• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Bowl: Guess the total score and win!

224 posts in this topic

But that doesn't make it true and nobody else so far has agreed with you.

Considering the three individuals (besides us) who were posting tonight, that is not a very good qualification of your argument.

Wow it's ugly in here. Although I understand MW1's confusion after reading the first paragraph, I found the contest rules to be easily understood if they read the whole post rather than assuming the rules based on paragraph #1.

"Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome. One guess per person and this is good until thursday 12PM Pacific Time. The winner will win a small prize

-For example, my guess is 27 Bucs 20 Raiders for a total of 47 points.

A total can be chosen up to 4 times and whoever is the closest wins. If there is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winner correctly. If there still is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winning team's score more closely"

I don't care who wins. Araich won my last contest and I don't mind giving him another prize, but IMO mr highgrade won this one. Like Bug said, the "pick a winner" part of the contest was for tie breaker purposes.

I will no longer host contests since there are some dickheads who will always misinterpret what is stated based on a few sentences. Today has been a really bad day when it came to people just freaking reading. I guess being generous will just give you a headache here.

Good night! mad.gif

rickdogg,

You are mistaken. I understood what your intent was, but you chose the wrong language to express that intent. The argument that I'm making is not an easy one to comprehend. I do not blame you for not understanding it.

I will no longer host contests since there are some dickheads who will always misinterpret what is stated based on a few sentences.

By the way MW1.......that that Ricky's referring to in his sentence above.....shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Now thanks for coming in here like a complete hole and ruining what was meant to be a fun and generous act. mad.gif

I'm sorry to disappoint you Mr. Literary Scholar. I will make sure and have you run a spellling and grammar check the next time I post something you tool.

Rickdogg,

Look. I'm not faulting you for providing the opportunity for other forum members to participate in a contest. I think that's great and I respect that. All that I'm saying is that the language you used for your rules does not reconcile with the winner you have picked. I really don't care if you completely ignore my reasoning and if you choose to pick someone other than the winner. That is completely up to you. All that I'm saying is that based on the "boolean operator" you use in your first sentence, it logically follows that the winner of your contest actually has to pick the winner of the Superbowl.

Instead of arguing with me and using profanities on me, simply state that your intent was different than the rules stipulated by your language and we'll leave it at that.

Instead of arguing with me and using profanities on me, simply state that your intent was different than the rules stipulated by your language and we'll leave it at that.

He doesn't need to state that because you're the one that's wrong here. Even though your pompeous attitude won't let you admit it.

Super Bowl: Guess the total score and win!

"Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome. One guess per person and this is good until thursday 12PM Pacific Time. The winner will win a small prize (This is what I needed for the contest and was not the determining factor of the winner which is explained below)

-For example, my guess is 27 Bucs 20 Raiders for a total of 47 points.

A total can be chosen up to 4 times and whoever is the closest wins. If there is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winner correctly. If there still is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winning team's score more closely"

Based on the first paragraph I agree with your point, but after reading the whole thing including the title of this thread I would hope that someone would understand that I needed two predictions. (1) The total score (determining factor) & (2) the outcome (tie breaker). I needed these two things just in case someone chose the same exact point total. Plain and simple.

First it was coin collectors coming in here with their whining......and now it's the card collectors..........unbelievable. I wish you had to chose one area of the forum to participate in and couldn't jump back and forth. That would certainly help in these situations.

Wow cool....I come to work on what seems to be a typical monday morning, I fire up the 'puter and proceed to read the "Super-Bowl" thread.

I have not laughed so much this early in the morning and I thank MW1 and Bug for providing fun and whimsical entertainment.

First let me start out by stating this as simply as I can...

Ricky wanted the Total score....that being said I did not win....Duh

As far as I can tell MW1 would be able to argue what is means. The contest rules were so simplistic and easy to interpret (which is what Ricky was striving for) that to interpret the results any other way is pure folly.

Ricky, I think you should continue to run contests any time you damn well please. They provide plenty of entertainment around here with the banter that follows. Please send Mr. Highgrade his well deserved prize.... grin.gif

Rick,

I guess it really depends on how you define "outcome." To me, outcome means predicting the winner of the game. To say that the winner of the game is irrelevant except in the case where two individuals have the same number of total points, is trivial and rewrites the meaning of the first three sentences.

Take one more look at the first three sentences:

Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome. One guess per person and this is good until thursday 12PM Pacific Time. The winner will win a small prize

And then ask yourself the following question -- "What exactly does the WINNER have to do?"

Answer: "He has to guess that total score of Sunday's game AND predict the outcome."

I understand how you and several others are looking at this proposition, but based on how it is grammatically presented, I don't think the winner could have INCORRECTLY picked the outcome. In light of the first three sentences and even with respect to the corollaries that follow, it just doesn't make logical sense. Implied meaning, yes. Logical meaning, no.

Jeez, I'm sorry I brought it up!

I will provide prizes to BOTH Mr. Highgrade and araich. It's my fault this got brought up.

Seeing as the "over" was a profitable wager for me last night, please PM me.

Note to all who have made it through this thread:

I think that the contest organizer should award the prize to anyone he wishes. I'm simply trying to provide the perspective of a mathematician or one who is experienced in rhetoric. If you don't agree with me, that's fine. But I DO think that my reading of the rules allows for the only logical fulfillment of BOTH the original three sentences as well as the conditions that follow.