• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic buyer's guide vs Wizard

19 posts in this topic

For price lists... neither one is an accurate reflection of the market. Wizard prices are too high, while CBG prices are too low.

Wizard gets the scoops on upcoming projects, but CBG has better columns and articles from all over the spectrum of collecting. So I give it a slight edge over Wizard.

What publication do you preffer to check price list of the comics?

And for information about future plans?

I give each mag the following grades as based on the "Crapper" scale, i.e how many visits to the john with the magazine until you're finished with it(5 Crappies max or you'll be needing to see the doctor).

CBG - 3.5 Crappies - prices are low, but it helps when placing those low-ball bids.

Wizard - 2.5 Crappies - Pretty colors..some nice modern info...but too much hype.

I give each mag the following grades as based on the "Crapper" scale, i.e how many visits to the john with the magazine until you're finished with it(5 Crappies max or you'll be needing to see the doctor).

CBG - 3.5 Crappies - prices are low, but it helps when placing those low-ball bids.

Wizard - 2.5 Crappies - Pretty colors..some nice modern info...but too much hype.

27_laughing.gif

I give CBG a "4" based on all the reading available. In my opinion, it's a much better monthly than it was as a weekly. And I liked the weekly quite a bit.

I enjoy it more than Wizard....

Jim

I think I need to see the doctor. I'm still reading the OS from 2003...

So I give it a slight edge over Wizard.

I should kick you in the balls. sumo.gif

Woops, I totally mis-read your post. I thought you were giving props to Wizard. Sorry -- I retract my threatened ball-kicking. Your balls may rest easy...

So I give it a slight edge over Wizard.

I should kick you in the balls. sumo.gif

Woops, I totally mis-read your post. I thought you were giving props to Wizard. Sorry -- I retract my threatened ball-kicking. Your balls may rest easy...

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif that is great

For price lists... neither one is an accurate reflection of the market. Wizard prices are too high, while CBG prices are too low.

Wizard gets the scoops on upcoming projects, but CBG has better columns and articles from all over the spectrum of collecting. So I give it a slight edge over Wizard.

Yep......

Wizard is great for the 411 about new developments in comic titles, movies, games, toys, and a lot of other info on comics. The publishers seem to go out of their way to feed Wizard information, publish previews of new books or stories, and collaborate on special editions. Wizard's strength is definitely current events/hype and not comic collecting.

CBG serves a seemingly very different audience - principally collectors. You'll read a lot about the Golden, Silver, and Bronze ages, comic market prices, auctions, conventions other than Wizard World, etc. They also get a lot of perspectives from professionals in the comic retail and auction world.

In my opinion, CBG's price guide is as conservative as Wizard's is aggressive. Frankly, I think the only reliable information on comic prices is looking at the recent auction archives on Ebay or Heritage or using GPA Analysis. It's basically like looking at the last trade of a stock on the NASDAQ.

I agree with the comments on their respective price guides. I dont go by either of them, rather, try to follow price trends here, comiclink, ebay an dHeritage.

but I want to go on recoerd and admitting my surprise at the new CBG. I gave it little chance of succeeding in its new monthly format. But after 2 issues I feel its a better package of stuff. I still am uninterested in most of the articles reviews etc, all the things thay like to think are their strengths. But the weekly was getting thinner and thinner and less necessary each week. At least now its seems much more substantial.

I still think Wizard is more fun, and clever, and has its fingers on the pulse of modern comics in a way that CBG never will. That may in fact not be a compliment, but......

I highly recommend "Comics International" if you can get a copy you should pick it up.

It's a british mag that covers all things comics and as well as having interesting articals it's quite funny in a dry british way (the editorial's are a blast) plus it's only US$2.50 - so get one today !!!

I highly recommend "Comics International" if you can get a copy you should pick it up.

It's a british mag that covers all things comics and as well as having interesting articals it's quite funny in a dry british way (the editorial's are a blast) plus it's only US$2.50 - so get one today !!!

Where can we pick it up? Do they have a mail order service? Details? confused-smiley-013.gif

Where can we pick it up? Do they have a mail order service? Details? confused-smiley-013.gif

You can order it thru Diamond Comics Distributors Tel US 1-410 560 7112

Or maybe Previews.

You can contact them directly : comicsinternational@yahoo.co.uk or on 011 44 1273 566 222 The editor is called Dez Skinn (uk comic legend).

Hope this helps