• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do speculators make this hobby better or worse?

132 posts in this topic

That bloody ASM #700 DITKO variant is a case in point.

And to show how absolutely silly the entire ASM 700 thing is,

I just bought a gorgeous slabbed AF 15 for 30% LESS than that slabbed ASM 700 signed by Stan Lee got a couple of weeks ago.

That's how you know somethings fudged up in funny book town.

+ 1

That's getting a bit mental.

I'm beginning to despise variant covers. I didn't start collecting any of the new Marvel Now series because of the variant cover cr@p.

This is the problem I was eluding to. The speculators are not creating these books. It's the speculators willingness to BUY them, and the publishers taking FULL advantage of that willingness.

At first glance you want to blame the buyers. I can understand that. Im of the opinion however, that at the end of the day, the publishers have full control of the comic market, and they decide whats printed. They need to take care of it, and be resonable. Don't try to squeeze every dollar out of these people by creating variant after variant, reboot after reboot. Not only will it turn off short-term speculators, it will turn off long term collectors who like to have most of the books printed for their character of choice.

I think it's the variant covers. You're essentially printing money by creating scarcity. That's awful. Blows me away when I see people making hundreds of dollars more on a story that's EXACTLY THE SAME.

That said, I think the speculation of TV/film is just as bad. I wish I could teach a class on the way a TV production comes to life. The fact that a comic book is optioned means ABSOLUTELY nothing. Just because a comic has a -script in development means ABSOLUTELY nothing. These are essentially modern day ashcans and copyrights, to ensure another network doesn't take/infringe on the idea of a property. Until you hear that property/franchise has a timeslot and start seeing paid support to amplify it, It has just as much a chance of having a show as any of us. I love ToT, Revival, Bedlam, PP, etc, but they're not going to be on TV anytime soon, if at all.

I just bought a gorgeous slabbed AF 15 for 30% LESS than that slabbed ASM 700 signed by Stan Lee got a couple of weeks ago.

That's how you know somethings fudged up in funny book town.

Nice! (thumbs u

It seems this is happening regularly, and on a daily basis in the sports card hobby. New autographed/jersey/hard signed/refractor/etc. cards are being opened from packs and hyped as a get rich quick scheme. Sadly, if you walk into a shop and show them any vintage HOF or RC's, they won't even look at them. Forget about how the hobby shows and promotions side has dwindled, but I just can't wrap my head around how a hobby can sustain itself on "manufactured" collectibles.

It's the bizarro opposite of how the comic hobby gravitates to back issue "keys" or the tendency to glorify the throwback era of where/when characters appearing in films first originated. As bad as it seems to find a few people making it rain with the ASM 700 or WD craze, I'd be far more concerned as a collector of sport cards with the long-term health of that hobby.

What I do is great, what you do sucks.

I like variant covers... just not eighteen of a single issue or a variant cover, or two, for every issue published.

Self control versus self abuse.

That's how you know something's fudged up in funny book town.

Well done.

In the words of Jack Ryder, one of the sanest comic book characters ever created...

'I am right and you are wrong!' :baiting:

They do both.

Speculators help facilitate markets by increasing liquidity, bearing risk and reducing sell/buy spreads.

They also drive up prices, become over zealous and help create spectacular boom bust cycles.

I guess you take the good with the bad.

But I would rather have a healthy market with sensible speculation than no market at all, but it seems right now that some sections are overinflated.

Bingo. Love em or hate them, they are an ingredient that helps the market.

I like variant covers... just not eighteen of a single issue or a variant cover, or two, for every issue published.

Self control versus self abuse.

imagesqtbnANd9GcS-cFY66EailQAyusslL.jpg

Colour.

That's how you know something's fudged up in funny book town.

garycoleman-wtf.gif

I think it's the variant covers. You're essentially printing money by creating scarcity. That's awful. Blows me away when I see people making hundreds of dollars more on a story that's EXACTLY THE SAME.

That said, I think the speculation of TV/film is just as bad. I wish I could teach a class on the way a TV production comes to life. The fact that a comic book is optioned means ABSOLUTELY nothing. Just because a comic has a -script in development means ABSOLUTELY nothing. These are essentially modern day ashcans and copyrights, to ensure another network doesn't take/infringe on the idea of a property. Until you hear that property/franchise has a timeslot and start seeing paid support to amplify it, It has just as much a chance of having a show as any of us. I love ToT, Revival, Bedlam, PP, etc, but they're not going to be on TV anytime soon, if at all.

Have you told the Panzerfaust speculators about this? I can't remember a book ever increasing in value so rapidly for no good reason at all. A raw copy has gone up roughly 500% in just a few months. For what reason? On the basis that bbc is making a motion comic that will likely never become a show?

Peter panzerfaust has garnered cult status...it's no longer about a tv show. Though that was certainly a launching point. Print run on #1 is lower than Chew #1 and #2 is even lower. And there's people buying it that have actually read the comic, and, enjoy it. :o