• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

:o I just watched a raw signed set sell individually for more than a full CGC SS set. Everything I thought I knew about comics just went up in smoke. Back to the drawing board for me.

That graded set was a steal! I was too busy at the con and break down after or it would have been my 4th set.

:o I just watched a raw signed set sell individually for more than a full CGC SS set. Everything I thought I knew about comics just went up in smoke. Back to the drawing board for me.

That graded set was a steal! I was too busy at the con and break down after or it would have been my 4th set.

I hear ya. If I wasn't at my buddy's birthday bash I would've bid way more than that. Winner if you are reading this, Congrats!

Another thing to consider... Is a 9.6 so awful that it hits the value of the set that much?

Not in my eyes. The differences between a 9.6 and 9.8 are nearly negligible. People do pay more for 9.8s so I try to get them but I've seen books that to me are 9.4 that grade 9.8 and Vice versa. We are buying educated opinions lol

Edited by The Authority

Another thing to consider... Is a 9.6 so awful that it hits the value of the set that much?

Not in my eyes. The differences between a 9.6 and 9.8 are nearly negligible. People do pay more for 9.8s so I try to get them but I've seen books that to me are 9.4 that grade 9.8 and Vice versa. We are buying educated opinions lol

True. It's all about the collector's mentality. 9.6 isn't bad, but collector's prefer 9.8 to the point that 9.6 books usually sell for up to half less than their 9.8 counterparts; which is :screwy:

For collectors not competing in building the best registry sets, I compare it to those people who have to have name brand clothing. They go out shopping for a polo shirt and although there are many cheaper options than say Ralph Lauren Polo, they just refuse to settle for the cheaper alternatives. At the core, it's a snob attitude in my opinion, but to each their own. Collectors typically want the best they can get.

True. It's all about the collector's mentality. 9.6 isn't bad, but collector's prefer 9.8 to the point that 9.6 books usually sell for up to half less than their 9.8 counterparts; which is :screwy:

For collectors not competing in building the best registry sets, I compare it to those people who have to have name brand clothing. They go out shopping for a polo shirt and although there are many cheaper options than say Ralph Lauren Polo, they just refuse to settle for the cheaper alternatives. At the core, it's a snob attitude in my opinion, but to each their own. Collectors typically want the best they can get.

Excellent analogy. The vast majority of what I keep for myself is raw. I'm pretty easily satisfied and I used to go back and read them more than once. Now there are tpbs for almost everything which I love. I handle those like a kid would lol

That's wonderful (thumbs u

It looks like you had another something good on the bottom right of your picture. Congrats !!!

Yeah I'm stoked. That's a Letter 44 #1 SDCC in the corner

Woohoo ! I'm fired up about that one myself. Good way to start the week. (thumbs u