• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller kellyssuperheroes?
11 11

1,105 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 8:32 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Well, if you can pick me up to be able to give it a go, I suppose I'd have to concede 

any particular animal you'd like to be twisted into? lol 

Edited by kav

On 11/2/2021 at 3:09 PM, James J Johnson said:

Oh my God, are you still on this? Tell you what, let's make our plans now for ThanksShilling. As long as I'm not the turkey, what do we have planned here that can top Halloween? :wishluck:

Think of it as your coming out party, Danny.  

:acclaim:

How about we revisit the topic of rarest silver age keys, 15 years later?  

:banana:

That Brave and the Bold #25 is a MFer to find in anything above about 7.0.  The one I found was from Chuck by way of Dallas Stephens.   It graded out at 8.5 and was top census for a while.  It's still close to the top.  Very tough book and a lot more in demand now than back then, especially after that great second movie.  

The Action 242 above 6.0 is stupid hard.  I found one (Chuck again, believe it or not, after calling and checking EVERYWHERE else) that structurally was about a 7.0-7.5 but it had a huge, faint blue bleed through stain (not color touch) on the inside front cover.  It was probably from the cyan plate on those deep purple cover inks.  Chuck said it was 8.0 but no, not even without the stain. (tsk)

The book cost $600 at the time, which was a lot for that book when I didn't know if it would grade over a 5.0 with the stain and I didn't know if it would confuse the grader and maybe grade out PLOD.   I sent it back to Mile High because the transfer stain made me wonder if the cover had been washed, but now I don't think so and I completely regret returning it.  

Anyone else want to talk Brave and the Bold 25 or Action 242 or whatever the REAL hard to find silver age keys are? I'm pretty sure JJJ can spit gold on this topic, but anyone else should feel free to contribute their own experiences.

Edited by FFB
Couple things

On 11/3/2021 at 1:04 AM, FFB said:

Anyone else want to talk Brave and the Bold 25 or Action 242 or whatever the REAL hard to find silver age keys are? I'm pretty sure JJJ can spit gold on this topic, but anyone else should feel free to contribute their own experiences.

That was always one of his things, wasn't (isn't) it?  He knows so much about books.  He's probably forgotten more than I know.  He's an encyclopedia of comic knowledge but he uses his "powers" not for good, but for "evil".  It's too bad.  He could've been one of the hobbies finest.  He went a different route a long time ago.  

It definitely makes a lot of sense. For quite some time now I've noticed what, in my opinion, was what I would describe as a bit of an eye rolling ego on 3J. His talk about 'his targets' and whatnot, all so overblown for the scale and subject matter of what he was doing. I read it as a man with an ego, and something else that I couldn't put my finger on, that didn't seem right. 

Now it makes sense, as it's all fallen into place. I was not a member at the time of any of Dupcak's shenanigans or memberships, but I WAS a lurker for a lot of it, so I do have familiarity with the subject matter. 3J definitely does match decently with Dupcak. 

It's a shame, Dupcak, as you do possess knowledge that would benefit us all, like it has in the past, but you just can't help yourself when it comes to staying on the straight and narrow. 

On 11/3/2021 at 6:50 AM, chrisco37 said:

That was always one of his things, wasn't (isn't) it?  He knows so much about books.  He's probably forgotten more than I know.  He's an encyclopedia of comic knowledge but he uses his "powers" not for good, but for "evil".  It's too bad.  He could've been one of the hobbies finest.  He went a different route a long time ago.  

Is anyone else going to point out the irony of trying to uncover the secret identity of the hobbies most revered super villain, in a comic book forum? 

I agree, he could have been thought of as one of those foundational figures who gave credibility to the entire hobby.  When you read his history and the old forums, it's astonishing to see how many of the hobbies biggest books he bought and sold.  

But instead he invented warehouse finds, forged signatures and sold thousands of restored books as unrestored. So great, KSH now discloses the restoration, buried deep in the items description. He's still running a comic book chop shop for no other reason than to squeeze money out of unsuspecting buyers. 

On 11/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, KCOComics said:

But instead he invented warehouse finds, forged signatures and sold thousands of restored books as unrestored. So great, KSH now discloses the restoration, buried deep in the items description. He's still running a comic book chop shop for no other reason than to squeeze money out of unsuspecting buyers.

This guy is the scum of the earth. Money? God only knows how much he's scammed people over the years. Probably in the millions.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:04 AM, FFB said:

Think of it as your coming out party, Danny.  

:acclaim:

How about we revisit the topic of rarest silver age keys, 15 years later?  

:banana:

That Brave and the Bold #25 is a MFer to find in anything above about 7.0.  The one I found was from Chuck by way of Dallas Stephens.   It graded out at 8.5 and was top census for a while.  It's still close to the top.  Very tough book and a lot more in demand now than back then, especially after that great second movie.  

The Action 242 above 6.0 is stupid hard.  I found one (Chuck again, believe it or not, after calling and checking EVERYWHERE else) that structurally was about a 7.0-7.5 but it had a huge, faint blue bleed through stain (not color touch) on the inside front cover.  It was probably from the cyan plate on those deep purple cover inks.  Chuck said it was 8.0 but no, not even without the stain. (tsk)

The book cost $600 at the time, which was a lot for that book when I didn't know if it would grade over a 5.0 with the stain and I didn't know if it would confuse the grader and maybe grade out PLOD.   I sent it back to Mile High because the transfer stain made me wonder if the cover had been washed, but now I don't think so and I completely regret returning it.  

Action 242 is tough, but I've seen a few nice copies come up. The Mohawk Valley 8.0 sold a few years back (to a board member) for big money and another 8.0 shortly after. I was lucky enough to get this undergraded 7.0 for a $2900 eBay BIN about 5 years ago. It's nice. Adventure 210 is just as tough, though it's in that post-Gold, post-Code, pre-Showcase 4 dead zone that really doesn't fit any "age".

action 242.jpg

001 (371).jpg

On 11/3/2021 at 10:11 AM, FoggyNelson said:

This thread is like a true crime mystery novel😟😟😷

Or a Greek tragedy.  Chock full of hubris met with the ironic twist leading to the crushing downfall.  

Sophocles would be envious. 

On 11/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, october said:

Action 242 is tough, but I've seen a few nice copies come up. The Mohawk Valley 8.0 sold a few years back (to a board member) for big money and another 8.0 shortly after. I was lucky enough to get this undergraded 7.0 for a $2900 eBay BIN about 5 years ago. It's nice. Adventure 210 is just as tough, though it's in that post-Gold, post-Code, pre-Showcase 4 dead zone that really doesn't fit any "age".

action 242.jpg

001 (371).jpg

Jesus Christ man, you've been busy while I was gone!  (worship)

On 11/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, KCOComics said:

Is anyone else going to point out the irony of trying to uncover the secret identity of the hobbies most revered super villain, in a comic book forum? 

It's not complete until we get the villain monologue.