• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Bowl: Guess the total score and win!

224 posts in this topic

48-21 BUCS!!!!

Mr Highgrade is our winner. Please PM me with your address for your prize

rickdogg,

You are mistaken. According to the rules you wrote, the following was stipulated:

"Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome. One guess per person and this is good until thursday 12PM Pacific Time. The winner will win a small prize."

Please note that you did not write, "Guess the total score of Sunday's game OR predict the outcome," or "Guess the total score of Sunday's game THEN predict the outcome."

By virtue of the fact that you chose a specific boolean operator, BOTH possiblities had to be satisfied in order to meet the contest requirements for winning. Also, on a rational level, it would not make sense for the winner to have predicted the wrong outcome to the game.

Even given your statements concerning tie-breakers, this logic is still consistent.

"If there is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winner correctly. If there still is a tie, then we'll see who predicted the winning team's score more closely."

That is, for any two individuals with the same score, the one who predicted the winning team, is by default, the winner. Or, by your second condition, if both individuals picked the winning team correctly, the one who picked the winning team's point total is the winner.

I realize that you may have intended for the contest to have a different outcome, but based on the language you used, the winner could only be one person:

55-araich (31-24 Bucs)

Sorry Ricky......this is why I would never hold a contest......you're gonna have somebody b**ch about your decision no matter what.

And now.....since we're gonna pull out the slide rules, put on our nerd glasses, and tuck in our pocket protectors......I'll put my two nerd cents in as well.

Ricky made the following statement as information needed to PARTICIPATE: Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome.

He did NOT say: Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome to be the WINNER.

He was simply saying that you must give a total score AND predict the outcome so that a winner would be able to be declared in case there is a tie. You can pull all the boolean operators out of your that you want.....but I think it makes sense the way Ricky stated it. He did not say in that statement that both must be satisfied to WIN.

Sheesh.....you people and the whining over these damn contests kill me. mad.gif

By virtue of the fact that you chose a specific boolean operator, BOTH possiblities had to be satisfied in order to meet the contest requirements for winning.

You're thinking like a computer program. And computer program's can't think. Add a bit of the human element and celebrate your personhood...that is, unless you are a post-adolescent P1 - in which case we should all be concerned and frightened (note the boolean expression).

PS - I believe the word "and" came before the George Boole. And we must not all adhere to George's postulates OR we would be in trouble.

Bugaboo --

Since Ricky wrote "Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome," he requested that participants do two things.

(1) Derive a point total

(2) Pick a winner

It would not make logical sense for his second statement (predict the outcome) to simply be repetitive. Your statement, "...predict the outcome to be the WINNER" is clearly redundant.

<< He was simply saying that you must give a total score AND predict the outcome so that a winner would be able to be declared in case there is a tie. >>

No, this is not what he wrote. His very first paragraph outlined the contest qualifications. BOTH conditions in his first sentence had to be satisfied.

<< He did not say in that statement that both must be satisfied to WIN. >>

Yes he did. Re-read his very first contest qualification -- the one that supersedes all that follow.

Since Ricky wrote "Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome," he requested that participants do two things.

Did you come in second place or something? I mean, I haven't heard sour graping like this since CI was whining about never winning the trivia contest. And he sounded pretty damned pathetic, in case you were wondering. (Yes, that was a hint.)

Yes, speculation abounds around these parts! What the hell do I really know about you man? Are you really a Bug? Quick, do a leg count! tongue.gif

You're thinking like a computer program. And computer program's can't think.

Povertyrow,

First, this statement makes no sense. You contradict yourself. If computer programs can't think, you should have written the following instead:

"You're TRYING to think as a computer program might try to think. And we both know that thinking just can't happen under these circumstances."

Second, I am not, in fact, trying to think like a computer program. Instead, I am applying simple logic to the contest statement. Most conventional contests use these methods for determining a winning. If you wish for the outcome of the contest to be determined by a "gut feeling" or your "emotional response" then that is certainly your prerogative.

<< And we must not all adhere to George's postulates OR we would be in trouble. >>

This statement does not work well using a boolean expression. I would recommend an "if, then" statement instead. For example:

"If we all adhere to George's postulates, then we will be in trouble."

MW1......you're wrong and it's exactly these whining attitudes that probably keep more people from holding contests in here. It's as certain as the damn sun setting in the West.......it's almost guaranteed that someone's going to complain.

(1) Derive a point total

(2) Pick a winner

It would not make logical sense for his second statement (predict the outcome) to simply be repetitive. Your statement, "...predict the outcome to be the WINNER" is clearly redundant.

I know you think you're right.....but you're not. Ricky needed to have BOTH of those things and CLEARLY outlined the reasons for it in the body of his original post. If you can't see that and just want to b**ch about it.....then by all means.....continue to do so.....but you're still wrong.

His first sentence simply stated: Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome.

He needed everyone to provide a point total and a winner. The point total was the main thing needed to win. The "winner" was simply needed as a tie breaker. But BOTH OF THOSE THINGS WERE NEEDED TO HAVE THE STUPID CONTEST. Quit being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person on this MW1......it's not that complicated.

No, this is not what he wrote. His very first paragraph outlined the contest qualifications. BOTH conditions in his first sentence had to be satisfied.

He said no such thing . Newsflash for you Einstein......that first sentence just just telling you what to provide......not declaring that you need to satisfy both to win. The rest of his post clearly explains that.

Yes he did. Re-read his very first contest qualification -- the one that supersedes all that follow.

I did.....and here it is:

Guess the total score of Sunday's game and predict the outcome.

He says nowhere in that sentence that you must do both correctly to WIN the contest......he is simply stating what you need to provide. You are truly an insufficiently_thoughtful_person if you can't see that.

Povertyrow,

First, this statement makes no sense. You contradict yourself. If computer programs can't think, you should have written the following instead:

"You're TRYING to think as a computer program might try to think. And we both know that thinking just can't happen under these circumstances

No he shouldn't have........because he's not a complete tool and nerd like you are.

I've finally met the biggest on the board......and suprisingly it's MW1 and not Khaos.