• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

I've got a few that I want to submit. I've bought slabs, but never submitted my own before. Sounds like now isn't the ideal time - and waiting 1/2 year once they have my comics is absurd.

I've got a few that I want to submit. I've bought slabs, but never submitted my own before. Sounds like now isn't the ideal time - and waiting 1/2 year once they have my comics is absurd.

I submit under standard. Get them back in a month.

I submit under standard. Get them back in a month.

Is that the common experience right now? Books are turning around in a month?

(shrug)

I got my books in 31 business days on fast track economy

That's probably more the realistic experience right now. :(

I'm a bit soured on CGC because of their inability to address the delays. This was my last submission for a while anyway.

Some might think CGC is being tight on their grading right now...I actually think they did a good job with my books.

Cry baby nonsense. I hate buying those loosely graded pieces of garbage. I dont care who profits or loses, i just want the book to reflect the grade assigned. This thread really opens eyes.

CGC now has a pressing service attached to them. Pressing has become the norm because people who submit books want the highest possible grade. Why is this thread so eye opening to you?

Gives an idea as to who i should buy from.

Because they want the highest possible grade from CGC? They're not the ones over-grading.

I would like an honest opinion from the seller if the book was graded tight or loose, gives me a better idea as to what im buying. Some people here would not be truthful, or wouldnt know the difference.

Nice non sequitur. I want consistency from CGC, as well as the best grades possible on the books I submit, so that makes me either A) a liar or B) ignorant as a result. That makes sense how?

I had you in mind as a positive not. I believe you would be honest and call a book and ugly (insert grade). SO you don't need to feel bad. I consider you an honest seller.

Cry baby nonsense. I hate buying those loosely graded pieces of garbage. I dont care who profits or loses, i just want the book to reflect the grade assigned. This thread really opens eyes.

CGC now has a pressing service attached to them. Pressing has become the norm because people who submit books want the highest possible grade. Why is this thread so eye opening to you?

Because they want the highest possible grade from CGC? They're not the ones over-grading.

I would like an honest opinion from the seller if the book was graded tight or loose, gives me a better idea as to what im buying. Some people here would not be truthful, or wouldnt know the difference.

Nice non sequitur. I want consistency from CGC, as well as the best grades possible on the books I submit, so that makes me either A) a liar or B) ignorant as a result. That makes sense how?

I had you in mind as a positive not. I believe you would be honest and call a book and ugly (insert grade). SO you don't need to feel bad. I consider you an honest seller.

Thanks. I've been upfront about overgraded slabs in the past, but people don't ask that often.

At this point I don't even know if they are accurate right now or too tight. When the goalposts move as much as they do, and CGC created the standards in the first place, who is to say what the "right" qualities are for each grade?

I think Roy said it best. Be tight, be loose, be just right. I don't care. Just don't move the target because I buy based on how I feel a grade will turn out. If I can't trust my own ability to tell the difference between a 9.2 and a 9.6 because CGC can't maintain grading consistency, that kind of sucks....and costs me money....and reduces confidence in their product.

If I came across as wanting to foist "overgraded" slabs on unsuspecting buyers, that's definitely not what I meant. At this point I am not even sure what overgraded and undergraded are any more. I just sub nice books and hope for the best.

Thanks. I've been upfront about overgraded slabs in the past, but people don't ask that often.

At this point I don't even know if they are accurate right now or too tight. When the goalposts move as much as they do, and CGC created the standards in the first place, who is to say what the "right" qualities are for each grade?

I think Roy said it best. Be tight, be loose, be just right. I don't care. Just don't move the target because I buy based on how I feel a grade will turn out. If I can't trust my own ability to tell the difference between a 9.2 and a 9.6 because CGC can't maintain grading consistency, that kind of sucks....and costs me money....and reduces confidence in their product.

If I came across as wanting to foist "overgraded" slabs on unsuspecting buyers, that's definitely not what I meant. At this point I am not even sure what overgraded and undergraded are any more. I just sub nice books and hope for the best.

+1 here.

+1 here.

+2

Consistency is easily the most important thing. If Third Party grading isn't consistent, then CGC only provides a worthwhile service to the legally blind.

+1 here.

+2

Consistency is easily the most important thing. If Third Party grading isn't consistent, then CGC only provides a worthwhile service to the legally blind.

+3

When I buy based on the target they have today, then the target changes tomorrow, they're in my pocket.

Not to mention ALREADY being in my pocket an extra $10 per book just because they can't turn around a normal submission within the gestation period of a human child.

Hallelujah! Holy mess! :sumo:

I believe the reality is that on any given day EVERY grader has fluctuations in consistency. The reason for this is we are human and it's not a machine that can have a +/- % of consistency.

Grading and opinions can change for anyone. I've seen some of the best graders I know overgrade and undergrade books.

CGC is no different. The issue is the microscope is on them to the nth degree and it's hard to live up to that standard of quality control when it's a subjective grading scale to begin with.

I have over 100 slabs and only a few do I think were under graded and a few over graded.

For the most part...they are doing a nice job in grading in my eyes.

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

I disagree - look at the bottom two corners, especially the right one, and the big dent/scrape in the middle above the dinosaur. 9.2 might be a gift grade - many around here would call it 9.0.

I agree

There are many variables in grading not just exterior covers that we can see and the stated page quality but interior of the books.

I have been collecting images of amazing fantasy 15 for months as I was going to buy a copy. I have 18 CGC 3.0 blue labels as an example and if you compare just the front covers you wonder what CGC is doing as the books are vastly different. They grade the whole book, and the example linked on page one of this thread is a 9.2 to me.