• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phoenix Comic Con May 23-26

85 posts in this topic

Wife and I are about to head down for a crazy Saturday at the Con. They are expecting a huge crowd plus there is a Diamondbacks game tonight. Patience will be in order.

We have sold over 5 long boxes of dollar books alone, but have over 30 more so lots of great reading bargains. Also lots of nice Marvel and Dc books with discounts to Board members (a few have already benefited). Hope to do more deals with you all today.

Ed R

Got an INCREDIBLE deal from Mike's Rack today on some HEAVY METAL magazines. (worship)

I'm trying to blow out the small amount of comics I brought to the con. Anyone that buys comics and says they saw this post can get the comics for $0.25 a book. Don't mention this post any you pay $0.50 book. :baiting:

My first time at this convention...Today was crazy to say the least, but I loaded up on signed books and some killer sketches. Haven't been able to hit much of the dealer tables yet...that's what tomorrow is for. Lots of comic dealers and great artists though. Thoroughly enjoying this con.

Some of my sketch pickups...

Scott Blair

photo3-1_zpsc740dddb.jpg

Caanan White

photo1_zps9749460a.jpg

Jon Hughes

photo4-1_zps6319cb70.jpg

Billy Tucci

photo1-3_zps9b49a806.jpg

Got an INCREDIBLE deal from Mike's Rack today on some HEAVY METAL magazines. (worship)

I'm trying to blow out the small amount of comics I brought to the con. Anyone that buys comics and says they saw this post can get the comics for $0.25 a book. Don't mention this post any you pay $0.50 book. :baiting:

I'm always glad to help a boardie out, I don't usually give the 100% off "nice guy discount" but I guess it's ok because you are not so nice. ;)

I'm going to take some photos today and try to do a con report.

Great time this weekend. I bought fewer comics and OA than last year, but (IMO) better quality purchases (due in part to the great talent brought in as well as more focus on my part).

Also meet a few board members (including beer-thirty and mister_not_so_nice) & talked to a few I had previously met.

Glad to see this con growing!

Back home in ABQ. Got some great art pages and sketches for SS, didn't buy many comics but rarely do when I attend cons out of town. Met a few boardies which I hadn't previously met and saw some old friends.

Registration wasn't the nightmare that it has been in the past at PHX. Security and line volunteers were clueless at this though, the organizers really need to work on those two areas. 1 guy checking backs at the main entrance on Saturday is not ok!

All in all it was a successful trip with a great art pull.

Matt Wagner

IMG_0031.jpg

photo hosting sites

Matt Wagner

IMG_0035.jpg

image hosting site no sign up

EVS

IMG_0037.jpg

image hosting services

EVS

IMG_0039.jpg

image ru

EVS

IMG_0043.jpg

image hosting 15mb

Alex Sinclair after Jim Lee

IMG_0042.jpg

small screenshot utility

Dan Jurgens

IMG_0040.jpg

screenshot windows 8

Picked up another 10 sketches for boardies at the con but I will let them post those if they feel the need.

I think over all the con was well attended. They expanded the floor area a little from 2012, and increased aisle width too. It seemed there was more Cosplay than in 2012 and many of the costumes were in general more "realistic/professional" looking. Probably the same amount of dealers, but someone can certainly correct me on that. Artists alley was busy all days for the most part. Todd McFarlane showed up at Greg Capullo's booth around 2:00 Sunday and actually signed posters, etc. The line to get Capullo signatures was long, long, long Sunday morning.

I had already left, but understand that the con was evacuated around 4:00 pm. Someone purposely activated the fire alarm. I hope they draw and quarter the person(s) who did it, if this holds true. Well not really ... but what a jerk or jerks.

I was able to get some SS books, and a few sketch covers:

Jim Chung with Iron Patriot

CheungJim-IronPatriotinHand_zps59e74ab6.jpg

CheungJim-IronPatriotRaw_zpsd02f2d16.jpg

Stuart Sayger with Harley Quinn

SaygerStuart-HarleyQuinninHand_zps0525580f.jpg

SaygerStuart-HarleyQuinnRaw_zps46bd77b9.jpg

EVS sketch of Harley Quinn

VanSciverEthan-HarleyQuinnArkhamRaw_zpse6ff7c5a.jpg

Today was much more laid back due to the reduced crowd size from yesterday. Didn't really do much more than pickup a few sketches and get a few books signed....was more of a chill/look around day.

Highlight of the day was Todd McFarlane making an appearance at Capullo's booth...unfortunately I didn't have any books on me at the time, but got him to sign up a couple of backing boards. He was extremely nice, but you could tell he didn't want to do a whole lot of it though.

Lowlight of the day....the mass evacuation at 4:00 because of some "smoke in a room". Talk about ruining the mood. A good day regardless though.

Tom Hodges

null_zps6ee89328.jpg

Tom Hodges 2

null_zps8ac1cd07.jpg

Ming Doyle

null_zps4e26f381.jpg

Ben Templesmith

null_zps14ec48cb.jpg

Had Alex Sinclair put color to this Shannon Denton sketch from Saturday.

null_zpsae428959.jpg

null_zpscd2253a1.jpg

Im digging the Ming Doyle. Did you end up using the JL1 blanks at all?

Nope...going to hold onto that one...I've got a pretty good idea for it, just going to wait for the right artist. Thanks again, dude!

For sure man! I have only used one since SDCC last year. I haven't been in a hurry to use them up.

Gigi :cloud9: <3

Word to all. If you ever have Mario (Reptilekingdie) take a photograph of you, make sure he tells you in advance that he is taking the picture. Something like ... "say cheese," or "1 2 3 ..." You know, just a hint of some kind.

GiGiEdgleyPCC2013_zpsca266691.jpg