• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you alter a pedigree'd book?

29 posts in this topic

If you had a pedigree book that was only a 6.5 and would benefit from pressing/cleaning, would you? Or would you leave it in its natural state?

If you had a pedigree book that was gorgeous but had minor color touch, would you have it removed and regraded?

I've talked to a few collectors who would prefer the book unaltered, yet don't the auction houses press, clean, etc to maximize the book's value?

I so confuzeled.

If you had a pedigree book that was only a 6.5 and would benefit from pressing/cleaning, would you? Or would you leave it in its natural state?

If you had a pedigree book that was gorgeous but had minor color touch, would you have it removed and regraded?

I've talked to a few collectors who would prefer the book unaltered, yet don't the auction houses press, clean, etc to maximize the book's value?

I so confuzeled.

If you had a pedigree book that had minor color touch then I'd say it's already been altered! hm

I so confuzeled.

If you had a pedigree book that had minor color touch then I'd say it's already been altered! hm

One could say the same thing about the 6.5 grade. Cleaning/pressing would help return the book closer to its original condition, or natural state.

I think any pedigree collection that has come to market this decade, if they are slabbed, were probably pressed. I used to be totally against the pressing of pedigree books but I since waved the white flag. I still take pride in knowing many of my pedigree books have not been pressed.

Are you asking if after pressing or restoring a book you can maintain the pedigree, the answer is yes. The provenance of the book stays if you keep and send the old label when regrading. The graders don't see the old label or the old grade so any enhancements or possible degradations will be weeded out naturally.

If you think that a press would increase the value of the book and that's your aim, then I don't see anything wrong with that. If it's rotten and would benefit from conservation/restoration and you want to do that, that would be perfectly fine also.

It's also perfectly fine to do nothing and save your money.

I so confuzeled.

I would only alter a Pedigree book for two reasons :

a) It would make me happier

b) It would annoy a purist.

...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. You're collecting for personal enjoyment....don't let other's opinions ruin that for you.....have fun.

Thanks for the feedback. Part of me worried about the book retaining it's pedigree, the other was how it would be received by other collectors down the road. In the end, I just want the book to look as good as possible.

....knowing the book, the defect, and the ped would make it easier to advise. I sold a White Mountain 6.5 TOS 44 to a friend not long ago....it had a one inch spine split that I would have definitely had sealed if I had kept it.....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks for the feedback. Part of me worried about the book retaining it's pedigree, the other was how it would be received by other collectors down the road. In the end, I just want the book to look as good as possible.

I think the nostalgic types would say hell no. While the commercial types would say yes. And never the twain shall meet.

Pretty sure this book and 90% of the pacific coast ped was pressed and it didn't seem to hurt market perception of them too much...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/26/highest-graded-copy-of-x-men-1-goes-for-record-492937-50/

I think the nostalgic types would say hell no. While the commercial types would say yes. And never the twain shall meet.

I think you're wrong. I've had several pedigree books pressed and I'm certainly not what one would refer to as a "commercial type."

I guess your question was about CGC certified books. Was the Pedigree certification a widely known practice before CGC? I am ignorant, so I am just thinking about Mile High, for example, which was there before CGC, right?

I recently bought a book from Worldwide which is part from some pedigree not recognized by CGC, and also has no certificate coming with it.

I think your question has more to do with how much slabbing confer a certification and about the collectors' attitude towards considering a book an object rather than reading material.

I mean, I like the Pedigree idea as far as it testifies the book’s provenience (publisher's file copies, etc) but I would not keep a book slabbed if it has to stay in my collection. I see CGC as a warranty about buying, but I don’t like the idea of books in a state of "suspended animation". :)

There have been some instances where a slabbed pedigreed book was pressed and sent for regrading without providing CGC with the pedigree info, so the pedigree designation disappeared from the label. The motivation being apparently to disguise the fact that the book had been pressed into a higher grade.

The calculation must be that buyers would be more displeased to know that the book had originally been a lower grade than pleased that the book is a pedigree. Seems odd to me, but it happens.

There have been some instances where a slabbed pedigreed book was pressed and sent for regrading without providing CGC with the pedigree info, so the pedigree designation disappeared from the label. The motivation being apparently to disguise the fact that the book had been pressed into a higher grade.

The calculation must be that buyers would be more displeased to know that the book had originally been a lower grade than pleased that the book is a pedigree. Seems odd to me, but it happens.

People who do that are stupid, especially if they are doing it for the money. By dropping the pedigree status, they are potentially throwing away an additional 10 to 20 percent over a non-pedigree copy depending on the pedigree.

Are you asking if after pressing or restoring a book you can maintain the pedigree, the answer is yes. The provenance of the book stays if you keep and send the old label when regrading. The graders don't see the old label or the old grade so any enhancements or possible degradations will be weeded out naturally.

If you think that a press would increase the value of the book and that's your aim, then I don't see anything wrong with that. If it's rotten and would benefit from conservation/restoration and you want to do that, that would be perfectly fine also.

It's also perfectly fine to do nothing and save your money.

+1.

I'm all about Pedigrees and not altering them but even I cant muster the energy to get upset about pressing one. I just assume 99% of my Pedigree books have already been pressed unless they happen to be old labels and even some of them probably were.

Now, if we are talking about Church books or some other GA Pedigrees, thats a different story in my mind. A book that sat unaltered since the 30's-40's, i wouldnt touch. SA Pedigrees, it doesnt bother me at all.

Now, if we are talking about Church books or some other GA Pedigrees, thats a different story in my mind. A book that sat unaltered since the 30's-40's, i wouldnt touch. SA Pedigrees, it doesnt bother me at all.

Messing with a GA Church book is like suggesting Marilyn Monroe get a boob job.

The original is perfect.