• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb CLink Auction

342 posts in this topic

For all I know, books might only be seen by one set of eyes.

They guarantee 3.

CGCLabel.jpg

Also, last I knew Haspel was still working part-time at CGC.

I don't know how old that book is, but here's the current "guarantee" on the website:

CGC guarantees that a comic book encapsulated in a CGC holder is authentic and has been inspected by at least two professionals.

Interesting that they use the term "professionals" rather than "graders". Is the employee who receives and unpackages books a professional? Is the employee who encapsulates the books a professional? I believe they have someone doing quality control. Is that person a professional?

I hope you're right about Mark. When I spoke to "those in the know" at SDCC last summer, they told me Mark wasn't coming back.

Your information is inaccurate

They guarantee 3.

CGCLabel.jpg

I don't know how old that book is, but here's the current "guarantee" on the website:

CGC guarantees that a comic book encapsulated in a CGC holder is authentic and has been inspected by at least two professionals.

Interesting that they use the term "professionals" rather than "graders". Is the employee who receives and unpackages books a professional? Is the employee who encapsulates the books a professional? I believe they have someone doing quality control. Is that person a professional?

I hope you're right about Mark. When I spoke to "those in the know" at SDCC last summer, they told me Mark wasn't coming back.

Which part? adamstrange had more current info about Mark, but everything else came directly from CGC's website.

29.5 K

Isn't that well under guide value?

Guide says $38K.

Same copy sold for $35K in 2006.

Why such a drop in price 6-7 years later?

High grade "#1" issues are supposed to rise in value.

Though it may not have been an overwhelming success, Green Lantern has had a featured film since that time - even if it's the SA Green Lantern.

They guarantee 3.

CGCLabel.jpg

Which part? adamstrange had more current info about Mark, but everything else came directly from CGC's website.

Mark is grading

They guarantee 3.

CGCLabel.jpg

Mark is grading

That's great, but my point is that we used to be able to look at the website and know who's grading our books. We don't have that option anymore. And their 3 grader minimum seems to have slipped to "two professionals".

They guarantee 3.

CGCLabel.jpg

Mark is grading

That's great, but my point is that we used to be able to look at the website and know who's grading our books. We don't have that option anymore. And their 3 grader minimum seems to have slipped to "two professionals".

I don't have info on that part. I was responding to your comment "I hope you're right about Mark. When I spoke to "those in the know" at SDCC last summer, they told me Mark wasn't coming back."

29.5 K

Guide says $38K.

Though it may not have been an overwhelming success, Green Lantern has had a featured film since that time - even if it's the SA Green Lantern.

There are a lot of people more knowledgeable than me to speak about this, but my take is that, with a few exceptions, any DC GA outside of the Superman/Batman core is very iffy

29.5 K

Guide says $38K.

There are a lot of people more knowledgeable than me to speak about this, but my take is that, with a few exceptions, any DC GA outside of the Superman/Batman core is very iffy

So is it also true that Timely GA outside of Captain America and a handful of Marvel Mystery comics is iffy?

29.5 K

Guide says $38K.

So is it also true that Timely GA outside of Captain America and a handful of Marvel Mystery comics is iffy?

Some exceptions, I guess, but that seems like a good summary. Be interesting to hear what others think.

They guarantee 3.

CGCLabel.jpg

Mark is grading

I heard tonight that Mark hasn't graded a book at CGC in two years. When his leave was over he decided not to come back.

Maybe someone at CGC can confirm his status?

mark told me fairly recently that he would work for cgc from time to time grading...kind of "part time"... now whether or not he has actually graded any books of late, I have not asked him, but he did indicate to me that he would "help out" when needed...

Does anyone actually think Halperin would not allow another grading company's books into their auctions?

If there was another legitimate grading company out there you can bet every auction house would allow them in. Nobody out there is turning away free money.

Sometimes business doesn't quite work that way. It's not unheard of for the "big dogs" in an industry to try and muscle their business partners into not dealing with their competitors. I have no idea if this would happen here or not, but I do know that sometimes companies do turn away free money for fear of repercussions from their larger clients.

That happened in our neck of the woods in the automotive industry at the local Benz dealer I worked at. There was a mechanic looking for a job. He wasn't hired so he opened up his own shop. The local dealership then tried to freeze him out by not selling him any parts. He ended up sourcing parts from Toronto (or elsewhere) and eventually became the second largest game in town. Why? Because he was good at what he did.

Heritage would probably lose more trying to freeze out a competitor by not auctioning their books than they would just allowing them in the auctions.

Do you honestly think the PGX books would make or not make a significant impact on Heritage's revenue either way? I don't.

So if I were them and I owned a 25% stake in CGC, or CCG, I would absolutley not include PGX comics in my auctions

We weren't talking about PGX though, we were talking about a viable competitor. If PGX was a viable competitor I'd put money on the fact that Heritage would be selling their books.

Smart money doesn't voluntarily exclude themselves from market share.

1 for 14 last night...ugh...not doing very well
Sorry to hear that Gator! I'm doing better in that department since I started subcribing to GPAnalysis to give me a better idea of what books are really worth compared to Overstreet values! Overstreet really should do a major overhaul of his guide prices, they are really out of whack in many cases! EJR

1 for 14 last night...ugh...not doing very well

[font:Times New Roman]Which puppy did you snap up? Curiosity is killing the Cat-Man.[/font] hm

for my True comics run:

Congratulations! You are the winning bidder on the following ComicLink auction:

Item Detail:

ITEM DETAIL: TRUE COMICS #2, CGC 9.2 NM-

FINAL PRICE: $380