• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Bowl: Guess the total score and win!

224 posts in this topic

Super Bowl: Guess the total score and win!

"Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome. One guess per person and this is good until thursday 12PM Pacific Time. The winner will win a small prize (This is what I needed for the contest and was not the determining factor of the winner which is explained below)

-For example, my guess is 27 Bucs 20 Raiders for a total of 47 points.

A total can be chosen up to 4 times and whoever is the closest wins. If there is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winner correctly. If there still is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winning team's score more closely"

Based on the first paragraph I agree with your point, but after reading the whole thing including the title of this thread I would hope that someone would understand that I needed two predictions. (1) The total score (determining factor) & (2) the outcome (tie breaker). I needed these two things just in case someone chose the same exact point total. Plain and simple.

Donut,

don't even trip. tongue.gif Alteast you weren't being a [!@#%^&^] about it. All you asked was there a mistake. You were just trying to help with good intentions.

There are just some retards who do not read the whole thing. For example, some people make assumptions based on a cover rather than reading the actual book.

I reposted one of my last posts to once again explain my intentions, since there is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person who is fixated on just the first few sentences.

Rick,

wow! You actually understoood?!?!?! confused.gif Man, and I was here thinking...are people really that dumb? tongue.gif

Next time, i'll strive to have my contests flawless and make sure to run it by my lawyer before even posting it. I didn't think that a small (all in fun) contest would be ridiculed for not being perfect and fallacious in logical terms. I

I wonder if gemma is scared now! shocked.giftongue.gif

Based on the first paragraph I agree with your point, but after reading the whole thing including the title of this thread I would hope that someone would understand that I needed two predictions.

Rickdogg,

Whether you meant it that way or not, the first three sentences (you label them "Rules") act as your controlling statements and supersede the information that follows. I am saying this in a logical sense only. Also, a close reading of my interpretation does in fact satisfy all of your later corollaries. By now, I clearly understand what your "intent" was, and even though it doesn't make any sense to me why you would want to award a prize to someone who picked the wrong team to win the Superbowl, that's perfectly fine with me. You are awarding the prize, so you are entitled to set the rules.

GOD DAMN IT! smilie_tischkante.gif

It says:

Rules:

Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome. One guess per person and this is good until thursday 12PM Pacific Time. The winner will win a small prize

-For example, my guess is 27 Bucs 20 Raiders for a total of 47 points.

A total can be chosen up to 4 times and whoever is the closest wins. If there is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winner correctly. If there still is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winning team's score more closely.

-My guess was a total score of 47 and someone else can choose this total, but has to assume that the score will be 20 Bucs 27 Raiders etc.

Good luck and please BOLD your total to make life easier for me and everyone else. Thanks

The rules are the whole damn thing. I seperated everything a bit (similar to an auction listing) to have less clutter in order for people to see everything.

Okay, I have to go before I blow my brains out.

Damn....at the two minute warning my prediction was dead on....If only the Raiders QB was able to throw the ball to one of his teamates there would have been no question as to my sixth sense abilities.... wink.gif

Rickdogg,

Again, using your analysis, I could pick the following:

Patriots 48, Bears 21

...and I would be the winner since no "tie-breaker" would be needed (i.e., I would not have to actually pick the winning team). Using a more logical interpretation (the one I have been suggesting for several pages now), this outcome would be REJECTED by the wording of your first three sentences.

In a statistical sense then, your interpretation would likely be classified as an "outlier" or a result more than two standard deviations from the mean.

I would have granted the winner of that guess a prize if no one else chose that total. The "pick a winner" part was for tie breaker purposes.

Back to posting about other things. This is going nowhere and is wasting everyone's time as well as both of ours.

Based on the first paragraph I agree with your point, but after reading the whole thing including the title of this thread I would hope that someone would understand that I needed two predictions. (1) The total score (determining factor) & (2) the outcome (tie breaker). I needed these two things just in case someone chose the same exact point total. Plain and simple.

Rick - I understood that and broke it down step by step in detail for our friend. This was about 1AM. I noticed posts made around that time are no longer here. Not sure why. Maybe aftershock of the SQL Slammer.

So what did happen between 4am and 5am EST this morning?

Cue X-Files theme....

Rick says It looks like arch pulled about 30 posts! shocked.gif

Meanwhile Bug and murph0 are now feuding (?), with no visible footprints left in the forums? shocked.gif

Anyone able to mount an expedition to the penalty box to find out? wink.gif

The Truth is In There.

I actually read all the posts that have been pulled. It was not actually all that exiting. Mainly centered around whether or not the identities certain individuals had revealed were geniune or not.

The usual BS basically. grin.gif

Povertyrow is absolutely right...quite an oversight on my part. His brilliant dissertation on the migratory habits of North Atlantic plankton and their endangered status as a keystone species brought tears to my eyes. I still can't believe Povertyrow's magnificent and effervescent eloquence was relegated to that magical land where written word meets Internet trashcan.

MW1.......you must be a big Clinton fan. The whole world can tell you that you're wrong and yet you still can't admit it. Sad and pathetic little man.......sad and pathetic. You keep spouting off about the first 3 sentences in Ricky's post like those were all the rules he listed. Sorry to dissapoint you and prove you wrong for the 50th time......but his whole post consisted of the rules.....not just the first 3 sentences. The only logical conclusion is the one that everybody but you arrived at. Your conslusion is logical too.......but unfortunately.....it's flawed logic. smirk.gif

But continue to post in here about your great wisdom and logic. We can all use some more laughs. And murph0's flawed reasoning isn't as funny as it used to be so we could always use you as a backup for him. His parents must have bought him the worst education that a lot of money could afford.

I think we're all missing the point here and that is that the Raiders got [!@#%^&^]-slapped like the little 12-year old girls that they are. Even though I lost the contest (no matter how you interpret the rules), them getting their es kicked is prize enough for me!!