• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Bowl: Guess the total score and win!

224 posts in this topic

Did you come in second place or something? I mean, I haven't heard sour graping like this since CI was whining about never winning the trivia contest. And he sounded pretty damned pathetic, in case you were wondering. (Yes, that was a hint.)

MajorKhaos,

FYI, I did not predict an outcome (i.e., choose a winner) so there can be no "sour graping" on my part. I am merely restating the contest qualifications so that the proper winner is chosen. You don't have to agree with my logic or even believe me. In this case, I guess I would rather sound pathetic to someone like you than be logically inconclusive or redundantly incoherent.

First, this statement makes no sense. You contradict yourself. If computer programs can't think, you should have written the following instead:

Actually it makes perfect sense, if you stopped thinking like a computer (take that for a few loops). But this response goes to the meat of what I am saying. If you could not intuit AND accept my meaning then you have lost your humanity. I feel for you. I really do.

Most conventional contests use these methods for determining a winning.

Now THIS really took me by surprise. VERY sloppy and haphazard. Two qualifiers in one short sentence: "most" and "conventional". If you think this place is like "most" places you are wrong. If you think this place is "conventional" you are wrong. And we all know two wrongs don't make a right.

This statement does not work well using a boolean expression.

You are, of course, correct in that. An if...then statement would have been more appropriate. I guess my humanity is showing!

Here are the rules laid out in a more organized fashion for you. Which one of your Borg implants is having trouble comprehending them?

Information you need to provide to enter:

* Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome.

How a winner will be chosen

* A total can be chosen up to 4 times and whoever is the closest wins.

* If there is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winner correctly.

* If there still is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winning team's score more closely.

I think you are confusing the information contestants needed to provide to enter the competition with how the contest winner will actually be determined. And once again......you are wrong. Resistance is futile you damn robot. mad.gif

Who gives a frig? The prize probably sucks!

Knowing Ricky.....you're probably right. crazy.gif

I just get tired of people pulling every excuse out of their butt when it comes to these contests.

You see.....in your contest rules.....you used an exclamation point instead of a period and you did it on the third tuesday of a month ending in "y"........therefore.......ipso defacto........I pulled a boolean out of my (a small pygmy from the island of boole).......and the winner is not as previously stated.

I did.....and here it is:

Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome.

He says nowhere in that sentence that you must do both correctly to WIN the contest......he is simply stating what you need to provide. You are truly an insufficiently_thoughtful_person if you can't see that.

Bugaboo,

Absolutely untrue. Take another look at the VERY FIRST PARAGRAPH:

"Rules:

Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome. One guess per person and this is good until thursday 12PM Pacific Time. The winner will win a small prize." (incidentally, changing the word "Rules" to "Information you need to provide to enter:" as you have done above, changes the entire focus of the contest).

I understand what you are saying, but you are not understanding me. Both parts of the very first sentence have to be satisfied. "AND" means "BOTH" -- not one or the other.

An example -- suppose no tie-breaker (given your interpretation of the rules) was necessary and we were only looking at the point totals (Guess the total score of Sunday's game). That would necessarily void the second part of the sentence (predict the outcome) since this action or prediction would not be needed to win -- a clear contradiction of the word "AND" in the first sentence.

That's all I have to say about this. I think I've made myself clear. I don't require you to agree with me.

I really can't believe I'm having to explain this like I'm talking to a 3rd grader......but it looks like it's going to be necessary.

Absolutely untrue. Take another look at the VERY FIRST PARAGRAPH:

WRONG.....WRONG.....WRONG.....YOU insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

In the first paragraph.....Ricky is simply stating what information he needs each individual to provide. You person_too_unaware_of_social_graces......you're trying to act like this is the national lottery and the rules should have been looked over by a lawyer beforehand.

The first RULE was to provide BOTH a total and a winner. If you didn't provide both.....then you couldn't be in the contest. This does not automatically mean that those combined is what determines the winner of the contest.

Both parts of the very first sentence have to be satisfied. "AND" means "BOTH" -- not one or the other.

BULLSH*T..........you're trying to insert a rule that is NOWHERE in his post. He said to provide both pieces of information......he didn't say anywhere in the post that both will be taken into account to determine the winner..........UNLESS......there is a tie.

That would necessarily void the second part of the sentence (predict the outcome) since this action or prediction would not be needed to win -- a clear contradiction of the word "AND" in the first sentence.

There is no contradiction of the word "AND" you insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He needed everyone to provide a point total....AND....a winner to enter.......not to win.......unless there is a tie. He said it clearly.....you're just too stupid to understand it or admit it.