• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time payments and deposits. Need input.

194 posts in this topic

Ive done lots of timed payments. Only ever had 1 not pay up. we came up with an amount for me to keep and i refunded him the rest. to me was not thatbig a deal. i just took out paypal fees, what it would cost me to list it, and $5 or something. other than a month in time i was not out anything. even sold the book for a little more.

And i did not out the person. Dont really see the need in that. i just let that 1 person know we could not deal like that ever again.

thats just what i did

thanks all and god bless!!!!

1/23: Buyer purchases $1200 book in CLink auction.

Did the buyer post the C-Link book on the boards?

Yes.

This would be referred to as the "slap in the face". The plot thicks......

It's not really that thick. Timmay was nice enough to post on my behalf as I wanted to genuinely see what the consensus was on the boards.

I was upset that the buyer did not communicate with me that he was going to be late and that he lied about sending checks to me. Technically, he was late. But I was willing to let it slide if I got the checks by the date that he told the first one would be postdated (1/25), but I didn't. In fact, since I did receive them yesterday, I discovered they weren't postmarked until 1/23: 2 days after he said they mailed and a week after he promised to get them in the mail. Add to that, the buyer posted publicly that he won a four figure book and I was upset. When I didn't receive the checks on 1/26, I decided it was time to cut bait.

The book at issue, IMHO, is pretty time sensitive. Lots of sales but fluctuations. So I listed it on Ebay. I never intended to keep all of the deposit, although I firmly believe that I'm entitled to. Part of the reason for the deposit is that the boardie is really new and I've never dealt with him before. My plan was to refund half the deposit once the book sold on Ebay.

But then the started. He accused me of scamming him and throwing a hissy fit and being a jerk, etc. As my friends have kindly pointed out, I can be a jerk, so I don't fault him that criticism. Then he filed a Paypal dispute after I had told him I was considering a partial refund as he requested. FYI, it was after 45 days so Paypal doesn't consider it a valid dispute and there's no chance of it being rescinded.

In the end, I am not going to out the guy here. I don't think this rises to that level. He's not a scammer. He's just guilty of being forgetful and inconsiderate and then overreacting. He's aware of the thread, so he can chime in he feels I've misrepresented anything. The buyer made it clear that he did not want to complete the transaction once I notified him of my intention to list it. So that's not an option. I'm still, despite the way he acted, considering a refund once the books sells, just like I originally told him.

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

Chiming in late, but the buyer could have purchased the CLink book with a credit card, which he can't use on your book if you requested he send you check/cash.

Not the smartest financial endeavor, but certainly plausible and not really that unusual for a cash strapped individual.

The lying about it is pretty crappy. Not sure why he dug a hole like that needlessly.

If this was a paypal deposit, funded by cc, the buyer may be able to get the deposit back, 45 days or not, agreed to terms of non refundable or not. A simple call to my AMEX customer service and pop, the refund is done.

If we are just engaging in what is fair and right , or other philosophy of the nature of good vs evil or whatever then chit chat away.

BTW, as a seller, I would just refund, and block the buyer. Not deal with him again, and just move on. If there were actual damages then sure, a penalty makes sense. But in this case, to me its a life is to short, buyer overextended himself, block and move on deal.

With this new info i may have to go back and read the threads details in regards to the time period involved. I totally get keeping a non- refundable deposit but it sounds like this happened over a relatively short period of time and while it sounds like the buyer was legitimately late I'm starting to feel his payment came in a time period that wouldn't warrant keeping the deposit for failure to complete imo.

I mean speaking for myself if i did a deal like that i would only keep the deposit if the guy backed out of the deal. I would give him every opportunity to complete that deal however and if I wanted to move on without giving some extra time for the buyer to make good i would refund the entire deposit minus expenses like paypal fees. IDK maybe i would keep a much smaller retainer but $300-$600 does seem excessive given it seems the seller was in a hurry to get out of the deal after the c-link win was posted.

It's looking like if a little more patience was involved the seller would have been paid in full. i think Joey suggested a $100 fee for holding the book earlier and thats looking a l ot more reasonable to me considering this new info.

With this new info i may have to go back and read the threads details in regards to the time period involved. I totally get keeping a non- refundable deposit but it sounds like this happened over a relatively short period of time and while it sounds like the buyer was legitimately late I'm starting to feel his payment came in a time period that wouldn't warrant keeping the deposit for failure to complete imo.

I mean speaking for myself if i did a deal like that i would only keep the deposit if the guy backed out of the deal. I would give him every opportunity to complete that deal however and if I wanted to move on without giving some extra time for the buyer to make good i would refund the entire deposit minus expenses like paypal fees. IDK maybe i would keep a much smaller retainer but $300-$600 does seem excessive given it seems the seller was in a hurry to get out of the deal after the c-link win was posted.

It's looking like if a little more patience was involved the seller would have been paid in full. i think Joey suggested a $100 fee for holding the book earlier and thats looking a l ot more reasonable to me considering this new info.

Translation: Now that I know this is Trannypants, FU Trannypants. Game Day Bucket go Boom!

Translation: Now that I know this is Trannypants, FU Trannypants. Game Day Bucket go Boom!

:roflmao:

A dramatic turn of events

I think it's more like what we call a "Chicopee left" turn.

I'd go the full "Chappaquiddick left" on this one.

Seriously - what was the timeline on the payments? Did you expect to get a payment 1/26 (already very late I know) and it came 1/27?

And the reason I thought it best to post anonymously.