• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Batista is going to get the WWE audience to watch it

While I agree there is some cross over, Batista is really a non-entity right now in his 'comeback' on WWE. No pop from the crowd and comes over like a poor mans Rock.

That said...

He is (at this point) headlining Wrestlemania which I believe coincides with the GoTG movie releasing? (Correct me if I am wrong...no caffeine yet this morning).

Nope, Wrestlemania is April 6th, Guardians is in August, so basically 4 months before hand. However, the IWC (Internet Wrestling Community) is pretty convinced that Batista will take the belt at Mania and headline Summerslam (August 14th) at which point he will drop the title, hopefully to Danial Bryan. I'll see my nerdy out now....

Did we just become best friends?

Batista is going to get the WWE audience to watch it

While I agree there is some cross over, Batista is really a non-entity right now in his 'comeback' on WWE. No pop from the crowd and comes over like a poor mans Rock.

That said...

He is (at this point) headlining Wrestlemania which I believe coincides with the GoTG movie releasing? (Correct me if I am wrong...no caffeine yet this morning).

Nope, Wrestlemania is April 6th, Guardians is in August, so basically 4 months before hand. However, the IWC (Internet Wrestling Community) is pretty convinced that Batista will take the belt at Mania and headline Summerslam (August 14th) at which point he will drop the title, hopefully to Danial Bryan. I'll see my nerdy out now....

Did we just become best friends?

bestfranz.gif

which is funny because JCR is in GotG

I'm actually surprised at how poorly Bendis' writing is on this book.

Bendis writing poorly on a team book is actually one of the least surprising thing I have ever heard.

;)

Now that I reflect on that, his All New X-Men started out great, but really stalled out - thankfully, it started to pick up a bit with the new Trial of Jean Grey. So, I hope he gets his mess together on that crossover.

I dislike his GOTG as much as I loved the DnA run. "Blam! I killed you." may be the worst catch phrase ever.

DnA run on GOTG was great.

Bendis's run on GOTG is blecchh

"Blam I killed you" is a stupid, annoying catchphrase and Bendis is turning Rocket into a stupid, annoying character after DnA made him into a worthwhile one. Even Bendis's use of "Bendistalk" in most of his writing (which he has thankfully used less recently) wasn't as annoying as his Rocket dialogue.

I'm actually kind of excited for this movie. I just watched the trailer and It looks pretty decent. Then again, I'm not a huge GOTG fan, so my expectations were low to begin with.

Whenever I think of this though...

Bg0szyzCIAApFc1jpg_medium_zpscddb6990.jpg

I think of this...

ablab197f1_zps3731c6ad.jpg

I haven't read any of this generation of GOTG but I loved the original crew with Vance Astro, Yondu, Martinex & Charlie. This new group has just looked so lame to me but after seeing the trailer I actually think it might not suck. A talking tree & raccoon with a gun seemed like someone's drug fantasy of a team but I thought the trailer made them seem relatively fun. Guess we'll see in a few months.

the movie is going to be ridiculously big with kids and non-comic people. I prefer the more traditional heroic style comic movies, but they have absolutely nailed what mainstream audiences want with this.

the merchandising for the characters and related stuff will probably make even more than the movie. August is the perfect launch time for it to, it will open big and linger on a long time. If I were guessing numbers I'd say it ends up doing at least $500 mill, possibly pushing up towards thor 2 numbers.

Given the rumors that there wont be a guardians 2 in phase three, I could see them following it up with some disney channel more pg cartoon version, etc.

i would be very surprised if it doesn't do >$500mm WW; i was looking forward to this but the trailer has me concerned that Chris Pratt was horribly miscast. i cringed through the first 90 seconds of the trailer.

The trailer was a bit of a disappointment for me. It felt like more of a character featurette with a teaser thrown in at the end then a proper trailer.

I'm looking forward to seeing something more in the style of the Captain America 2 trailer, where it gives you the general gist of what's going to go down.

I can understand why they did it, though. There's obviously more to come. :banana:

DnA stuff was great.

I lost interest a bit though due to all the tie-ins. Secret Invasion kinda started it off, War of Kings, Realm of Kings...

I could not bring myself to try out Bendis GoG book. I just can't. Has it been explained ANYWHERE how Star-Lord is alive and Richard Rider is not???

There are so many good opportunities for other characters...I hope Vance Astro makes it into one of the films and meets Captain America at one point. That would be cool given the history.

As for the trailer, I did kind of feel the music was a tad off and it left me slightly underwhelmed but I am still psyched for this movie. Looking forward to the next trailer.

DnA stuff was great.

I lost interest a bit though due to all the tie-ins. Secret Invasion kinda started it off, War of Kings, Realm of Kings...

I could not bring myself to try out Bendis GoG book. I just can't. Has it been explained ANYWHERE how Star-Lord is alive and Richard Rider is not???

There are so many good opportunities for other characters...I hope Vance Astro makes it into one of the films and meets Captain America at one point. That would be cool given the history.

As for the trailer, I did kind of feel the music was a tad off and it left me slightly underwhelmed but I am still psyched for this movie. Looking forward to the next trailer.

The music was mildly annoying.

My initial guess before the trailer was $300 million worldwide and I'm sticking with it. But I think it's got potential to become a much bigger hit after the fact on DVD and On Demand. Marvel sequels - so far - have been bigger than the original. I could see $700-800 million for a sequel.

Still a long way out to guess though.

Personally loved it. For those who wonder about Groot or Rocket. Think Chewbacca and Yoda. On the face of it a big hairy character that looks like a walking dog or bigfoot and a small little green guy who could be Kermit. They are now icons. Now I just hope Nova is in part 2.

This is going to be huge with the general public beyond comics, heck even a lot of comic folk are not well versed in these characters. The first preview was genius to introduce them to the public in more of a feature then preview way. I have seen tons of comments on Facebook about people not thinking this was gonna be good or any idea who these characters are, then seeing the trailer and changing their mind.

The overall consensus being that this will be the first marvel movie where the general audience does not know what to expect, or what they want to see, like in more well known properties like avengers or x-men. Most people have no historical expectations and will be able to sit back and enjoy the ride!

I think Rocket will be a huge pop culture icon once the general public gets introduced to him. RR and groots image will be marketed on EVERYTHING!

Cheers!

Personally loved it. For those who wonder about Groot or Rocket. Think Chewbacca and Yoda. On the face of it a big hairy character that looks like a walking dog or bigfoot and a small little green guy who could be Kermit. They are now icons. Now I just hope Nova is in part 2.

I hope Nova's in the first one, let alone the sequel! The Nova Corps will be there so there's a chance. I agree, it's gotta be Rich. :wishluck:

I hope Nova's in the first one, let alone the sequel! The Nova Corps will be there so there's a chance. I agree, it's gotta be Rich. :wishluck:

They said Nova Prime is in this movie.

I don't know much about Nova, so I have no idea if that means something or not.