• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I'm just curious; Marvel/Disney can't use Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer and so on because some other studio has the rights, then how does Ronan get used in this movie; didn't he first appear in The Fantastic Four just like the Silver Surfer. (Same goes for the cocoon too.)

I'm just curious; Marvel/Disney can't use Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer and so on because some other studio has the rights, then how does Ronan get used in this movie; didn't he first appear in The Fantastic Four just like the Silver Surfer. (Same goes for the cocoon too.)

Ronan became more associated with the Avengers. For example, although Kingpin was introduced in Amazing Spider-man, he became more of a supporting character for Daredevil so he went to Fox instead of Sony.

Now he is back at Marvel.

Ok I mentioned this a while back in one of the threads. The deal with News Corp basically gives Fox full access to the Main Characters of X-Men and Fantastic Four. They are also allowed to use any tnagentially connected character as well (such as the Silver Surfer) so long as they are FIRST to use it. So since Marvel was first to use Ronan, he's theres. That's also how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in Avengers. First to be used (in Cap) BUT they cannot be called mutants.

For everyone wondering if Warlock's cocoon was in the movie for sure, James Gunn confirms it here, along with some descriptions of other beings in the cages:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=105173

Well just confirming it's the prop we already knew it was; but there's no indication there are plans to introduce the character into the movies, at least not yet...

I predict a US gross north of $250K. Huge hit.

I agree. People are underestimating the movie, the cast and the director. Haters need to take a step back and stop trying to badmouth something they probably haven't even read.

Everyone b i t c h e s and moans that there aren't any original movies coming out of Hollywood anymore. Somebody saw Abnett and Lanning's GOTG series for what it was and obviously didn't have a hard time convincing others of the movie potential. If you haven't yet you should do yourself a favor and read it. It's probably the most original and entertaining series that Marvel has published since Warren Ellis took over the Thunderbolts.

This film will be unlike anything that people have seen and not only will it be original but it will be fun. When scripts went out and people signed on they weren't doing this as a "paycheck role". They signed on because it was unlike anything they had ever read. Just wait until the first trailer hits. Interest will begin to build and then eventually steamroll. I really feel this will be the next Star Wars.

Worldwide grosses for this film will easily surpass 800 Million Dollars and the sales of Quill, Rocket, Groot and company merchandise will only add to the Mouse's coffers. When the Guardians and the Avengers team up to battle Thanos onscreen we're going to see the culmination of everything Marvel set out to do back when Iron Man 1 was in production. At that time we'll also see "Avatar" fall as the biggest film of all-time.

The onscreen shared universe that Disney/Marvel has created isn't going to get stale anytime soon. These films are going to be ruling the box office for the next 50 years. The creativity that went into all of the books that we enjoyed in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's is now being brought to the masses and all of us need to sit back and enjoy what we've been dreaming of for decades. This is an exciting time for longtime fans of Marvel Comics.

:news: I dare say the peeps above had it right all along :applause: (for those keeping track this is from page 47 back in January)

Personally, I think it's the best film Marvel has released yet. And that's saying a lot - Avengers, Cap 2 and Iron Man are all exceptional. But this - this is everything a Saturday afternoon at the movies should be.

I expected it to be awesome and it was even better. It's got an outstanding soundtrack, a wonderful sense of humor and a lot of heart. This band of misfits, criminals and thugs did something few films do - and that was had me cheering like a little kid again. This is Star Wars for a new generation.

I agree. People are underestimating the movie, the cast and the director. Haters need to take a step back and stop trying to badmouth something they probably haven't even read.

Everyone b i t c h e s and moans that there aren't any original movies coming out of Hollywood anymore. Somebody saw Abnett and Lanning's GOTG series for what it was and obviously didn't have a hard time convincing others of the movie potential. If you haven't yet you should do yourself a favor and read it. It's probably the most original and entertaining series that Marvel has published since Warren Ellis took over the Thunderbolts.

This film will be unlike anything that people have seen and not only will it be original but it will be fun. When scripts went out and people signed on they weren't doing this as a "paycheck role". They signed on because it was unlike anything they had ever read. Just wait until the first trailer hits. Interest will begin to build and then eventually steamroll. I really feel this will be the next Star Wars.

Worldwide grosses for this film will easily surpass 800 Million Dollars and the sales of Quill, Rocket, Groot and company merchandise will only add to the Mouse's coffers. When the Guardians and the Avengers team up to battle Thanos onscreen we're going to see the culmination of everything Marvel set out to do back when Iron Man 1 was in production. At that time we'll also see "Avatar" fall as the biggest film of all-time.

The onscreen shared universe that Disney/Marvel has created isn't going to get stale anytime soon. These films are going to be ruling the box office for the next 50 years. The creativity that went into all of the books that we enjoyed in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's is now being brought to the masses and all of us need to sit back and enjoy what we've been dreaming of for decades. This is an exciting time for longtime fans of Marvel Comics.

:news: I dare say the peeps above had it right all along :applause: (for those keeping track this is from page 47 back in January)

Personally, I think it's the best film Marvel has released yet. And that's saying a lot - Avengers, Cap 2 and Iron Man are all exceptional. But this - this is everything a Saturday afternoon at the movies should be.

I expected it to be awesome and it was even better. It's got an outstanding soundtrack, a wonderful sense of humor and a lot of heart. This band of misfits, criminals and thugs did something few films do - and that was had me cheering like a little kid again. This is Star Wars for a new generation.

The movie did very well and was a fun movie to watch. Whether or not it makes north of $250 million domestically though, I'm not so sure. Captain America passed that number, but none of the other big movies this summer have. It has been a brutal year for movies starting out strong and then fading fast. The second weeks take will give us a better idea of how GOTG will hold up. I will say this though, out of all the movies I saw this summer, GOTG and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are the two movies that deserve to be sitting at the top of the box office.

As for GOTG being the next Star Wars, I don't think it is possible. I also remember hearing this when the Matrix movie came out and then again when Avatar came out. Star Wars came out at a time that was perfect for that movie to achieve what it did. There was no other movie like it and it didn't have to compete with countless movies like it for many, many years. Superhero movies, sci-fi movies, etc. have become commonplace. Star Wars truly did capture the imagination of an entire generation of kids and is mentioned countless times in pop culture (just off the top of my head: Defiance had a Star Wars reference just a few weeks ago, there were several Star Wars references on Weeds, Friends, Big Bang Theory, etc.) I'm not sure GOTG or any movie can ever be what Star Wars was because there is so much content for these movies to compete with. Like Spider-Man, Avengers, Frozen, etc. GOTG should have legs (I cannot wait to see which is the most popular character at Halloween, Groot or Rocket - my bet is on Groot), but its popularity will give way to something else in the next 6 months to a year.

Thoroughly enjoyed Guardians. I've been an Avengers fan for more than 40 years, so I'm partial to that movie. I was never a big Guardians fan, but I thought the movie did most things right.

I went with a friend who is not a comic geek. He also enjoyed it, but liked the Cap movies better.

It is what the last three Star Wars movies should have been: fun, good vs. evil and not taking things too seriously.

My only disappointment was the fate of Karina. I was hoping her appearance would lead to Korvac. Perhaps there was/will be a half-man, half-machine in the Collector's lair in the next movie. :wishluck:

The movie did very well and was a fun movie to watch. Whether or not it makes north of $250 million domestically though, I'm not so sure. Captain America passed that number, but none of the other big movies this summer have. It has been a brutal year for movies starting out strong and then fading fast. The second weeks take will give us a better idea of how GOTG will hold up. I will say this though, out of all the movies I saw this summer, GOTG and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are the two movies that deserve to be sitting at the top of the box office.

As for GOTG being the next Star Wars, I don't think it is possible. I also remember hearing this when the Matrix movie came out and then again when Avatar came out. Star Wars came out at a time that was perfect for that movie to achieve what it did. There was no other movie like it and it didn't have to compete with countless movies like it for many, many years. Superhero movies, sci-fi movies, etc. have become commonplace. Star Wars truly did capture the imagination of an entire generation of kids and is mentioned countless times in pop culture (just off the top of my head: Defiance had a Star Wars reference just a few weeks ago, there were several Star Wars references on Weeds, Friends, Big Bang Theory, etc.) I'm not sure GOTG or any movie can ever be what Star Wars was because there is so much content for these movies to compete with. Like Spider-Man, Avengers, Frozen, etc. GOTG should have legs (I cannot wait to see which is the most popular character at Halloween, Groot or Rocket - my bet is on Groot), but its popularity will give way to something else in the next 6 months to a year.

I'd also add that times are different now from when Star Wars first came out. Where I lived, it played in the theater for 3 months. Now a days a movie is almost finished by the end of the third week.

Ok I mentioned this a while back in one of the threads. The deal with News Corp basically gives Fox full access to the Main Characters of X-Men and Fantastic Four. They are also allowed to use any tnagentially connected character as well (such as the Silver Surfer) so long as they are FIRST to use it. So since Marvel was first to use Ronan, he's theres. That's also how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in Avengers. First to be used (in Cap) BUT they cannot be called mutants.

Would someone please utilize Uatu The Watcher?

I'd also add that times are different now from when Star Wars first came out. Where I lived, it played in the theater for 3 months. Now a days a movie is almost finished by the end of the third week.

Just 3 months. I remember seeing Star Wars a year after it first came out. Definitely a different time.

Another difference is everyone who wanted to see Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend had a chance to see it because it was released at 4000+ theaters. I remember when Star Wars came out, the theaters were packed and you had to wait for a showing that wasn't packed. I hear that here in Phoenix, there were lines around the block at the Cine Capri for that movie.

If Star Wars came out today, it wouldn't be as popular as it was when it did come out and there definitely wouldn't be the nostalgia that people have for it. People would have seen it at the movies, rented it or bought it a few months later, and it would have faded just like many good movies do these days.

Most movies stayed in the theater for months, sometimes years. Then moved to the dollar theaters. It would be 3-5 years before it made it to Beta/VHS. They also didn't pump the movie out quite as quickly back then. Ah, the good old days.

Don't get me started on music

Most movies stayed in the theater for months, sometimes years. Then moved to the dollar theaters. It would be 3-5 years before it made it to Beta/VHS. They also didn't pump the movie out quite as quickly back then. Ah, the good old days.

Don't get me started on music

There were a few of us in the Water Cooler talking about rentals back then. Since Beta System wasn't available until 1975, and VHS until 1976-1977, studios had other methods which then showed up as rental revenue.

Four Wall Distribution

Either the studio or even an organization like a school could contract to show a movie as long as it was in the confines of a set building. It then was considered 'rented' and claimed as such with revenue totals. I saw a few movies like this as a kid, and it was at least six months to a year after a movie was released.

good-old-days.jpg

James Gunn on the Infinity Gems and The Collector's museum

I'm going with spoilers on this one, as that's how I roll.

:cool:

------------------------

After the Mad Titan Thanos (Josh Brolin) makes a brief appearance, Guardians of the Galaxy reveals another big connection to the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe at the beginning of its second act. When Star-Lord, Gamora, Rocket, and Groot visit The Collector (Benicio Del Toro) inside his Easter egg-filled museum, they find out not only the true power of the Orb they possess, but also that the gem is one of six highly-coveted Infinity Stones. While two of the gems have already been showcased in Marvel Studios' previous movies (the Tesseract in The Avengers and the Aether in Thor: The Dark World), none of Earth's mightiest heroes are yet aware of the great danger that will come if/when a certain someone was to collect all six stones and form a certain guantlet.

------------------------

And on all the hints and hidden items on display in the different cells.

------------------------

Anyhow, back to The Collector, aka Taneleer Tivan, James Gunn also revealed to that he had the most fun on Guardians of the Galaxy doing the scenes involving the character's museum, which featured Cosmo the space dog and, of course, Howard the Duck. "I was a big Howard the Duck fan when I was a kid; the comics, not the movie," he told Speakeasy. Meanwhile, the director also acknowledged that a Chitauri and a Dark Elf are also in The Collector's collection. When Slash Film asked if all these things are teases for the future, James Gunn said, "Yeah, I mean, there’s a lot of stuff in the Collector’s Museum. And for me, it was mostly just really fun. As a Marvel fan, giving the actual fans something that they can freeze frame on their Blu-Ray at home and just kind of pick out everything that’s in there. So there are, I mean, seriously all those boxes have something interesting in them, so it’s pretty fun." Also,Kevin Feige reveals there is also a reference to James Gunn's Slither movie inside the Collector's museum, which many haven't noticed.

------------------------

Come on, Blu-Ray!

:whee: