• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Y: The Last Man [SPOILERS]

504 posts in this topic

I've been buying from Jose and Paolo for about a year now. I also stalk any Y OA owners. :devil:

JB (prime):

Serious question.... I know you are a huge fan of the series and I bought my #1 from you (thank you again). But my question is, what does the series mean to you?

Just a fan of the story or does it make a connection to you in some way?

I'm a fan too and I'll offer my answer as well :)

That's quite the question. I don't know if I have a short answer, long answers don't help the post count. lol It is actually more than the story.

Chew and Y allow me to fill the collecting bug in general. I have enjoyed my interactions with 6 of the creators so far. I have often commented that both series are or will be a complete story. Y was the 1st series I had a complete collection of despite decades of trying to own a complete Xmen run.

When I 1st read Walking Dead it was 1-48. I thought it was a great story but reading issues after 48 took away something from the 1st 48 for me. This has never happened and hopefully will never happen with Y. Leave the story alone as it works great as it is.

As for the story well, I will forget more an I will write. It is a great story on many different levels for me. I don't even know where to begin. I remember specifically when the book came out. I passed thinking it was some male fantasy. Never judge a book by its cover.

The 355/Yorick dynamic is the opposite of the traditional roles. 355 being the protector while Yorick is the protected. This is interesting to me for a few reasons since traditionally it is written with the male protector, the story is written by a man and given the all-female world Yorick is a symbol of how many women feel in a male oriented society.

Guess I didn't get to the story yet but more later. lol

I've been buying from Jose and Paolo for about a year now. I also stalk any Y OA owners. :devil:

JB (prime):

Serious question.... I know you are a huge fan of the series and I bought my #1 from you (thank you again). But my question is, what does the series mean to you?

That's quite the question. I don't know if I have a short answer, long answers don't help the post count. lol It is actually more than the story.

Chew and Y allow me to fill the collecting bug in general. I have enjoyed my interactions with 6 of the creators so far. I have often commented that both series are or will be a complete story. Y was the 1st series I had a complete collection of despite decades of trying to own a complete Xmen run.

When I 1st read Walking Dead it was 1-48. I thought it was a great story but reading issues after 48 took away something from the 1st 48 for me. This has never happened and hopefully will never happen with Y. Leave the story alone as it works great as it is.

As for the story well, I will forget more an I will write. It is a great story on many different levels for me. I don't even know where to begin. I remember specifically when the book came out. I passed thinking it was some male fantasy. Never judge a book by its cover.

The 355/Yorick dynamic is the opposite of the traditional roles. 355 being the protector while Yorick is the protected. This is interesting to me for a few reasons since traditionally it is written with the male protector, the story is written by a man and given the all-female world Yorick is a symbol of how many women feel in a male oriented society.

Sure, there's more to be said here. My short answer would be:

(1) The all female, role-reversal society was sociologically interesting

(2) The theme of searching for love is universally recognizable

(3) The evils of politics show through regardless of who's in charge

(4) The story shows that people can change (regardless of what you have heard)

(5) Ultimately, it is Shakespearian in that (a) Yorick is a tragic hero, (b) love is lost and found in different places, and © life doesn't always work out as you would have it be.

My short answer :)

JB (prime):

Sure, there's more to be said here. My short answer would be:

(1) The all female, role-reversal society was sociologically interesting

(2) The theme of searching for love is universally recognizable

(3) The evils of politics show through regardless of who's in charge

(4) The story shows that people can change (regardless of what you have heard)

(5) Ultimately, it is Shakespearian in that (a) Yorick is a tragic hero, (b) love is lost and found in different places, and © life doesn't always work out as you would have it be.

My short answer :)

To both of you

Cry_and_clap.gif

It's Sonia for me. Totally took me by surprise. Every character on Y had depth, and I thought considering how short of a time we was involved, her character had it the most. She also was the beginning of the sad theme that follows Yorick throughout the book : anything he loves has a tendency to die.

Hero for me. I hope to own a Hero cover one day.
Hero is good, but she bugged me for some reason. I guess her being brainwashed by the Amazon's was a flaw in her character that I couldn't get past.

I think that was part of her character before the Amazons. I like her growth. Relating to others through sex and being outcast by the female population to being forced into it. She is completely lost on how to relate. Awesome. :)

Any love for Dr. Mann?

I like her, and looking back she was 'searching' too. She found herself in the end, but by that point it was too late for me because her attitude was a turnoff throughout the book (always complaining and such).

I do love the core characters (all of them) though.