• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow - Marvel Preview #7 goes through the roof...

163 posts in this topic

Those who think this book is a flash in the pan are sorely mistaken.

With a cartoon series and a sequel announced from SDCC, this book will continue to climb. Marvel is trying to secure the next big comic franchise.

A raccoon with a gun, almost as crazy as turtles with swords and nunchuks...

This raccoon with a gun sat unnoticed for nearly 40 years.

Marvel Preview #7 and Hulk #271 were nothing more then a few bucks all those years.

The movie hype and speculation are the sole reasons these books soared.

Just like every other character that is announced in a tv show or movie.

In my opinion those are the characteristics of a flash in the pan but it's ok not to agree.

Assuming time stands still and memories and attachment can not happen anymore... I think you would be right.

Because the assumption would be that the books that are already expensive and important are so because they were popular once as comics, and therefore people now want them because they enjoy them, and fondly remember the characters etc.

This is fine... but, the new GOTG movie and all that comes with it will create NEW memories and attachment!! many people now (kids and adults) will love the GOTG now and create fond memories and attachment to them that they never had before. So there is really every reason to think that the GOTG memories and attachment created now is just as real and nostalgia enducing as it was for other characters etc. years ago.

I am pretty certain GOTG comics (such as MP4 and 7 and MSH18) are here to stay.

In my opinion, it's not reflective of the long term marketplace within the hobby. Those books will have a tough time realizing those prices as the GoftheG movie comes and goes.

Would you say the same about ST110, TOS39, Avengers 1/4, JIM83, X-Men 4 as well?

No, those books were blue chip, well established early Marvel silver age and already brought strong prices and were very high in the guide. They climbed in price but not exponentially by the power of 100 lol

In my opinion, it's not reflective of the long term marketplace within the hobby. Those books will have a tough time realizing those prices as the GoftheG movie comes and goes.

Would you say the same about ST110, TOS39, Avengers 1/4, JIM83, X-Men 4 as well?

No, those books were blue chip, well established early Marvel silver age and already brought strong prices and were very high in the guide. They climbed in price but not exponentially by the power of 100 lol

You think ST110 was a blue chip? I think most would've disagreed. It was also dirt cheap in all grades up until mid-2013. The prices are purely driven by movie hype/speculation.

My question, though, was whether you believe these prices for these "blue chip" keys are sustainable. What happens when, as you say, the Iron Man movie, Thor movie, Dr Strange movie, etc come and go?

I won't pretend to know for certain, but from everything I gather, Marvel sees GOTG, Starlord, and Rocket Raccoon--maybe Groot also--as cash cows. And Disney/Marvel want us and the kiddies--especially the kiddies--to fall in love with these characters. It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about what a blue chip key is or was anymore. What matters is what plans Marvel/Disney has for a character and how aggressively they market and make sure we know and love these characters. I don't know about you but GOTG seems to be everywhere. TV (commercials/film/new animated GOTG series coming also), toys (Lego/hasbro), and other merchandising.

You think ST110 was a blue chip? I think most would've disagreed. It was also dirt cheap in all grades up until mid-2013. The prices are purely driven by movie hype/speculation.

My question, though, was whether you believe these prices for these "blue chip" keys are sustainable. What happens when, as you say, the Iron Man movie, Thor movie, Dr Strange movie, etc come and go?

Iron-man was an b or c character before the Iron-man movies.

And there is nothing wrong with that....comics are to a large extent driven by people's attachment to characters. And people know that movies is a very strong media to create this attachment. Comics is another. Some of this nostalgia is driven by comics themselves... perhaps someone read issues 200-300 in his childhood... and now wants to own the number 1 issue in the title. OR someone saw and loved the movies when he was a kid.... and now wants to own the umber 1 issue in the title.

It is all fine. And movie 'hype' if just another word for "I know that many many many many people will get attached to this character through this movie... because often movies can do something with our imagination and attachment that it would take reading comics for a long time to do."

I Read this thread... Again Disney is a machine, the raccoon is here to stay... The book is priced at what the market will allow. As stated in several locations the mp 7 is a hard to find in high grade. I think the price right now is high but not as high as this book will go.. A lot of books where worth nothing and then all of a sudden valuable. mess Disney made a talking duck famous.. They already announced the 2 cond movie in 2017 and MHO is Rocket is going to be a household name by then. I also think he will have his own coaster in one of the parks... as for the flippers and speculators ...... Everyone has a right to make a buck if the market allows it.I Think in a couple of years some will be kicking themselves for selling MP 7

The market has more than priced in the "potential popularity" of this character. Further, the lack of legitimate buying opportunities that reflect the actual current FMV of the book, and the blatant attempts at market manipulation (on ebay) will, sooner or later, deflate the speculative bubble.

-J.

The market has more than priced in the "potential popularity" of this character. Further, the lack of legitimate buying opportunities that reflect the actual current FMV of the book, and the blatant attempts at market manipulation (on ebay) will, sooner or later, deflate the speculative bubble.

-J.

Say wha? Plain English, please. :baiting:

-J.

I understand your point and the frustration of watching the Ebay B.S.... But the bottom line is, the increase will show on GPA and those prices will stick. I don't think Mp #7 will drop by more than 25 percent. Unless......... A lot more High grade copies surface. An influx of 9.0 and above copies will take these high prices down speculation or not !

Prices will increase upwards past the premiere. Some time after the movie there might be a dip, but a new starting point will be higher before another increase for the sequel.

IF - the movie is anywhere near as good as reviews etc suggest.

I Read this thread... Again Disney is a machine,

I guess Walt shouldn’t be much happy then.

Seriously, most of what I read shows how much average people are disinformed about Disney’s history, and what Walt’s vision was (and is) all about.

The fact that Disney is doing mediocre or arbitrary things to sell should not impress.

Do you realize you are comparing Rocket Raccoon with characters which are almost the basements of comics and modern animation history, and whose "popularity" (using the term loosely here as I see how much is abued) has built through the lives of generations, and contributed to a sense of community and belonging?

This hacked version of an little used, old Marvel character reduced to a parody of a vigilante? Not really. :sick:

I Read this thread... Again Disney is a machine,

I guess Walt shouldn’t be much happy then.

Seriously, most of what I read shows how much average people are disinformed about Disney’s history, and what Walt’s vision was (and is) all about.

The fact that Disney is doing mediocre or arbitrary things to sell should not impress.

Do you realize you are comparing Rocket Raccoon with characters which are almost the basements of comics and modern animation history, and whose "popularity" (using the term loosely here as I see how much is abued) has built through the lives of generations, and contributed to a sense of community and belonging?

This hacked version of an little used, old Marvel character reduced to a parody of a vigilante? Not really. :sick:

Who's comparing? Disney and the raccoon are a natural fit and Disney in- beds characters in kids from a young age. So maybe the raccoon will be around for generations to come and some guy looking for controversy will write about how the raccoon was on the first floor above the duck and the mouse. Whatever old walts vision was Disney is a powerful company with marketing genius that continues to this day. And really man you don't think that they are always looking and developing new characters to connect with newer generations ?

Yeah Most GOTG books will come back down a little but this one and Hulk 271 will continue to go up and stay there.The reaction to Rocket has been incredible. My wife even loved the character and wants some rocket stuff along with my son. i went to Kevin Smiths store in NJ last week and they had all the characters and Pop and Wacky bobble head guys stuff from the movie but all the Rocket stuff was gone. Hes up there in popularity with Wolverine now. Who would have thought this a year ago.

Have been sitting here waiting (im)patiently for my mid-grade MP4 and MP7 to come back from CGC. Sent them for pressing first, I'm hoping for 7.5 and 6.5. My first ever submission, so no way to track them (don't have a membership), but they charged my CC on July 8th.