• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Y: The Last Man [SPOILERS]

504 posts in this topic

As per your last post Greg I hope to trade for that or maybe a splash. ;)

Pretty sure if #26 ever goes up for sale, that could lead to a feeding frenzy among 3-4 people. Fortunately, no one has been made any promises on first right of refusal. It could be a lot of fun to watch.

My take on why Y is successful:

Each male I know has had the fantasy of being the last man on Earth at one point in their life.

BKV took the fantasy and applied realism & logic to it.

It causes you to rethink the fantasy that you originally wanted.

Along the way you self-identify with Yorick and thus 'feel' his pain & sorrow.

My take on why Y is successful:

Each male I know has had the fantasy of being the last man on Earth at one point in their life.

BKV took the fantasy and applied realism & logic to it.

It causes you to rethink the fantasy that you originally wanted.

Along the way you self-identify with Yorick and thus 'feel' his pain & sorrow.

I think the pain and sorrow is shared on a much wider base than just the response to Yorick. It really feels like a punch in the gut as to how disengaged life in general becomes in that world. Ultimately which hands did the fate of the planet fall into?

You realize that cover of Ampersand in the Victorian garb holding the skull is from Shakespeare's Hamlet, right? (I hope this isn't obvious to everyone... :shy: )

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy"

More info HERE

Meaning

A meditation on the fragility of life.

Hamlet says this in a graveyard as he looks at the skull of Yorick, a court jester he had known as a child, and grieves for him. In this complex speech, which is one of the best known in all dramatic works, Hamlet goes on to consider the fate of us all when he compares the skull to those still living: "let her paint [her face] an inch thick, to this favour [state] she must come”

As a child Hamlet found the jester Yorick amusing and entertaining. They used to play and frolic in an intimate but innocent way. Now that Yorick is a stinking corpse the memory of touching him seems revolting and makes Hamlet feel ill.

You realize that cover of Ampersand in the Victorian garb holding the skull is from Shakespeare's Hamlet, right? (I hope this isn't obvious to everyone... :shy: )

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy"

More info HERE

Meaning

Hamlet says this in a graveyard as he looks at the skull of Yorick, a court jester he had known as a child, and grieves for him. In this complex speech, which is one of the best known in all dramatic works, Hamlet goes on to consider the fate of us all when he compares the skull to those still living: "let her paint [her face] an inch thick, to this favour [state] she must come”

As a child Hamlet found the jester Yorick amusing and entertaining. They used to play and frolic in an intimate but innocent way. Now that Yorick is a stinking corpse the memory of touching him seems revolting and makes Hamlet feel ill.

"All the world's a stage,

And all the men and women merely players:

They have their exits and their entrances;

And one man in his time plays many parts."

One more...

"We are such stuff

As dreams are made on;

and our little life

Is rounded with a sleep."

Another meditation on the fragility of life (humans are fragile such as dreams and sleep [death] is all around us... Waiting).