• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

yeah word from vintage comics is cgc is tight as h-ll in the 9.2-9.6 range right now. He sounded really upset

What the heck are you talking about? You emailed me out of the blue asking for my opinion and I gave It. I said CGC was tight on higher grade stuff. How did I sound "really upset"?

:makepoint:

First you air a private conversation between you and Josh and now you do the same to me and even add to it something that wasn't in the conversation.

...and all because you want a 9.6 on a book that I told you looked like a 9.2.

:facepalm:

lol

Agenda identified!!!!

:ohnoez:

Roy,

No good deed goes unpunished.

CAL who thinks Roy is 100% with his responses after trying to help someone in good faith

Dice who 100% doesn't care what Cal thinks.

Accurate grading would be preferable.

Tight grading is accurate grading. 'If' CGC is grading tighter I applaud it. The last thing we need is the terrible loose grading from a couple years ago. That was a disgrace to the hobby.

This.

Overly tight is not accurate, thus the term "overly" tight. Accurate grading is accurate grading. They don't need to strive for overly tight or overly loose. They need to find a standard and stick to it. They need to be consistent. Not fluctuate every 6 months. Thats not good for anyone.

I want to know that when I find a book that looks like a 9.4, it is a 9.4, not a 9.2 or a 9.6.

THIS is the answer!

Go, Dale! ^^

yeah word from vintage comics is cgc is tight as h-ll in the 9.2-9.6 range right now. He sounded really upset

No, he's not....it's almost impossible to upset him.

Thank you.

:acclaim:

I pizz him off occasionally...., :whistle:

Thank you.

I get pissy texts from him occasionally as well . . .

Thank you.

Its always been really easy for me to do??? :baiting:

lol

Thank you.

I get pissy texts from him occasionally as well . . .

That's your problem.

I really hope they've tightened up. I've bought a lot of books in the last year that were freshly graded that were very disappointing. But, being slabbed were unreturnable. Also a lot of books saying they were white pages, but once cracked out, not even close.

I guess loose grading is great for sellers, but definitely not great for buyers.

Too tight is not good either and makes their grading even more inconsistent. I've just stopped submitting altogether. If there were published standards then we could grade CGC on their grading. For now, I'm hearing a lot of people are being slammed, including myself, and I'm not tossing any more money into a burn pit.

I know "Learn to grade". Who can tell the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8; I can't. I'll pack a book and submit it and maybe get an 8. Resubmit it and get an 8.5. Then what is the real difference between that .6 and .8 especially when there is a half point swing depending on which phase the moon is in. I really think the standards should be published. It's not like a competitor is going to reinvent their wheel.

I don't want tight grades. I don't want loose grades. I want standardized accurate and consistent grades.

I don't want tight grades. I don't want loose grades. I want standardized accurate and consistent grades.

It's just that simple. (worship) [/quotes]

Ultimately, that is exactly their function. It really wouldn't matter if you agreed with their grades or not, just that there was more consistency so you would know what to expect. I spent a fair amount of time buying examples of different grades from them in the beginning to get a feel, and found the consistency wasn't there. Still isn't. Tough to do, but definitely could stand some improvement. I really prefer the auction sites with really hi resolution scans so I can tell what I'm buying (HA, CC). That's really my only complaint with CL, the scans are just not up to par. Otherwise, they've been great.

It really wouldn't matter if you agreed with their grades or not, just that there was more consistency so you would know what to expect.

Yup. Be as strict as you like. Just be truly consistent with it. Let me know that EVERY VF 8.0 is a sweet book. :cloud9:

It really wouldn't matter if you agreed with their grades or not, just that there was more consistency so you would know what to expect.

Yup. Be as strict as you like. Just be truly consistent with it. Let me know that EVERY VF 8.0 is a sweet book. :cloud9:

If it was a sweet book, it would be a 9.4 :baiting: