• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow - Marvel Preview #7 goes through the roof...

163 posts in this topic

MP7 not rare per se. It is rare in grade, however. Bounty Coder and a few other boardies have explained why this is: low distribution, not widely collected, and not well preserved. You'll likely see a few more higher grade copies added to the census in coming months but I think we are looking at a Bronze book that possesses Silver Age rarity in grade.

MP7 not rare per se. It is rare in grade, however. Bounty Coder and a few other boardies have explained why this is: low distribution, not widely collected, and not well preserved. You'll likely see a few more higher grade copies added to the census in coming months but I think we are looking at a Bronze book that possesses Silver Age rarity in grade.

Well said .

This character has no "staying power", but don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to have paid $3.65 for my copy and have it graded to sell it two months later for $2,000 USD.

After the movie is out, no one will care about a character that has no significance

to the Marvel Universe. It's another finally crafted media blitz.

A raccoon with a gun, seriously !?!?

Hey, a Black Belt Hamsters movie is coming out in 2016. Stock up :whee:

This character has no "staying power", but don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to have paid $3.65 for my copy and have it graded to sell it two months later for $2,000 USD.

After the movie is out, no one will care about a character that has no significance

I no longer have skin in this game as I've sold off my MP's but I think that statement is a bit absurd. Marvel is keeping the line going and the series is doing well in comic format. All it takes is emotion attaching to a character which the movie will bring, and the continuation of that through printed/digital media. Live in the now man. This is the new reality. An influx of people never seen before is moving into our hobby. Many of them are tech savvy individuals who get paid well for their skills and are looking to obtain many of these books. Either way it will be interesting to see. None of us have crystal balls. I'm not sure why people have such concrete opinions either way. (shrug)

You're basing this on what exactly? Sounds like you're just rationalizing your decision to sell your 9.8 so early on. Don't worry. You weren't the only one. Two other ppl did it too. lol

New 9.6 on Ebay has already hit 2K.

Linky?

-J.

linky

Thanks!

hm

That high bidder looks a little shill-tastic to me....

-J.

Probably not.

30-Day Summary

Total bids: 6

Items bid on: 4

Bid activity (%) with this seller: 16%

Bid retractions: 0

Bid retractions (6 months): 0

This auction also had a reserve on it, if that is of any consequence.

You're basing this on what exactly? Sounds like you're just rationalizing your decision to sell your 9.8 so early on. Don't worry. You weren't the only one. Two other ppl did it too. lol

It's called take the money and run!

I wouldn't try and rationalize a 25,000% annualized return any other way.

Great day at the office. (thumbs u

Off the topic of RR, do you guys see Star-Lord books, particularly MP4 going down after the release of GOTG. Just got a high grader for a decent price, and was wondering if the book has any more upside, or if it has peaked. I've heard grumblings that of the GOTG characters, Star-Lord will have the biggest presence in future marvel films, but that could all be bs.

I dont think you understand how pop culture works. Nobody thought Star Wars would be what it is today. This is this generations Star Wars.

Off the topic of RR, do you guys see Star-Lord books, particularly MP4 going down after the release of GOTG. Just got a high grader for a decent price, and was wondering if the book has any more upside, or if it has peaked. I've heard grumblings that of the GOTG characters, Star-Lord will have the biggest presence in future marvel films, but that could all be bs.

Star Lord is here to stay for a while

I don't think it has peaked yet, but that's just me.

If he is in Avengers 2 (which the GotG may not show up until Avengers 3), it will keep climbing.

Not at the crazy rate from the past 6 months, but still some growth there, I think.

Plus he has his own series that just launched. That always helps. Makes him appearing in at least 2 books every month.

Honestly speaking I do not see either of these books being "worth" more than about $400, even in high grade. After extensively studying the eBay data for both books, they are routinely and consistently going for 3-400 in the highest grades. You have one or two crazy high sales, with no feedback left for the seller afterwards. And the over priced buy it now listings are just sitting there with few or no watchers. I am also observing what can only be an attempted pump and dump in a couple of current auctions on both books. Considering both of these books were only recently pulled from total obscurity, that they are going for even 300 or so is awesome. But these are not classic, beloved characters, that's not why these books have increased. This is pure speculation plain and simple. If you bought the book because you're really into the character it doesn't matter what the "value" becomes. But if you bought to flip, you may be a little late to the party.

-J.

I dont think you understand how pop culture works. Nobody thought Star Wars would be what it is today. This is this generations Star Wars.

This is not even in the same arena as 70's Star Wars.

I lived the that generation and it was everything.

Guardians of the Galaxy is not even close to the level of Star Wars.

But after I sold a 9.8 copy of Marvel Preview #11 for $1,000. Marvel Preview #7 for $2,000 and Marvel Preview #4 for $1,000 after paying a total of $110.00 for all 3 I will say I love GoftheG. Not to mention the 10 CGC 9.8 copies of Hulk #271 sold for $500 plus. Thank you Guardians of the Galaxy for moving my 10 year shelf inventory.

Honestly speaking I do not see either of these books being "worth" more than about $400, even in high grade. After extensively studying the eBay data for both books, they are routinely and consistently going for 3-400 in the highest grades. You have one or two crazy high sales, with no feedback left for the seller afterwards. And the over priced buy it now listings are just sitting there with few or no watchers. I am also observing what can only be an attempted pump and dump in a couple of current auctions on both books. Considering both of these books were only recently pulled from total obscurity, that they are going for even 300 or so is awesome. But these are not classic, beloved characters, that's not why these books have increased. This is pure speculation plain and simple. If you bought the book because you're really into the character it doesn't matter what the "value" becomes. But if you bought to flip, you may be a little late to the party.

-J.

Curious is this raw or slabbed copies? Do you have the numbers to back this up?

I realize prices are higher then they should be, but your numbers aren't matching with the numbers I am seeing on ebay. The overpriced copies that are just sitting there are low grade and the same thing can be said with the major keys in your sig line when sellers try to sell books in good condition at vf prices.

I spent about a decade as a magazine collector from 1990 to 2000.

I can't speak to absolute rarity but I know relative to the other issues of Marvel Preview I was purchasing, Issue 7 was by far the rarest of the lot. No idea why. I hunted that Satana cover for quite a while before I found my jewel copy.

-J.

Curious is this raw or slabbed copies? Do you have the numbers to back this up?

I realize prices are higher then they should be, but your numbers aren't matching with the numbers I am seeing on ebay. The overpriced copies that are just sitting there are low grade and the same thing can be said with the major keys in your sig line when sellers try to sell books in good condition at vf prices.

Certainly. I don't like citing only anecdotal data, but the following are a representative sample of the larger pattern observed, both slabbed and raw:

Marvel Preview 7:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Comics-CGC-7-5-Marvel-Preview-7-1st-Appearance-of-Rocket-Raccoon-/121379925894?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c42ceaf86

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-1976-Marvel-1st-Rocket-Raccoon-7-0-FN-VF-7-5-VF-Guardians-/201125895043?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ed4099b83

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-VF-1st-Rocket-Racoon-Summer-1976-Marvel-/261523854125?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ce409532d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-CGC-8-0-WP-1st-App-Rocket-Raccoon-Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-NR-/161350134196?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item259137a9b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-High-Grade-Solid-9-4-1st-Rocket-Raccoon-/291144874396?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item43c996399c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-7-1st-Rocky-Rocket-Raccoon-VF-8-0-GOTG-W-OW-Guardians-Galaxy-/261474931421?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ce11ed2dd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-PREVIEW-7-76-1st-Rocket-Raccoon-CGC-9-0-VFNM-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-/400699575404?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item5d4b8e4c6c

Marvel Preview 4:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-PREVIEW-4-CGC-9-0-OFF-WHITE-1ST-STAR-LORD-GUARDIANS-OF-THE-GALAXY-/331263549623?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d20d8a0b7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-PREVIEW-4-VF-8-5-FIRST-APPEARANCE-STAR-LORD-WRIGHTSON-INSIDE-COVER-/360993292775?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item540ce081e7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-4-VF-8-0-1st-origin-Starlord-of-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-movie-/231283855814?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35d99791c6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-PREVIEW-4-76-This-is-it-High-Grade-CGC-8-5-1st-Star-Lord-GO-FOR-IT-/400740807834?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item5d4e03749a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-4-1st-Starlord-CGC-9-0-White-Pages-Guardians-of-Galaxy-000788502-/331261298409?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d20b646e9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-PREVIEW-4-CGC-9-4-STAR-LORD-GOTG-WHITE-PAGES-1976-/201118188995?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ed39405c3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Preview-4-CGC-8-5-VF-White-Pages-Marvel-1976-1st-appearance-of-Star-Lord-/351086284697?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item51be5f8f99

What's interesting is that each book has one ultra high outlier sales price, that has not come close to being repeated. And two of the three sales (between both) books that closed over $700, are fishy ebay transactions that had no feedback left for the seller.

That, taken together with the three bogus, shilled auctions going on right now leave no doubt in my mind that these books are pump and dumps, with a real an actual FMV in high grades of around $400, MAYBE $500 on a good day, but once the movie speculation fades, they look to be $300-$400 books to me. Still amazing, all things considered, but no, these are not legitimately four figure books, and nor should they be. we are not exactly talking about classic characters with decades of a large and loyal fan following here.

-J.

-J.

I know for a fact that the 9.6 MP7 sale for 3150 is legit bc I know who bought it. Just bc a buyer doesn't leave feedback means nothing.

And everyone has their opinions about what a book *should* be worth. I heard the same silliness coming from longtime collectors who were saying ST110 was a mediocre book not worth more than a couple of hundred dollars in mid grade. What's the book worth now? Those who are slow to embrace the rapid change in pricing that we are all witnessing in this new market can bemoan what they perceive as the overvaluation of a book when the reality might just be that the market is responding accordingly to the newfound popularity of a character. Besides, what's your basis for saying mp7 *should* only be worth X? Historical value? Well, if that's your basis, then it is frankly pretty useless.

Another reason, I think, for the run up is a lot of folks were genuinely unsure about 1) how GOTG would be received by fans and critics and 2) how characters like Star-Lord and RR would be accepted and used in the movie. With all the early reviews, some of which include serious trade publications like Variety, being overwhelmingly positive, collectors/investors feel books like MP4 and 7 are much safer bets bc a multi-picture franchise with possible crossovers into other movies is almost certain if GOTG performs as admirably in theaters as many predict it will.

A lot of old school collectors will disagree with me on this but I think MP4 has a high ceiling right now. MP7 in higher grades has an infinitely higher ceiling.