• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Hole Collectors

17 posts in this topic

Feeling a little glum here - :tonofbricks:

Does anyone have any: advice / success stories / horror stories / last rites re: trying to engage with a BHC?

Feel free to post here or PM me if anyone feels like responding.

Thanks

Andrew

by definition, does a BHC have a CAF gallery?

Yes they do but you can't see them.

But you can measure the effect of the mass of their collections - that's how you know they're there. The lamentations of the people who are aware of how close they are.

bad black hole joke

s'okay, you're just trying to ease my pain with a little laughter.

There are different types of BHCs:

1) some never sell pieces of their collection no matter what - in that case, they likely won't sell and it will need to be something life changing (or life shortening) that happens to them before those pieces will come free

2) some will only sell if they're offered "crazy money" for a piece - the only way to get it from them may be to offer them 2-10x what it's worth. Be prepared, but if it's worth it to you, go for it!

3) some will only part with a piece if they can get a piece in trade that they've been looking for. This was more prevalent 10 years ago when collectors could buy up all the art of a certain artist or genre becuase the prices were comparitively cheap. In this case, yo may have to do a liot of leg work to find a piece that the other person wants more

Best is to determine what type of BHC you're dealing with and adjust the way you deal with them accordingly. Politeness and empathy can go a long way in this hobby so you should always be nice!

1) some never sell pieces of their collection no matter what - in that case, they likely won't sell and it will need to be something life changing (or life shortening) that happens to them before those pieces will come free

Best is to determine what type of BHC you're dealing with and adjust the way you deal with them accordingly. Politeness and empathy can go a long way in this hobby so you should always be nice!

Good points. From personal experience, I'd augment your list with

1B) some never sell pieces of their collection no matter what... but never say never: even these collectors can have a change of heart "just because", so be genuine, demonstrate your passion for the art (as opposed to your obsession to simply obtain something that eludes you), state your interest... And then back off. Be respectful. Don't hound, or even continue to remind. One day, some day, you might be in for a surprise. It happened to me. Out of the blue, the owner sent me an email and asked me to make an offer. He said he knew it would be going to a good home where it would be appreciated and cared for.

2) some will only sell if they're offered "crazy money" for a piece - the only way to get it from them may be to offer them 2-10x what it's worth. Be prepared, but if it's worth it to you, go for it!

3) some will only part with a piece if they can get a piece in trade that they've been looking for. This was more prevalent 10 years ago when collectors could buy up all the art of a certain artist or genre becuase the prices were comparitively cheap. In this case, yo may have to do a liot of leg work to find a piece that the other person wants more

I'm all three of those guys.

My CAF gallery

I'm all three of those guys.

My CAF gallery

Do you like the work of Richard corben? Your collection is great, but feels like it needs corben art.