• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Just in case people missed my comment earlier, that graphic with all the Marvel film logos on it is FAKE. It was fan-made from someone on Reddit and was debunked quite some time ago.

A second point I saw addressed as well that needs clarification...Loki's staff was NOT a gem nor did it have a gem in it. We've only seen three of the Infinity Stones so far.

Peace,

Chip

yeah i didn't Loki's staff was a gem, more like those weapons that hyda used in cap1. out the three we seen what do we think they are. i think the one in GOTG is power.

Just saw it with my 8 yr old son. We both loved it!

And it really drove home what DC is missing from their movies...

FUN.

Who needs FUN when you can have a the perpetual constipated grimace that's popular in comic books today? :/

You know what we are going to get with 6 Infinity Stones? 6 identical plots. "MacGuffin of the month."

C'mon Marvel, challenge yourselves a little

what type of challenge you want them to take.

Just saw it in IMAX 3D. I was very impressed overall! It's definitely the best looking Marvel yet. The story was pretty good too, but I still think the Avengers was at least slightly better. I would give it an overall A-.

My only disappointment was their handling of the Nova Corps. I want to see flying bucketheads shooting energy blasts from their hands...

Also, did anyone else think that the voice of Thanos should have been deeper?

You know what we are going to get with 6 Infinity Stones? 6 identical plots. "MacGuffin of the month."

C'mon Marvel, challenge yourselves a little

what type of challenge you want them to take.

To avoid boilerplate, overused plots a sixth grader could have written

A movie with a tree and a raccoon wasn't a challenge?

Plot of First Avenger: bad guy wants cosmic cube to destroy the world, somebody has to stop him

Plot of Thor 2: bad guy wants Ether to destroy the universe, somebody has to stop him

Plot of GOTG: bad guy wants Orb to destroy Xandar (and then the galaxy?), somebody has to stop him

I liked these movies, (well at least Cap and GOTG) I just think we deserve some variety

How cool would it have been if the box Peter opened was an infinity stone (and the only one in the film)?

And a tree and a raccoon? Not particularly, Disney has been doing this for 75 years

Just saw it in IMAX 3D. I was very impressed overall! It's definitely the best looking Marvel yet. The story was pretty good too, but I still think the Avengers was at least slightly better. I would give it an overall A-.

My only disappointment was their handling of the Nova Corps. I want to see flying bucketheads shooting energy blasts from their hands...

Also, did anyone else think that the voice of Thanos should have been deeper?

the Nova Corps felt like rent a cops and Ronan couldn't defeat without the stones.

Couple o' Notes

4 - Rocket and Groot steal the show. Part of me wishes I had manned up and picked up a TTA13. Maybe prices will settle in a year or two for the copy I want.

I think a lot of people (myself included) are in the same boat :(

Aside from the 1st appearance thing - TTA 13 is a notoriously hard book to find in decent grade, and not a terribly common book to find at all. I'd been collecting Pre Code Monster books for years and didn't see them often even before the GotG stuff. I think there was some leveling off about 2 months ago for that book - but I think it took a big enough spike in value that it's not going to plummet, as lots of mainstream collectors are finding out the book is tough to find, and that will probably help it retain a lot of that hype value.

There's a great continuing thread in the Silver Age forum on PCM books and TTA 13.

Just the opposite I saw a TTA 13 on Ebay about a year ago and offered $150 for it (was in bad shape , intact but cover detached) , I was countered with $275 and since I had every 1st App of the main characters in GOTG i said yes and wondered if I could have just waited for the hype to die down but now I realize i am glad i said yes as I dont think I could get a copy for cheap anymore. I paid nothing for the rest of the books relatively speaking.

Plot of First Avenger: bad guy wants cosmic cube to destroy the world, somebody has to stop him

Plot of Thor 2: bad guy wants Ether to destroy the universe, somebody has to stop him

Plot of GOTG: bad guy wants Orb to destroy Xandar (and then the galaxy?), somebody has to stop him

I liked these movies, (well at least Cap and GOTG) I just think we deserve some variety

How cool would it have been if the box Peter opened was an infinity stone (and the only one in the film)?

And a tree and a raccoon? Not particularly, Disney has been doing this for 75 years

You've read these comics right? It's the underlying plot to just about every major galactic storyline. It's been satirized numerous times. (ala MIB: "There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!")

I'm agreeing with you in yes, they are all basically the same but the plot in all these movies is just a clown-car vehicle for introducing and showcasing the characters on a big screen and gaining acceptance. Could they have been more sophisticated, probably. Could the plot have been thicker with killer twists, sure. Would that have been too big an unnecessary risk in alienating or losing the audience, likely. So they focus more on developing the characters, comedic humor, special effects, and taking you on a fun ride while getting you to fall in love with the heroes. I liked it for what it was which is a hell of a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

I also agree Thanos voice and the face ripples were a bit weak compared with how I always imagined it with the bold darkened jagged lines around his speech bubbles and deep groves and ridges around his chin. His hands also don't match size with the rest of his body. His fingers are too bony and thin for his bulk. That infinity glove is likely to slip right off. But hey I'm just happy things are going so well for this Universe.

You've read these comics right? It's the underlying plot to just about every major galactic storyline. It's been satirized numerous times. (ala MIB: "There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!")

I'm agreeing with you in yes, they are all basically the same but the plot in all these movies is just a clown-car vehicle for introducing and showcasing the characters on a big screen and gaining acceptance. Could they have been more sophisticated, probably. Could the plot have been thicker with killer twists, sure. Would that have been too big an unnecessary risk in alienating or losing the audience, likely. So they focus more on developing the characters, comedic humor, special effects, and taking you on a fun ride while getting you to fall in love with the heroes. I liked it for what it was which is a hell of a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

I also agree Thanos voice and the face ripples were a bit weak compared with how I always imagined it with the bold darkened jagged lines around his speech bubbles and deep groves and ridges around his chin. His hands also don't match size with the rest of his body. His fingers are too bony and thin for his bulk. That infinity glove is likely to slip right off. But hey I'm just happy things are going so well for this Universe.

Additionally Marvel is assembling the components Thanos needs to make the Infinity Gauntlet: piece by piece in each movie. Therefore, since the story being told is about assembling the pieces each film will sound similar. ( They need to be similar or as a whole it won't make sense. )

3 gems have been introduced. The cosmic cube represents the mind gem (hence the reason he was able to control Hawkeye. The ether (from Thor 2) represents the power gem. GoTG introduced the space gem. Their current locations are as follows (Cosmic cube is in Asgard, the ether is with the collector (assuming it was not lost in the explosion, and the space gem is with Peter Quill). Loki's staff is not a gem. It is bestowed magical powers from Asgard as well as possibly having some residual power from housing the cosmic cube.

3 gems have been introduced. The cosmic cube represents the mind gem (hence the reason he was able to control Hawkeye. The ether (from Thor 2) represents the power gem. GoTG introduced the space gem. Their current locations are as follows (Cosmic cube is in Asgard, the ether is with the collector (assuming it was not lost in the explosion, and the space gem is with Peter Quill). Loki's staff is not a gem. It is bestowed magical powers from Asgard as well as possibly having some resigual power from housing the cosmic cube.

+1

Great post.

I didn't realize that - the colors of the items in the movies coincides with the actual colors of the infinity gems.

1086485-0lan.jpg

3 gems have been introduced. The cosmic cube represents the mind gem (hence the reason he was able to control Hawkeye. The ether (from Thor 2) represents the power gem. GoTG introduced the space gem. Their current locations are as follows (Cosmic cube is in Asgard, the ether is with the collector (assuming it was not lost in the explosion, and the space gem is with Peter Quill). Loki's staff is not a gem. It is bestowed magical powers from Asgard as well as possibly having some resigual power from housing the cosmic cube.

+1

Great post.

I didn't realize that - the colors of the items in the movies coincides with the actual colors of the infinity gems.

1086485-0lan.jpg

so were do we think the other gems be?

Honestly, when I saw the trailers for this I didn't know what to make of it. It looked like a cross between Green Lantern and Ice Pirates. The special effects looked cool but I couldn't see what everyone was so excited about (bear in mind I've never really read much of Marvel's cosmic characters). And the humor seemed to fall flat for me.

While the reviews here have been enthusiastic, there coming from comic fans who've been chomping at the bit for the last two years to see this. Nothing wrong with that but perhaps not the most objective opinions.

But this morning I finally heard the kind of review I've been looking for: a couple we're friends with had a date night last night. Didn't matter what the movie was, just something to get out of the house and have us-time away from the kids.

They're not comic book people, don't have the faintest clue who Thanos, Adam Warlock, Nova or even the Gurdians are. And they weren't especially impressed with the trailers either. But they were looking for light escapist entertainment and it seemed to fit the bill

They loved it. They said it was very funny and they laughed throughout the movie. The only reservation that they had personally is that some of the jokes were a bit adult in tone so they won't be taking their youngest daughter. Other than that, they thought it was great.

I don't know when I'll get a chance to see it - can't believe I still haven't seen Dawn of the POTA yet - but I think I will make a point of seeing it in the theatre after all.