• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics... 9.8......

186 posts in this topic

So, you guys are saying that Metro hates me, and sent me drek on purpose? Or is it just Marvel books that are over-graded?

I've bought multiple raw comics from Metro within the last three months. Most all Bronze Marvels and what could be considered cheaper titles. Other than one comic (out of 40-50 maybe?), they have been as advertised. The one exception was a pedigree book (Oakland) that I suspect was given a lot of latitude because of designation. In fact, in a couple cases I think they undergraded a tad.....

Jim

I've bought multiple raw comics from Metro within the last three months. Most all Bronze Marvels and what could be considered cheaper titles. Other than one comic (out of 40-50 maybe?), they have been as advertised.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Now I'm assuming these were graded NM or better by Metro?

If so, then there may also be the "Canadian Thing" going on here, where overgraded books are dumped on non-US customers (cough *Chuck* cough) because they know we'll keep them, as return shipping is absolutely killer.

Or Metro hates me.

I've bought multiple raw comics from Metro within the last three months. Most all Bronze Marvels and what could be considered cheaper titles. Other than one comic (out of 40-50 maybe?), they have been as advertised.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Now I'm assuming these were graded NM or better by Metro?

If so, then there may also be the "Canadian Thing" going on here, where overgraded books are dumped on non-US customers (cough *Chuck* cough) because they know we'll keep them, as return shipping is absolutely killer.

Or Metro hates me.

grin.gif Maybe...do they even know your real name?

And yes, all the comics except for a couple (8.5s) ranged from 9.2-9.6. The Fear 10 I posted here awhile back was also received from Metro and they graded that one an 8.0.

It could be that they aren't as thorough with the "cheaper" comics as they are for their more expensive ones? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

grin.gif Maybe...do they even know your real name?

God only knows, and he won't tell.

Now just to clear up any misconceptions, the ones that fit the Modern tier are going in my "CGC pile", so that an unbiased, 3rd-party can evaluate the books and grade them.

I know this might be a supreme waste of money, but if I'm wrong, then I'll admit it. If not, at least no one can doubt the findings. confused-smiley-013.gif

Let's see some scans!!

My last metro order resulted in one golden age keeper, and two over-graded bronze books which were promptly returned. I just have to wonder who the heck graded those books, b/c I simply can't believe it was Steve or Vinnie...both books were over by 2 grade steps or so.

In a grading forum some years ago (3 years?) at San Diego, Vinnie says he goes through all the books, but he spends roughly 30 seconds on each book. Personally, I don't think that's enough time on each book. Don't know if he has hired more graders or if his policies have changed since then.

[Vinnie says he goes through all the books, but he spends roughly 30 seconds on each book. Personally, I don't think that's enough time on each book. Don't know if he has hired more graders or if his policies have changed since then.

If Vinnie spend 0.3 seconds looking at these books, there is no way a 9.X would have ever come close to the labels.

Unless he's gone blind, I GUARANTEE they've got a new grader for less-expensive books. I talked to Banner about this, and his Golden Age book (likely Vinnie graded) was nice, but the Bronze Age books (ex-Head Grader at MileHigh) were way off.

Obviously these books were graded by two different people, regardless of the time taken.

Im not condoning it, but if Metro buys a truckload of bagged and boarded Bronze, clearly not every book will get taken out of th ebag, put under spotlights and painstakingly graded, rebagged etc. Many will just be looked at quickly in their good enough to stay bagged baggies an dthats it. Especially th echeaper books (under $40 (?) ) If you got one send ot back with enough of an attitude so as to make them rethink their procedures, at least when shipping tp youy.

All your conspiracy scenarios are, I hope. just kidding around. Or else, we gotta put Metro pn th esame list as Chuckles to veer away from on cheaper books...

Im not condoning it, but if Metro buys a truckload of bagged and boarded Bronze, clearly not every book will get taken out of th ebag, put under spotlights and painstakingly graded, rebagged etc.

I totally agree, but I think it's pretty lame to be labelling those same books as "NM+ 9.8", don't you? You really can't have one without the other.

I don't think it's just you. I'm guessing that Metro's grading is just hit and miss on the lower end stuff since others here are endorsing their grading. I recently did the same as you to test out their grading before buying higher end books and was disappointed. I bought 4 Byrne X-Men books, 2 9.6s and 2 9.8s. The highest grade ANY of them would have gotten is a 9.2, which was one of the alleged 9.8 books, the other 3 were between VF and VF/NM. None of these books was even remotely close to a 9.6 much less a 9.8. I promptly returned them and won't be wasting my time buying from them again.

I bought 4 Byrne X-Men books, 2 9.6s and 2 9.8s. The highest grade ANY of them would have gotten is a 9.2, which was one of the alleged 9.8 books, the other 3 were between VF and VF/NM. None of these books was even remotely close to a 9.6 much less a 9.8.

That was EXACTLY my experience as well, although I'd be surprised if any of mine rated above a 9.0 at best.

We try our best. If people are unhappy with a grade on a given book, we are more than happy to take the book back. In some cases, books experience slight damage after they are graded. It happens.

If people want CGC 9.8s, they should buy books already in CGC holders that state 9.8 at the top. No one should buy raw books from anyone with the expectation of getting a 9.8 from CGC. If it happens great, but don't expect it.

If a buyer disagrees with a grade, sometimes I will agree with them and sometimes not. I have attempted to sell high grade books to certain people who 'ya just can't please. Standards that are one-sided (in their favor). When these same individuals attempt to sell me books, those incredibly strict standards seem to go out the window.

Steve

I really don't know why any dealer would list any grades above 9.6. It's such a crapshoot. I've bought a few bronze 9.8s from Metropolis... they were in great shape -- definately 9.4s and probably 9.6s... but 9.8? confused-smiley-013.gif I wouldn't bet on it.

Thats all I was hoping for and it just wasnt there!

Davidking623

If people want CGC 9.8s, they should buy books already in CGC holders that state 9.8 at the top. No one should buy raw books from anyone with the expectation of getting a 9.8 from CGC. If it happens great, but don't expect it.

I agree with this comment but at the same time 9.8 should not be a grade given to raw comics on your site for sale. I have purchased several comics from Metropolis in the past and have had a 90% success rate and excellent customer service.

I agree with this comment but at the same time 9.8 should not be a grade given to raw comics on your site for sale. I have purchased several comics from Metropolis in the past and have had a 90% success rate and excellent customer service.

Again this is all I was hoping for also! I called them up to return 4 Byrne X Men books as there was nothing that nice to warrant the grades I mean when they grade it a 10.0 it should at least look real nice what a laugh one 9.8 was much nicer than a 10.0 .So I go to returning them and the guy on the other line says to me what you wanted 11 or 12 grades and customer service went out the door for me as they dont need me and I dont need them were both happy with our situations and both content not doing business with each other and our worlds both rock and we are getting along nicely with our new situation!

Davidking623

If people wnt CGC 9.8s, they should buy books already in CGC holders that state 9.8 at the top. No one should buy raw books from anyone with the expectation of getting a 9.8 from CGC. If it happens great, but don't expect it.

Obviously, but a Raw Metropolis 9.8 should still be a quality book, and at least on the level of a CGC 9.4, don't you think?

And please, don't try and allude to myself and others as "impossible to please", as all I was really expecting from the Metro 9.6 and 9,8 books were NM or near quality, nothing more and nothing less. I had no illusions of receiving CGC 9.8 (in fact, these were for my collection), but on the other hand, I wasn't paying a premium for VF+ either.

If these books are indicative of your overall grading strategy, you guys need to revamp the way things are done.

P.S. I've looked over the books again, and the closest-to-NM one has some form of a Mylar cover and new board. One of the 9.8's that's grossly over-graded is in an old polybag with a ratty warped board, and doesn't look to have ever been opened.

That should give you a few clues where to start. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One of the 9.8's that's grossly over-graded is in an old polybag with a ratty warped board, and doesn't look to have ever been opened.

More FYI - the books I ordered came mostly in either Mylite 2 or Mylar. A couple of the lower grade (9.2) were in the regular bags. Out of ten in my first order, 7 I am keeping. Spoke with them on the phone and no problems with the returns. In fact, when I asked if they wanted a reason for the returns, Zac said it wasn't necessary. I also made a mistake on the shipping adress for the 2nd order I have placed and he cleared it up very quickly. So far I just don't have any compaints. And for the books I kept I really am pleased with the gradig. In fact, I am seriously considering having some CGCd. Time will tell.

More FYI - the books I ordered came mostly in either Mylite 2 or Mylar.

Yeah, every book I've ordered from them recently has come with a Mylar, except for one. Like Pov, I'm pretty pleased with Metropolis. I've never had a problem with their books or their service.

Steve, I've got a question, and it's one of the main reasons I'm a little ticked at the transaction. Now I assumed buying NM+ 9.6 to 9.8 copies from a reputable company like Metropolis would *at least* get me 9.2-9.4 copies, so I didn't really go over the return policy with a fine-tooth comb:

"Returned merchandise must be received by us within seven (7) days of the date from which you contact us regarding the return."

I took one look at that, felt I had been reamed enough on one transaction, so I decided to at least keep the books and not get them down there in 9-10 days. Otherwise, I'm spending lots of cash for a courier to guarantee a less-than 7-day delivery time.

How in the world, without using a big $$$ courier services, could a non-US buyer ever qualify for a return from Metro?