• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb CLink Auction

342 posts in this topic

Nothing to do with nothing, but I just noticed comiclink is actively preventing ALL search engines from crawling the site. How odd.

Preventing people from scraping data?

Yeah, I suppose that's probably the gist of it, Though if someone in specific is trying to do that there'd be better ways to stop it than to prevent google from indexing the site!

Let new buyers who are googling to find out who's got an for sale find out that you have some or have sold some. There are numerous google results for HA and CC sales and offerings for GA or SA books. There's no doubt that's gaining them customers.

They're paying a pretty heavy price for holding their information that close, I'd think, but I know that argument has been made before from other angles.

Ah well.

Won one SA book (which I don't really collect, but put in a tracking bid for curiosity's sake... and it won) and missed on all the GA bids. If CL had a tracking feature, I probably would not have bid on it.

Might have to be a bit more aggressive tonight hm

Or just wait for the CC auction. Or the next HA auction. Or something from the Boards. Or Sparklecity and eBay. Or... well, you get the picture.

A new competitor would help CGC with their consistency. Personally, I think it's just a matter of time.

I don't. I think there was a window of opportunity before CGC brought over Matt Nelson. Now I think the barrier of opportunity is much higher.

A new competitor would help CGC with their consistency. Personally, I think it's just a matter of time.

I don't. I think there was a window of opportunity before CGC brought over Matt Nelson. Now I think the barrier of opportunity is much higher.

I don't. If it happens and they do it right, they will take 50% of CGC's business from the first day.

One thing you can say about last night's round one of CL auction, there is no love for Fawcett books! EJR :(

I thought the Captain Marvel Adventures 18 did a little better than expected. I'd been tracking it but didn't really want to pay that much for a book on a downward spiral.

I don't. If it happens and they do it right, they will take 50% of CGC's business from the first day.

I think it would depend on the players involved.

Yeah, verily.

Exactly. Who is this trusted team that you are hiring that instills confidence in the hobby and takes half of CGCs business from day one?!? Which restoration expert are they hiring that instills more confidence in the hobby than Matt? Which graders? Who is leading this?

The truth is that the logistics involved make this prospect much more complicated than you posit. If it was so easy, it would have already happened.

Is there room in the marketplace for a competitor? Absolutely, but who is putting the millions up and who is leading this and who is working under them?

Again, before Matt was off the table, I think there was a tremendous window of opportunity, especially since CGC had just lost their resto expert. Once they brought Matt on, it made the prospect of this happening much more challenging and CGC knew it. Kudos to Matt though as he was in the right place at the right time.

Exactly. Who is this trusted team that you are hiring that instills confidence in the hobby and takes half of CGCs business from day one?!? Which restoration expert are they hiring that instills more confidence in the hobby than Matt? Which graders? Who is leading this?

The truth is that the logistics involved make this prospect much more complicated than you posit. If it was so easy, it would have already happened.

Is there room in the marketplace for a competitor? Absolutely, but who is putting the millions up and who is leading this and who is working under them?

Again, before Matt was off the table, I think there was a tremendous window of opportunity, especially since CGC had just lost their resto expert. Once they brought Matt on, it made the prospect of this happening much more challenging and CGC knew it. Kudos to Matt though as he was in the right place at the right time.

Matt doesn't work for CGC.

There are a couple of former CGC employees that could instill confidence in a new company.

That's true, but stepping back and looking at it objectively, who were the trusted people before they worked for CGC? They were simply respected collectors and dealers, and we have a ton of those in our midst.

There's plenty of people who know how to grade and spot resto. I know how to. It's not a hidden science.

It's a matter of pulling the entire picture together, and that is something that is more difficult to do than just find respected graders.

The posit already took that into account. I think the true question is, who does CGC have left that instills that kind of confidence?

That's true, but stepping back and looking at it objectively, who were the trusted people before they worked for CGC? They were simply respected collectors and dealers, and we have a ton of those in our midst.

There's plenty of people who know how to grade and spot resto. I know how to. It's not a hidden science.

It's a matter of pulling the entire picture together, and that is something that is more difficult to do than just find respected graders.

There are plenty of the right people. It's just a matter of the right people making it happen, and the financial backing.

One thing you can say about last night's round one of CL auction, there is no love for Fawcett books! EJR :(

if it ain't a mac cover, it's a pariah.

(tsk)

Don't forget the Swayze covers

Wow9FC.jpg

true; but very few exceptions.

The posit already took that into account. I think the true question is, who does CGC have left that instills that kind of confidence?

When it comes to Golden Age? Nobody.

So has there been a decline in GA submissions as a result of this vote of no confidence. It's really a question of whether people even care anymore who's grading or checking for resto. If that's the case, I would argue PGX doesn't get more business b/c of the complete lack of trust in their impartiality. Frankly, I think the initial costs of entry work against a competitor. Add to that, the possibility (since no one knows for sure who the owners are) that someone like Heritage or Metropolis some other large submitter, owns part of CGC.

So has there been a decline in GA submissions as a result of this vote of no confidence. It's really a question of whether people even care anymore who's grading or checking for resto. If that's the case, I would argue PGX doesn't get more business b/c of the complete lack of trust in their impartiality. Frankly, I think the initial costs of entry work against a competitor. Add to that, the possibility (since no one knows for sure who the owners are) that someone like Heritage or Metropolis some other large submitter, owns part of CGC.

Years ago, Jim Halperin indicated that Heritage owns a 25% stake in CGC's parent company.