posts in this topic

People who crack open CGC (or PGX) graded books with the intent of selling them at a higher grade really irritate me.

Its not like mis-grading a raw comic - you know EXACTLY what the grade is.

I have a dealer Ive bought maybe 50 odd books from - on ebay and off.

Never had a problem with him.

He emails me and says he has some Golden Age books I might like - Submariner #1, Silver Streak #1, and a Phantom Lady #17 he has on ebay.

Im interested in all of them.

Tells me the Subby is a 1.8, but looking at the scan I see the spine is completely taped up.

So knowing that Overstreet isnt the best indicator of market price for scarcer Golden Age, I start looking online to see what Subby 1 has sold for recently.

Then I see the EXACT same comic he was trying to sell me. He just bought it on ebay last month. And it was slabbed - grade 1.0. With spine and cover reinforced.

Then i looked at his recent ebay purchases and noticed the other books he was trying to sell me were also just recently purchased on ebay.

The other books were qualified labelled, which wasnt disclosed to me after he cracked them.

Its sad when you build trust with a dealer, and they blatantly try to abuse that trust for a quick buck. And then have the nerve to get upset when you call them out on it.

Hes going to try to sell them at a comic convention. Beware. dont believe the grade.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_2a.jpg

I'm not saying cracking a book with the intent to mislead is a good business practice, but to say a book absolutely, positively, unequivocally, and without question is only the grade assigned to it by CGC is pretty close minded, especially considering how much a grade can fluctuate just based on a straight resub.

youre right, but nondisclosure is pretty evident.

plus to think a book thats a 1, with no spine existing at all, could possibly get a 1.5 or 1.8 isnt right.

but you are right. sometimes a book graded years ago might get a slightly higher grade if less stringent standards now exist.

also, would there be much difference going from PGX to CGC?

I'm not saying cracking a book with the intent to mislead is a good business practice, but to say a book absolutely, positively, unequivocally, and without question is only the grade assigned to it by CGC is pretty close minded, especially considering how much a grade can fluctuate just based on a straight resub.

Disagreeing with the CGC grade is fine but a good seller would disclose this information.

What this guy is doing is overgrading purposefully to make a profit. Selling qualified as universal is even worse.

youre right, but nondisclosure is pretty evident.

plus to think a book thats a 1, with no spine existing at all, could possibly get a 1.5 or 1.8 isnt right.

but you are right. sometimes a book graded years ago might get a slightly higher grade if less stringent standards now exist.

also, would there be much difference going from PGX to CGC?

I agree with you. People who crack restored books and sell them as non restored and people who crack lower grade books and sell them raw advertising a higher grade are the scum of the industry.

however, I personally don't agree with pressing books pre-1980, so I don't like that people crack those and reslab them.

I just wanted to ask though, who are you talking about?

If he is intentionally selling restored books as unrestored, he's not a decent guy.

Everyone is going to have a book slip through by accident. If it is done on purpose, I don't want to ever deal with the person (business or socially) again.

this seller is not on the boards. his ebay handle is papamiggs62.

decent guy, never had an issue with him in the past. but im going to recheck every book i bought from him for signs of resto now. although itd be too late to do anything about it.

Well while we're on the subject...steer clear of this notorious crackhead...cracks out CGC restored books and then bumps the grade one or two or more grades...and presumably if it's just a dot of color touch or super-subtle aspect of resto, sells the books as unrestored...

Bad bad mojo! :censored::boo:

all_things_comics

http://www.ebay.com/sch/all_things_comics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654

formerly bijoubaby05...cdpaoli...lexerific...aram321...etal...

Well while we're on the subject...steer clear of this notorious crackhead...cracks out CGC restored books and then bumps the grade one or two or more grades...and presumably if it's just a dot of color touch or super-subtle aspect of resto, sells the books as unrestored...

all_things_comics

http://www.ebay.com/sch/all_things_comics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654

He just won my Avengers #1 PLOD 6.5 doh!

Im sure it will turn up on Ebay as an 8 or so in the near future

this seller is not on the boards. his ebay handle is papamiggs62.

decent guy, never had an issue with him in the past. but im going to recheck every book i bought from him for signs of resto now. although itd be too late to do anything about it.

I don't see why it should be?

Finding resto on a book that was undisclosed at point of sale should be an open-ended return by any decent seller.

True. But then again when selling it raw with your own grade assigned, and using CGC census to base your expectations on price, that's just as misguided. Those census prices are for comics graded by CGC, not comics graded by that dealer. If a seller wants top dollar then strict grading seems like a good practice.

all_things_comics

I just followed your link and looked at two of his books (All Winners #1 and NY World's Fair 1939), he lists the restoration on both books. I don't agree with the grade on the All Winners, but his grade on the NY WF seems to be pretty fair.

Just sampling his listings, not meant as an endorsement