• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

Trillium is WoWza!!!! and been a Brubaker fan since I stumbled across Lowlife so many years ago. Keep up the Great work Frank......your book is one of the reasons I LOVE comics!!!!

Edited by THB

What I'm reading:

Ten Grand -- huge fan of Ben's work and this has really been a surprise...

my favorite book of all time is Ex Machina, by Brian K. Vaughan.

I have really been meaning to check both of these out and you have just bumped Ten Grand to the top of the pile :P

What I'm reading:

Quite honestly, I read A LOT of comics. I try to keep my eyes on everything as a fan and creator. But here is stuff I've really been liking (and it's probably not different from many of you guys):

Saga -- top of the pile. Unmitigated goodness.

Locke & Key -- again, equally amazing.

Hawkeye -- yup.

East of West -- wasn't really onboard at first, but now one of my favorites.

Fatale -- I will read anything Brubaker writes.

Hickman Avengers -- love Hickman, but this is starting to lose my interest

Ten Grand -- huge fan of Ben's work and this has really been a surprise...didn't expect to like it as much as I do.

Trillium -- amazing first issue.

...and lots more. I really loved Grant Morrison's run on Batman, for the record. Also, my favorite book of all time is Ex Machina, by Brian K. Vaughan.

Ex Machina was great and the covers are unbelievable. I like your picks but I haven't read Locke & Key. I think its cool that you have a top of the pile and your book is in the top of the pile.

Edited by The Authority

I am surprised by the 21% decline from first issue. It was holding well until issue #4.

Most folks like it so I am really puzzled by the data.

-14% (% decline of #4 with regards to #1)

-21% (% decline of #5 with regards to #1

First issues always get speculator bumps.

There was also no way to evaluate in advance what the demand would be, so the print runs for the first issue or so would have either been too few or too many.

I prefer to see it as the glass is half full rather than empty simply because it's retained a rather solid 80% of the original interest.

Now that it's escaped the stigma that a 'mini' brings with the announcement of an ongoing, the title has room to grow and gain readership.

Don't forget, this title has no 'hype' relating to movies, tv, etc. Whatever interest is out there relates to a true fanbase.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if before long we hear about such developments. It's hard to keep the genie bottled up after all.

I think it is more of a reflection of summer/con time ordering rather than anything indicative of people's thoughts on this series. The people on this site also knew it was ongoing. I'm not sure everybody else did or at least not when ordering 4 and 5. This book is a gem and I think readership will grow over time.

I think it is more of a reflection of summer/con time ordering rather than anything indicative of people's thoughts on this series. The people on this site also knew it was ongoing. I'm not sure everybody else did or at least not when ordering 4 and 5. This book is a gem and I think readership will grow over time.

+1

I know. Glass half full - half empty scenario.

On a side note, can anybody point to me any examples of a title that experience a declining print run but is able to pick up later on WITHOUT a tv show or film announcement?

I am relatively new and I am not seen any titles that manage this kind of trend reversal.

There was also no way to evaluate in advance what the demand would be, so the print runs for the first issue or so would have either been too few or too many.

I prefer to see it as the glass is half full rather than empty simply because it's retained a rather solid 80% of the original interest.

Now that it's escaped the stigma that a 'mini' brings with the announcement of an ongoing, the title has room to grow and gain readership.

Don't forget, this title has no 'hype' relating to movies, tv, etc. Whatever interest is out there relates to a true fanbase.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if before long we hear about such developments. It's hard to keep the genie bottled up after all.

They know exactly what the demand is for the first few issues based on retailer orders which are based on customer pre-orders. It's the same with any book. They only print what's ordered. It's not a guess.

They know exactly what the demand is for the first few issues based on retailer orders which are based on customer pre-orders. It's the same with any book. They only print what's ordered. It's not a guess.

Its a guess as to how many people will keep reading, how many won't, how word of mouth will be, or the fact that this book will be ongoing after originally being a 5 issue mini. Comics would never rise or fall in value if everybody knew exactly how many books to order. It is a guess on issue 1 imho.

Surprising no one, I am a huge nerd for "data" regarding comics sales, etc.

First, I'd just like to note that ICV2 are just *estimates* based on Diamond rankings, etc. The numbers also don't include Diamond sales in England--while they are pretty close, they are normally skewed by at least 800-1000 copies...so we're actually doing a little better than represented there (as is everyone else on the list for the most part).

We had a significant amount of orders for our second printing of number one. Though I won't get into the print run itself (let's just say second printings of number one are still available from Diamond), we sold 3,500 of 'em out of the gate. That brings our actual sales on issue one more towards the ballpark of 18,000--which is amazing, by my own standard.

Issue two also saw a significant reprint--while we didn't sell as many as #1 reprint, it was still a nice shot in the arm.

Three continued to hold (and actually sold a little better than #2 before reprint which was interesting), and four is where we first saw the dropoff--which frankly, was expected, but I'm just very glad it took three issues in. Five did hit the lowest we've seen, but still well above 10,000--that's been my goal since we saw the book had a little bit of heat on it and I'm very thankful to everyone who has stuck on board, retailers and fans alike.

I think the first two issues were definitely over ordered due to speculation--yes, the book is "pre-ordered" by fans, but I think the honest number of our readership is floating more around the 10K mark--which is phenomenal! The whole team is incredibly thankful for anyone interested, in to be able to build a readership that large from nothing is a milestone.

I'm hoping with the trade coming (and at a $9.99 price point) we can pick up plenty of new readers in time for issue 6. Issue 6 also being a stand alone story that doesn't draw too deeply on the first arc is also intended to bring in new readers--so we'll see what happens. We want to do this book for a long time, so certainly tell your friends and anyone you think would be interested about it! It's the best thing anyone can do at this point, and very appreciated by the whole team.

Well, now I've rambled on, but that's my current status on where we're at ; ). We've got some fun stuff lined up #6, including a very special Phantom Variant that we'll hopefully be unveiling soon. Also, definitely going to try to have a sketch variant for issue 7!

Best,

Frank