• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time payments and deposits. Need input.

194 posts in this topic

I had two time payments fall through in the last month. In both cases I sent the buyers emails telling them that they had an additional 10 days to complete the sale or they would forfeit the down-payment money and the book.

In one case I heard back and the buyer told me that he was at fault and I should relist the book and keep the cash. The 2nd buyer never responded I relisted both books here on the boards and sold them in 24 hours. If the buyer failed to complete the transaction and it was stated up front that the money was non refundable then the seller owes him nothing.

Gotta go with Doug on this one. Buyer was crystal clear on the terms of the deal, was happy with them and THEN told a bare-faced lie about the "checks in the mail". I think you should keep the money AND out them. If it were me, and the buyer had a "personal issue" and requested out of the deal, then I would have been much, much more understanding about. But the whole lie part and buying another book from Clink sours me on being generous personally.

With this new info i may have to go back and read the threads details in regards to the time period involved. I totally get keeping a non- refundable deposit but it sounds like this happened over a relatively short period of time and while it sounds like the buyer was legitimately late I'm starting to feel his payment came in a time period that wouldn't warrant keeping the deposit for failure to complete imo.

I mean speaking for myself if i did a deal like that i would only keep the deposit if the guy backed out of the deal. I would give him every opportunity to complete that deal however and if I wanted to move on without giving some extra time for the buyer to make good i would refund the entire deposit minus expenses like paypal fees. IDK maybe i would keep a much smaller retainer but $300-$600 does seem excessive given it seems the seller was in a hurry to get out of the deal after the c-link win was posted.

It's looking like if a little more patience was involved the seller would have been paid in full. i think Joey suggested a $100 fee for holding the book earlier and thats looking a l ot more reasonable to me considering this new info.

Translation: Now that I know this is Trannypants, FU Trannypants. Game Day Bucket go Boom!

And the reason I thought it best to post anonymously.

You are a CG hot button.

As I've said, I don't think the buyer was lying. He wasn't trying to scam anyone. I'm not going to out him. I was just very surprised that he reacted so negatively and tried to file a Paypal case when I said I was considering HIS request for a partial refund. He didn't have to send a check, but he offered and I accepted. He could easily have Paypal'd the money if he wanted. But I would have been satisfied if he had just done what he said he would and mailed the checks as promised. Instead, he waited another week.

As I've said, I don't think the buyer was lying. He wasn't trying to scam anyone. I'm not going to out him. I was just very surprised that he reacted so negatively and tried to file a Paypal case when I said I was considering HIS request for a partial refund. He didn't have to send a check, but he offered and I accepted. He could easily have Paypal'd the money if he wanted. But I would have been satisfied if he had just done what he said he would and mailed the checks as promised. Instead, he waited another week.

I would take my closest friends to dinner with the $600.00 and then post pictures of them enjoying themselves on the buyers dime.

I would take my closest friends to dinner with the $600.00 and then post pictures of them enjoying themselves on the buyers dime.

Now that's harsh lol

+1

Three people can eat a hell of a lot for $600.

I guess the question comes down to whether it's worth the aggravation and annoyance you will endure for the sake of keeping a deposit of $600 plus the book that was at the center of the deal. I've already said my piece on PayPal, and I can tell you that if push came to shove, and the credit card company sides with the buyers, PayPal won't absorb the loss. My experience, as well as the web-based evidence on this topic seem to indicate that it isn't uncommon or unusual for chargebacks to occur several months after the transaction date.

There is also a very real and meaty discussion surrounding the legality of keeping a deposit. This has come up on other message boards before, and I can tell you that 9 out of 10 times, when this type of thing comes up, consumer action groups get up in arms and relegate this type of activity as unlawful. Of course this highly depends on rights provided to consumers in their respective country/state, but the optics of the situation is what it is.

I think ultimately a partial remittance ($100) from the deposit amount for your troubles is less punitive and still gets the message across without the discord, resentment, animosity, grudge, and petty ill will that keeping that kind of money from someone who feels you have no right to keep will produce.

Three people can eat a hell of a lot for $600.

Restaurants bring out the gilded feeding troughs for that kind of money.

I would take three of my favorite boardies to Atlantis Strip Club with the $600.00 and really post some good pics.

I guess the question comes down to whether it's worth the aggravation and annoyance you will endure for the sake of keeping a deposit of $600 plus the book that was at the center of the deal. I've already said my piece on PayPal, and I can tell you that if push came to shove, and the credit card company sides with the buyers, PayPal won't absorb the loss. My experience, as well as the web-based evidence on this topic seem to indicate that it isn't uncommon or unusual for chargebacks to occur several months after the transaction date.

There is also a very real and meaty discussion surrounding the legality of keeping a deposit. This has come up on other message boards before, and I can tell you that 9 out of 10 times, when this type of thing comes up, consumer action groups get up in arms and relegate this type of activity as unlawful. Of course this highly depends on rights provided to consumers in their respective country/state, but the optics of the situation is what it is.

I think ultimately a partial remittance ($100) from the deposit amount for your troubles is less punitive and still gets the message across without the discord, resentment, animosity, grudge, and petty ill will that keeping that kind of money from someone who feels you have no right to keep will produce.

What if the book's value dropped $600 in the meantime?

It's funny you should mention this very predicament, because if you recall some time ago, I purchased a book from you that mysteriously went missing. I paid for it, waited some time, and then heard from you that you couldn't find it.

During that time, I had already contacted a very good customer of mine who had been looking for the book indicating one was waiting in the wing. When the snafu occurred, rather than looking like a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I took my own personal copy - which I preferred not to sell - and offered it up to him. I gave it to him at below my cost, and even covered the shipping.

I didn't ask Timmay to start a thread asking if I should out the seller for coming up with some lame excuse that they lost a book from the time they took a scan and posted it on the boards. Even though at the time, it sucked to be left in the lurch. Wasn't a big deal, but the trickle effect was aggravating and did cause me financial loss.

Then several months later, the book reappeared and you contacted me asking if I still wanted it. I appreciated the gesture and took you up on it, even though at that point, the whole situation was a bit of a sore point because I had to let go of a personal copy that I probably won't ever be able to replace in the same condition.

Accidents happen, water under a bridge was the attitude I went with and up until today, there never was a need to drudge-up the situation.

I guess it comes down to asking yourself if the need to keep this money is really worth the aggravation and annoyances it will produce. Some people, myself included, wouldn't even bother and just eat whatever price differences and notch it up as a lesson. Ironically in at least my own experience it was done for a reason which I've described above, and which involved you as a seller with a less than stellar ability to manage a sale situation with time management and buyer expectation in mind.

It's funny you should mention this very predicament, because if you recall some time ago, I purchased a book from you that mysteriously went missing. I paid for it, waited some time, and then heard from you that you couldn't find it.

During that time, I had already contacted a very good customer of mine who had been looking for the book indicating one was waiting in the wing. When the snafu occurred, rather than looking like a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I took my own personal copy - which I preferred not to sell - and offered it up to him. I gave it to him at below my cost, and even covered the shipping.

I didn't ask Timmay to start a thread asking if I should out the seller for coming up with some lame excuse that they lost a book from the time they took a scan and posted it on the boards. Even though at the time, it sucked to be left in the lurch. Wasn't a big deal, but the trickle effect was aggravating and did cause me financial loss.

Then several months later, the book reappeared and you contacted me asking if I still wanted it. I appreciated the gesture and took you up on it, even though at that point, the whole situation was a bit of a sore point because I had to let go of a personal copy that I probably won't ever be able to replace in the same condition.

Accidents happen, water under a bridge was the attitude I went with and up until today, there never was a need to drudge-up the situation.

I guess it comes down to asking yourself if the need to keep this money is really worth the aggravation and annoyances it will produce. Some people, myself included, wouldn't even bother and just eat whatever price differences and notch it up as a lesson. Ironically in at least my own experience it was done for a reason which I've described above, and which involved you as a seller with a less than stellar ability to manage a sale situation with time management and buyer expectation in mind.

I can certainly see how that $20 book which I ultimately offered to let you keep for free, after it returned back at my house from Canada post, is analogous to the situation. Thanks for keeping it classy. If it makes you feel better, I'll Paypal you $20 so you come out ahead for having to give up a personal book of yours.

Btw, some time ago = 2010.

Is that what it took?
Joseph was actually one of the folks I was thinking about. I sent his book out and after about forever, it never showed so I refunded and then out of the blue it showed back up at my house. So I've now resent. Hopefully the Canadian postal gods will guide it there this time.

Mike's good people. Happy to get the Woody Woodpecker 191 - off to the marketplace :baiting:

I think I did keep it classy. It's not about the amount, but the situation, and if anyone here would know, I would think you would be someone that would understand things happen. We don't even understand what personal issues came into play with the buyer, and I respect the individual's privacy, but in my mind, that would also be a factor in deciding whether to return it.

If you want to tilt the outing of the situation as something negative or some personal attack against, that's your interpretation of the situation, but I find it contextually appropriate given the circumstances involving your determining that keeping someone's money is appropriate because they couldn't manage their transactional obligation.

For the record, you have never mentioned any dissatisfaction with our deal, including the fact that I refunded you the money when it didn't show up in the mail within a reasonable time. Then I mailed it again. You got the book and I told you not to pay anything as I was sorry it took so long to get there.

Who has a bigger problem managing their transaction? Me or the person selling a book they don't have in hand yet?

Finally, you essentially called me a liar in your post. That was the extra classy part. Notice I haven't explicitly stated that I think your story of having to turn over a personal book is completely fabricated or totally full of . I'm above that I guess. Or that waiting 3 years to get my panties In a twist over a $20 book makes you a raging whiner. No need to stoop that low.

As I've stated, here and in the PMs with the buyer, I've not decided whether to keep some, all or none of the deposit.

For the record, you have never mentioned any dissatisfaction with our deal, including the fact that I refunded you the money when it didn't show up in the mail within a reasonable time. Then I mailed it again. You got the book and I told you not to pay anything as I was sorry it took so long to get there.

Who has a bigger problem managing their transaction? Me or the person selling a book they don't have in hand yet?

Finally, you essentially called me a liar in your post. That was the extra classy part. Notice I haven't explicitly stated that I think your story of having to turn over a personal book is completely fabricated or totally full of . I'm above that I guess. Or that waiting 3 years to get my panties In a twist over a $20 book makes you a raging whiner. No need to stoop that low.

As I've stated, here and in the PMs with the buyer, I've not decided whether to keep some, all or none of the deposit.

Everything I explained took place, and while I'll let that comment slide about me fabricating the situation, all I will add is that if the intention of this thread was to get people to agree that keeping someone's deposit is justified for the reasons you stated, then my participation will only offend and disrupt that course of action. It's big of you to be sitting on someone's money while you decide, but keep in mind not everyone is as patient and understanding as you.