• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics... 9.8......

186 posts in this topic

EVERY book I've got from them came in a mylar and all the books were damn close to the VF they were listed as.

Sure, but we're mostly talking about NM+ 9.6 to 9.8 books here. Also, I just checked and only two of the comics came in Mylites, the rest in milky polybags.

On another amusing note, right below the Metro stash were a few "NM- to NM" copies from Stan of Cheyenne and they put the Metro books to shame. And I think I spend $5 on those books. 27_laughing.gif

We try our best. If people are unhappy with a grade on a given book, we are more than happy to take the book back. In some cases, books experience slight damage after they are graded. It happens.

If people want CGC 9.8s, they should buy books already in CGC holders that state 9.8 at the top. No one should buy raw books from anyone with the expectation of getting a 9.8 from CGC. If it happens great, but don't expect it.

If a buyer disagrees with a grade, sometimes I will agree with them and sometimes not. I have attempted to sell high grade books to certain people who 'ya just can't please. Standards that are one-sided (in their favor). When these same individuals attempt to sell me books, those incredibly strict standards seem to go out the window.

Steve

Since the grade 9.8 is a CGC invention,if you don't think they will grade out as CGC 9.8,why in the world would you sell them as such?

If people should not expect 9.8s to come as such,why should we expect your 8.5s to come as such?

I've never had a problem with any book you graded but the above statement makes me wonder about buying a raw book in the future.

Since the grade 9.8 is a CGC invention,if you don't think they will grade out as CGC 9.8,why in the world would you sell them as such?

I thought the numeric system began with OSGG #1??? Well before CGC? My brain cells sometimes don't do very well and I no longer have my copy of OSGG #1. frown.gif

I could be mistaken,but I don't recall anyone using 9.6 9.8,or 10.0(still don't know why they use.0 after the 10)before CGC.

Never owned a first issue grading guide.It cetainly wasn't in common usage,as most dealers were using the letter grades long after that book came out,no?

Its only in the last two years that anyone has asked me about numbers on a non-slabbed book. I still use the alpha-grading exclusively. thumbsup2.gif

I thought it was Steve Fishler himself who invented the 10 point scale??

You are correct, Steve published his proposed numeric grading scale in the pages of CBG before CGC was (fill in your favorite cliche here). Not to mention it's an OS standard now as well, so in theory all the serious graders should be using the numeric scale! makepoint.gif

Of course, I don't list my books that way, but I digress... sorry.gif

Since the grade 9.8 is a CGC invention, if you don't think they will grade out as CGC 9.8,why in the world would you sell them as such?

If people should not expect 9.8s to come as such,why should we expect your 8.5s to come as such?

I've never had a problem with any book you graded but the above statement makes me wonder about buying a raw book in the future.

I truly find the above statement to be of great interest to me. Normally, I would never bring up the following point but since it being addressed, why not?

You state that 9.8 and therefore the whole grading scale is a CGC invention. In the next post, someone brings up that it is an Overstreet invention. Both of these statements are untrue. I and no one else created the current grading. Metropolis had used a 42-point scale for many years. The original Overstreet grading guide used a 100-point system (which no one understood). I created the current 10-point scale including each and every point on the scale with their corresponding nomenclature grades, for use in the Metropolis inventory database. Shortly afterward, I met with Bob Overstreet at his office in MD, in an attempt to address the shortcomings of 100-point scale (which no one really used) and to convince him to convert the next guide to the Metropolis 10 point scale. Two days later, in a conference call with Bob Overstreet and John Snyder, the Metropolis 10 point scale was further discussed in great detail. It was during this conference call that I dictated the entire scale to John Snyder. I dictated and he wrote. That is the scale that became the foundation for the next guide. It was the Metropolis 10 point scale that shortly afterward was adopted by CGC.

I find it funny when people state that Metropolis is "using" the CGC grading scale or is "using" the Overstreet grading scale. To be exact, it should be referred to as the Metropolis grading scale. If anyone has any doubt, just talk to John Snyder.

Discussions about grading standards are always welcomed. However, as the person who created 9.8 and 8.0 and 4.5 and 1.0, I too have something to say about the matter.

Stephen

If people want CGC 9.8s, they should buy books already in CGC holders that state 9.8 at the top. No one should buy raw books from anyone with the expectation of getting a 9.8 from CGC.

Well why sell them as 9.8 books then? You expect people to buy raw books from you at 9.8 prices but can't endorse the grade???

In the next post, someone brings up that it is an Overstreet invention. Both of these statements are untrue. I and no one else created the current grading. Metropolis had used a 42-point scale for many years. The original Overstreet grading guide used a 100-point system (which no one understood).

Err - I brought up the OSGG (geeze, your newest customer and I am just a "someone" frown.gif).

Anyway, you are 100% right - the first OSGG WAS a 100 point grading system. I understood it and remember thinking to myslef "why 100 points when 10 would serve just as well? (Had a few conversations with Gary Carter about it and some other things in the first OSGG).

Err - I brought up the OSGG (geeze, your newest customer and I am just a "someone" ).

You are more than just a "someone" to me. I didn't want the others to be jealous.

Uh oh - now comes the gossip.gif!!!!!!!! 27_laughing.gif

gossip.gif

I do endorse the 9.8 grade. My point is that if someone wants a CGC 9.8, they should buy it already in the holder. IMO, many 9.6s can be 9.8s and vice versa.

If someone buys a raw 9.8 they should get a book that is basically perfect. If that ain't the case, something has gone wrong.

I do endorse the 9.8 grade. My point is that if someone wants a CGC 9.8, they should buy it already in the holder. IMO, many 9.6s can be 9.8s and vice versa.

If someone buys a raw 9.8 they should get a book that is basically perfect. If that ain't the case, something has gone wrong.

Thats fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.

Geez, I spend 25 minutes concocting a diatribe in defense of 9.6 and higher as legitimate raw grades, only to find Metropolis here posting REAL information before I could click on submit! 27_laughing.gif What is this forum coming to? stooges.gif

My two cents - Customers who receive books they feel are inaccurately graded have an obligation to themselves (and to the seller) to discuss it with the dealer. Otherwise, they have no one to blame but themselves for their dissatisfaction. A dealer can't fix something they don't know is broken.

Since the grade 9.8 is a CGC invention, if you don't think they will grade out as CGC 9.8,why in the world would you sell them as such?

I truly find the above statement to be of great interest to me. Normally, I would never bring up the following point but since it being addressed, why not?

You state that 9.8 and therefore the whole grading scale is a CGC invention. In the next post, someone brings up that it is an Overstreet invention. Both of these statements are untrue. I and no one else created the current grading. Metropolis had used a 42-point scale for many years. The original Overstreet grading guide used a 100-point system (which no one understood). I created the current 10-point scale including each and every point on the scale with their corresponding nomenclature grades, for use in the Metropolis inventory database. Shortly afterward, I met with Bob Overstreet at his office in MD, in an attempt to address the shortcomings of 100-point scale (which no one really used) and to convince him to convert the next guide to the Metropolis 10 point scale. Two days later, in a conference call with Bob Overstreet and John Snyder, the Metropolis 10 point scale was further discussed in great detail. It was during this conference call that I dictated the entire scale to John Snyder. I dictated and he wrote. That is the scale that became the foundation for the next guide. It was the Metropolis 10 point scale that shortly afterward was adopted by CGC.

I find it funny when people state that Metropolis is "using" the CGC grading scale or is "using" the Overstreet grading scale. To be exact, it should be referred to as the Metropolis grading scale. If anyone has any doubt, just talk to John Snyder.

Discussions about grading standards are always welcomed. However, as the person who created 9.8 and 8.0 and 4.5 and 1.0, I too have something to say about the matter.

Stephen

hey, big fella, give credit where credit is due! I was the one who reminded everyone that the 10-point system was yours.