• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll, how should CGC grade tape on a comic?

How should tape be classified by CGC?  

591 members have voted

1. 1. How should tape be classified by CGC?

106 posts in this topic

Tape repairs, but does not restore. It should be downgraded for, but not given the PLOD.

This is my feeling as well. Putting GA books in plods because a 10-yr old boy stuck some preventative tape on his books in the mid-1940s, for example, feels a little draconian. But yes, nobody should ever get a grade bump for taping--vintage tape, new tape, whatever-tape.

Tape repairs, but does not restore. It should be downgraded for, but not given the PLOD.

I concur. Tape does not make something better. Tape keeps something from worsening. That's called "conservation" -- not "restoration". Punish the book for evidence of conservation via a lower blue label grade, and the market will acknowledge the non-desireability of the tape via a lower purchase price. But to categorize tape as something akin to color touch or a cover trim, for example, where you are trying to bring the book back to its former glory ... that would be overreaching.

I concur. Tape does not make something better. Tape keeps something from worsening. That's called "conservation" -- not "restoration". Punish the book for evidence of conservation via a lower blue label grade, and the market will acknowledge the non-desireability of the tape via a lower purchase price. But to categorize tape as something akin to color touch or a cover trim, for example, where you are trying to bring the book back to its former glory ... that would be overreaching.

There is a fine line between conservation and restoration...

Reattaching a cover is 'trying' to bring a book back to its former glory - a fulgy way (sorry Dr B) - but still trying to 'restore' a book.

Conservation in my opinion would be to protect the book in its current condition - i.e. slab it as is.

Non-archival tape is in no way conservation

AS a buyer of lower grade books , I have no issue with tape and prefer a taped cover to a detached cover.

But how do you think it should be treated by CGC?

It's not an issue of whether taped books are desirable or not but how CGC should be grading them in the opinions of people here.

Conservation in my opinion would be to protect the book in its current condition - i.e. slab it as is.

I do agree with that - but I will also say that the importance of paper conservancy varies from collector to collector. I don't find it all that important with the books I collect, so I opt for the condition that I prefer.

However, some collectors view conservation as very important, and would not like addition of tape whatsoever. And that's cool, too.

And, to go back on topic - I think CGC should downgrade for tape, but still keep it blue label.

Does CGC treat glue and tape the same way?

Seems that the intent of both materials can be the same (to seal tears to keep them from growing)...

if a book has tear seal glue does it get a purple label?

AS a buyer of lower grade books , I have no issue with tape and prefer a taped cover to a detached cover.

But how do you think it should be treated by CGC?

It's not an issue of whether taped books are desirable or not but how CGC should be grading them in the opinions of people here.

Sorry i sould have mentioned that. I voted for Restoration and blue label BUT I am also good with defect and downgraded. I dont think it should help the grade or have no effect.

Again, (since no one addressed it :sorry:)

In the past, some have made a distinction between conservation and restoration. What is wrong with including conservation in a green holder and restoration in a purple holder?

There are green label books with missing coupons and pages that will score higher in the registry than a purple label book that has a tear seal on it.

That doesn't make much sense to me.

Again, (since no one addressed it :sorry:)

In the past, some have made a distinction between conservation and restoration. What is wrong with including conservation in a green holder and restoration in a purple holder?

There are green label books with missing coupons and pages that will score higher in the registry than a purple label book that has a tear seal on it.

That doesn't make much sense to me.

I'd prefer the green label go away entirely...it never did make much sense to me.

I partially disagree. A small piece of transparent tape on the inside front cover of a book to tape up, say, an inch-long tear is meant to keep the tear from getting longer. That conserves the present condition.

Under some circumstances, however, the tape could be "repair", which is a piece that has fallen off and then you take a strip of tape and tape that fallen piece back on. Same concept with a cover that has come apart. Looks crappy but that's a repaired -- not restored -- book.

There should be a hard-and-fast CGC rule, however, which is that no book should rate higher than 4.0 if it has tape on it, regardless of how sharp-looking the book is. We see too many CGC books north of 6.0 that have tape (or glue). That, IMO, doesn't make sense.

here's the easy rule.

Add something to a book that was not there before?

PLOD.

the semantic war of conservation, restoration gets to far into the intent of the person doing the "work".

and trying to leave CGC to determine what was "new" work vs "old" work (i.e. a piece of tape put on by a kid in 1964 vs a piece of tape put on by a 47 year old speculator in 2012) is a job I dont know that they are best tasked for.

So just have the easy rule.

Add something to a book? Glue, Tape, Color Touch, Cleaning chemicals... Purple label.

I partially disagree. A small piece of transparent tape on the inside front cover of a book to tape up, say, an inch-long tear is meant to keep the tear from getting longer. That conserves the present condition.

Under some circumstances, however, the tape could be "repair", which is a piece that has fallen off and then you take a strip of tape and tape that fallen piece back on. Same concept with a cover that has come apart. Looks crappy but that's a repaired -- not restored -- book.

There should be a hard-and-fast CGC rule, however, which is that no book should rate higher than 4.0 if it has tape on it, regardless of how sharp-looking the book is. We see too many CGC books north of 6.0 that have tape (or glue). That, IMO, doesn't make sense.

maybe he meant that the act of introducing something destructive to paper, like non-archival tape, is not conserving the paper/document (but rather introducing a chance for staining by introducing the acidic adhesive), so it should not be called as such.

Non-archival tape damages books and should not be encouraged.

Use of archival tape could in certain cases preserve a comic book that is deteriorating.

I voted therefore for the taping to be ignored when grading a book.

If a key comic with a detached cover is bought, taped and then resubmitted and there was no change in grade then there would be no incentive to tape it with non-archival tape.