• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uber from Avatar

1,083 posts in this topic

Read the preview.

Here are my thoughts.

This book has the Crossed art in style and gore. Which I could care less for. I do like the covers.

Here is what peeked my interest because the first 12 pages didnt do squat for me. Below is what caught my attention.

Read the 2 pages from the writer. The guy put his heart into this story. He did the research and sincerely seems to love what he is writing. Its apparent from his research.

Is this book a huge hit? Unsure, but this board is influencing the pricing because the sketch variant price keeps rising thanks to orders.

Being an ex history teacher this book intrigues me anyway so I am on board for a few issues.

Read the preview.

Here are my thoughts.

This book has the Crossed art in style and gore. Which I could care less for. I do like the covers.

Here is what peeked my interest because the first 12 pages didnt do squat for me. Below is what caught my attention.

Read the 2 pages from the writer. The guy put his heart into this story. He did the research and sincerely seems to love what he is writing. Its apparent from his research.

Is this book a huge hit? Unsure, but this board is influencing the pricing because the sketch variant price keeps rising thanks to orders.

Being an ex history teacher this book intrigues me anyway so I am on board for a few issues.

That was a stand-out from me as well.

"I hope you do not enjoy this book"

Shows the writer is using extreme imagery (hence the Avatar group) to REALLY highlight the horror and stupidity of war.

I just need a complete copy to read.... :cry:

Shows the writer is using extreme imagery (hence the Avatar group) to REALLY highlight the horror and stupidity of war.

Great point

I just need a complete copy to read.... :cry:

"I hope you do not enjoy this book" can still equal excellent entertainment that also carry a serious message and maybe educate along the way.

I akin this to the first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. I think it is safe to say we were both riveted and uncomfortable to what the horrors of war really mean. And that was a major point of the movie. I think Kieron Gillen will have some similar points to make when telling Uber

Alright, I'm calling it a night as I'm off to read some books!! :eek:

Soooooooo? How was it? Wait! Don't tell us..... I think I want to wait until I get a copy Wednesday..... (thumbs u

It's WW2.

I don't think Campfires and Folk songs will feature much.

However - how on Earth, after reading the preview by Gillen, can you think he is going to go anywhere near the "Crossed" route......

(shrug)

August 27th 2008, for 10 episodes - Garth Ennis was the writer.

Its still Crossed, but it has a good story.

Heck I liked it.

"Family values" should have ensured the writer was imprisoned for life.

"Wish You Were Here" is gross, but again,at least has a story, again, I thought it was quite a decent story so far (still on-going) - its here mate if you want to read it.

http://www.crossedcomic.com/category/the-webcomic/

TOTALLY NOT SUITABLE FOR KIDS.

I have to respectfully disagree with this (and as an aside I am going big on Uber as well, but I love Avatar and the freedom they allow so I purchase most of their stuff).

Crossed Vol 1, #0-9, written by Garth Ennis is a masterpiece, plain and simple. There is nothing else on the shelves quite like it. Would I recommend it to my wife or friends, no, but when people come in and are bored to tears with Walking Dead (believe you me folks there are A LOT of normal people who are stalled with the show and the comic), and they ask me if there anything like it but worse, of course Crossed vol 1 is my answer. I had one person come back in a few weeks later and say, and I quote, "do you have anything that's a little less rapey?" Other than her, every single person who read the first one kept going with it even though I caution them that Vol 3 (Psychopath), is beyond shock and very hard for me to read (the only Crossed volume I refuse to read again).

Crossed Vol 2 is actually quite good as well, although it deals with incest and I can appreciate people are turned off by the notion of that and don't want to deal with it. I felt a lot of empathy for the main characters in this one and SPOILER ALERT, there is actually a fairly happy ending to this one. Garth Ennis does not write this or have anything to do with it.

Once again, Psychopath is bad, really I cannot recommend it. Although again, SPOILER ALERT, 2 people from this volume have been reused in Badlands, the current Crossed series, which I really like. I am hopeful at some point to see some re-lap from the first 2 series of volumes. Again, Garth Ennis had nothing to do with this series.

When Badlands was launched, Garth Ennis came back to write the first 3 issues. They are fabulous and a highly recommended read. Make your own choice after issue 3 as the writers and artists are constantly changing. Some of the story lines are terrific, some are awful, but I will continue to read. Even with Spidey and Batman, sometimes you get a stinker of a storyline, just happens in comics, they can't all be good.

The new webcomic Wish You Were Here has been very good and I've enjoyed it very much.

Crossed Badlands 25, our good friend Garth Ennis returned. That issue came out 2 weeks ago (26 shipped 4 days ago, Crossed is by-weekly). I don't know where the story is going but again, whenever Garth is involved he pours his heart and soul into coming up with something unique, something he thinks you haven't seen before. Will it anger you? Yes. Might it make you cry? Well I have 3 kids so the last issues origin story certainly made me cry, very tough to read. But he pushes the boundaries. Something a guy like Frank Millar used to do 35 years ago or Neal Adams would do 45 years ago. But Avatar gives these guys the O.K to do whatever they want. You never know what you're going to see with an issue of Crossed, which makes is a must read for me every 2 weeks.

And if after reading this you're wondering if I'm nuts, well I'm married with 3 kids, I also read Saga, Batman, Punisher, Manhattan Projects (my favorite current book), and Happy might have been my favorite mini series of the past year.

Anyways, there are a lot of you crapping on Crossed, and I'll agree it isn't for everyone, but the stories are there if you can get past some of the things you have to see on the pages.

Jay

Hows this on page 2?

Anyone else got theirs yet?

Read the preview.

Here are my thoughts.

I definently agree with you.. the lurker must of taken the stock of all the books sold online..