• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what do dealers do at conventions to quickly spot resto?

22 posts in this topic

I'm going to Portland Wizard con and was maybe going to buy some high end raw books.

I know Harley Yee was thinking of buying this book from me, and he kept rubbing the back of his hand up and down it! But this must be a big issue for dealers. I know black lights dont show color touch very well (I got one), you can feel it though

wings93fr.jpgwings93.jpg

Eyes. The naked, trained eye is what is best for spotting resto. That's how CGC does most of it, that's how dealers do it.

If there is a cause for investigation then you might get a loupe or an ultraviolet light to help you.

Eyes. The naked, trained eye is what is best for spotting resto. That's how CGC does most of it, that's how dealers do it.

If there is a cause for investigation then you might get a loupe or an ultraviolet light to help you.

+1 the dealers i have bought from usually spot it with their eyes. they are pretty good at that.

and he kept rubbing the back of his hand up and down it! But this must be a big issue for dealers.

I imaging Harley was rubbing up the spine to see if he could feel any glue.

A covers spine with a glued staple area, or tear with feel very crunky, and stiff compared to the rest of the spine.

As far as detecting other resto in person? Depends on the era of book.

Typically most SA comics will just have slight, amateur CT. With it mostly being black, so either look for bleed through, or a difference in gloss.

Anything more should stand out like a sore thumb on a SA book if you look closely at an off angle under decent light.

GA books typically have more going on.

Glued/CT'ed staple areas. Supported, or taped centerfolds/spines.

Among other things.

Typically if you suspect a book has resto on it, look more closely..because there is usually more.

I have an Iron Man 3 that I was going to sell in the last VCC but when I removed it from the bag to grade it I noticed a spot that seemed to exhibit a difference in gloss and did not look exactly like the coloring around it. No bleed through, but I chose not to try to sell if because I couldn't be sure it wasn't CT.

Great looking book

yeah, unfortunately I sold it to kelholt for about $700... I should have kept all these GGA books, but I made the mistake of spending a bunch of money pressing and cgc-ing them, so then I had too much into them, so then I felt a need to sell them!

This book is irreplaceable with those bright fiction house colors!

and he kept rubbing the back of his hand up and down it! But this must be a big issue for dealers.

A covers spine with a glued staple area, or tear with feel very crunky, and stiff compared to the rest of the spine.

Typically most SA comics will just have slight, amateur CT. With it mostly being black, so either look for bleed through, or a difference in gloss.

Anything more should stand out like a sore thumb on a SA book if you look closely at an off angle under decent light.

Among other things.

Typically if you suspect a book has resto on it, look more closely..because there is usually more.

Awesome reply! Thats what I will do if need be. One more thing is looking for trimming signs (bright white edges of the cover that don't match the age of the book!)

Among other things.

Trade secrets.

:baiting:

Among other things.

Trade secrets.

haha, very true, maybe I would sell you my Justice League 17 for a good price if you tell me the trade secrets on how dealers get books for good prices! My knowledge so far is:

Secret 1: be the guy with the cash on hand right there, they will probably just take a good cash offer!

Secret 2: pay full price for keys, sellers arent totally stupid!

Secret 3: but pay 10%-30% for the rest, this is where you make the money!

Anything else anyone? :baiting:

Among other things.

Trade secrets.

haha, very true, maybe I would sell you my Justice League 17 for a good price if you tell me the trade secrets on how dealers get books for good prices! My knowledge so far is:

Secret 1: be the guy with the cash on hand right there, they will probably just take a good cash offer!

Secret 2: pay full price for keys, sellers arent totally stupid!

Secret 3: but pay 10%-30% for the rest, this is where you make the money!

Anything else anyone? :baiting:

Trade secrets.

Great looking book

yeah, unfortunately I sold it to kelholt for about $700... I should have kept all these GGA books, but I made the mistake of spending a bunch of money pressing and cgc-ing them, so then I had too much into them, so then I felt a need to sell them!

Just curious: Harley didn't buy it because he thought he detected resto or you just couldn't agree on a price? hm

That made me laugh so hard.

Harley rubbing his finger up and down and then i saw the cover.

:roflmao:

Is this to become a new term for resto checking ?

Fingering the cover ? lol

That sounds about right for him. I've been told that the night before a show, he invites all the boys up to his hotel room to inspect each other's big...

comics! lol

Great looking book

Just curious: Harley didn't buy it because he thought he detected resto or you just couldn't agree on a price? hm

nah he just missed out on it, he said it was a 'VF' but he really just didn't want it, he didnt even offer anything for it. He said GGA had too many repetitive covers.