• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

returned book, seller says 2 inch rip, but book between cardboard!

106 posts in this topic

An important question - asked once already - is how was the book packaged when shipped to the buyer? If the buyer was returning it the same way it was shipped to him/her, then criticisim of the return packaging is a unfair.

A tear seems unlikely from shipping between thin cardboard. Bends and folds yes.

Shipping in a sturdy box that is an inch or two larger in all directions filled with cushioning material all around so the book never touches the box is the standard for shipping nearly anything. And how I ship. But I've bought books from well known boardies that arrived in envelopes between cardboard. I've bought more books than I can count that were shipped that way from eBay sellers. 98% of the time the books arrive in good shape with no visible damage. Then there is that other 2% of the time.

I don't know the answer to the OP's original question - which is an interesting one. The buyer returned and overgraded book to the seller. The seller claims it was received not in the condition sent. It appears that Paypal normally favors the buyers, but some sellers here speak of "winning" contested returns.

Hopefully the OP will post up what the resolution is when it is settled.

I normally ship everything Priority Mail in a Box, but ebay automatically prints out a 1st class return label for returns. I was suspicious of this seller because of the overgrading and blurry photos, so I wanted to use the exact ebay label ebay wanted in case of a dispute. This was a 1st class label. And because I've had 98% of things shipped to me in an envelope between cardboard come perfect I wasnt worried about it. Plus this book was in Fine + condition anyway, there was no way to hurt the book except with a bend or fold, which I know is unlikely because 98% of stuff gets shipped like this to me just fine.

Ebay's label didnt have the option for insurance either, it was just a preprinted label from ebay covering everything. I would think ebay would include insurance if they also require a signature on ebay's own preprinted label?

Again, the main point is it is highly unlikely the book got ripped between two pieces of cardboard. I can see a bend, but not a rip. So I think this guy is just shady.

no I dont have a different user name!

An important question - asked once already - is how was the book packaged when shipped to the buyer? If the buyer was returning it the same way it was shipped to him/her, then criticisim of the return packaging is a unfair.

A tear seems unlikely from shipping between thin cardboard. Bends and folds yes.

Shipping in a sturdy box that is an inch or two larger in all directions filled with cushioning material all around so the book never touches the box is the standard for shipping nearly anything. And how I ship. But I've bought books from well known boardies that arrived in envelopes between cardboard. I've bought more books than I can count that were shipped that way from eBay sellers. 98% of the time the books arrive in good shape with no visible damage. Then there is that other 2% of the time.

I don't know the answer to the OP's original question - which is an interesting one. The buyer returned and overgraded book to the seller. The seller claims it was received not in the condition sent. It appears that Paypal normally favors the buyers, but some sellers here speak of "winning" contested returns.

Hopefully the OP will post up what the resolution is when it is settled.

I normally ship everything Priority Mail in a Box, but ebay automatically prints out a 1st class return label for returns. I was suspicious of this seller because of the overgrading and blurry photos, so I wanted to use the exact ebay label ebay wanted in case of a dispute. This was a 1st class label. And because I've had 98% of things shipped to me in an envelope between cardboard come perfect I wasnt worried about it. Plus this book was in Fine + condition anyway, there was no way to hurt the book except with a bend or fold, which I know is unlikely because 98% of stuff gets shipped like this to me just fine.

Ebay's label didnt have the option for insurance either, it was just a preprinted label from ebay covering everything. I would think ebay would include insurance if they also require a signature on ebay's own preprinted label?

Again, the main point is it is highly unlikely the book got ripped between two pieces of cardboard. I can see a bend, but not a rip. So I think this guy is just shady.

no I dont have a different user name!

You were mistaken to think that you could not put that preprinted label on a box. Just because it says 1st Class doesn't mean that you can not go over the first class weight limit. eBay is paying the return postage - whatever it is.

eBay does delivery confirmation on returns but not insurance. I'm sure they have their own insurance policy.

Something smells fishy, and the wind is coming from your direction.

When starting a thread like this, why would you not immediately state the reason for returning the book in the first place? A normal thread starter on this forum would.

You did not insure it when you returned it? The label being provided by Ebay is no excuse. Insurance is separate from the label. The post office puts a second and different lable on the package for insurance.

Why on earth would you video your packaging the book? Did you know there was going to be a rip controversy? hmmm....

If you are that paranoid, why did you not video the opening of the package when it arrived to you, from the Ebay seller?

All smell fishy. Not saying this happened, but buying a blurry ebay item, then returning the item for an unknown reason and videoing your packaging of it. Smacks of trying to exchange a second ripped copy, for the sellers unripped copy.

No accusation, Just saying how it sounds and looks. It happens. What is the sellers feedback rating? Did you take a chance, or is this his/her M.O.?

I was suspicious of this seller because of the overgrading and blurry photos, so I wanted to use the exact ebay label ebay wanted in case of a dispute.

So why did you do business with him. (shrug)

If the OP turns out to be rtheda, it should clear some things up.

FYI I am switching names from rtheda to excalib12, thanks!

I was suspicious of this seller because of the overgrading and blurry photos, so I wanted to use the exact ebay label ebay wanted in case of a dispute.

Exactly! This looks like the auction and the city and state match the package.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Justice-League-of-America-No-5-June-July1961-Origin-1st-App-Dr-Destiny-/221171061021?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item337ed2911d&nma=true&si=7FyN505Meacn2hrrbHF7GRYzWW0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I had a situation where I sold a sealed Nintendo reward. The doofus opened it and claimed it was tampered with after he opened it, then wanted to return it.

He returned a crushed box to me. He still got the refund from what I understand, but since he admitted opening it in messages to me, and the item I received was not what I sent paypal reimbursed me as well. They did say they where going to investigate potential fraud on the buyer.

Exactly! This looks like the auction and the city and state match the package.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Justice-League-of-America-No-5-June-July1961-Origin-1st-App-Dr-Destiny-/221171061021?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item337ed2911d&nma=true&si=7FyN505Meacn2hrrbHF7GRYzWW0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That's what happens to pics when you use the ebay adjust picture settings before you upload them. It happened to me a couple times before I realized to never use turbo lister "autofix" again. Sure, they look ok in the before thumbnail image, but when they get uploaded to ebay, the after image is something else entirely. I read somewhere that ebay alters our pics/scans and stores over 200 variations on their servers. If I remember correctly, someone on the ebay boards said they worked as an ebay tech and that's what happens to our pics. I don't know. Maybe someone here knows more. (shrug)

I was hoping this thread was about Mystery Boxes.

No it's about someone paying full vf/nm - guide for a book when the book looks like THIS:

JLA5_zps93dbaa20.jpg