• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

The movie did very well and was a fun movie to watch. Whether or not it makes north of $250 million domestically though, I'm not so sure. Captain America passed that number, but none of the other big movies this summer have. It has been a brutal year for movies starting out strong and then fading fast. The second weeks take will give us a better idea of how GOTG will hold up. I will say this though, out of all the movies I saw this summer, GOTG and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are the two movies that deserve to be sitting at the top of the box office.

Captain America 2 has had the highest domestic box office results so far. But it is X-Men: DofFP that has had the highest worldwide box office for comic book movies.

dgPbmqS.png

It is the movie that has come closest to $750 MM worldwide. And every time I think it has slowed down, the international numbers jump up and surprise me.

And from all the reviews external and internal to this forum, GotG seems to have the power to be top of the heap. But then we have to look at the road ahead.

August 8, 2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

August 15, 2014: The Expendables 3

August 22, 2014: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

September 26, 2014: The Boxtrolls

October 19, 2014: The Judge (Robert Downey JR movie)

October 17, 2014: Dracula Untold

October 17, 2014: Kingsman: The Secret Service

November 7, 2014: Big Hero 6

November 15, 2014: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

December 12, 2014: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

There are a couple of potential box office distractors. But nothing that matches a superbly delivered space opera. So we will see what comes together in the weeks ahead.

:popcorn:

I predict a US gross north of $250K. Huge hit.

I agree. People are underestimating the movie, the cast and the director. Haters need to take a step back and stop trying to badmouth something they probably haven't even read.

Everyone b i t c h e s and moans that there aren't any original movies coming out of Hollywood anymore. Somebody saw Abnett and Lanning's GOTG series for what it was and obviously didn't have a hard time convincing others of the movie potential. If you haven't yet you should do yourself a favor and read it. It's probably the most original and entertaining series that Marvel has published since Warren Ellis took over the Thunderbolts.

This film will be unlike anything that people have seen and not only will it be original but it will be fun. When scripts went out and people signed on they weren't doing this as a "paycheck role". They signed on because it was unlike anything they had ever read. Just wait until the first trailer hits. Interest will begin to build and then eventually steamroll. I really feel this will be the next Star Wars.

Worldwide grosses for this film will easily surpass 800 Million Dollars and the sales of Quill, Rocket, Groot and company merchandise will only add to the Mouse's coffers. When the Guardians and the Avengers team up to battle Thanos onscreen we're going to see the culmination of everything Marvel set out to do back when Iron Man 1 was in production. At that time we'll also see "Avatar" fall as the biggest film of all-time.

The onscreen shared universe that Disney/Marvel has created isn't going to get stale anytime soon. These films are going to be ruling the box office for the next 50 years. The creativity that went into all of the books that we enjoyed in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's is now being brought to the masses and all of us need to sit back and enjoy what we've been dreaming of for decades. This is an exciting time for longtime fans of Marvel Comics.

:news: I dare say the peeps above had it right all along :applause: (for those keeping track this is from page 47 back in January)

Personally, I think it's the best film Marvel has released yet. And that's saying a lot - Avengers, Cap 2 and Iron Man are all exceptional. But this - this is everything a Saturday afternoon at the movies should be.

I expected it to be awesome and it was even better. It's got an outstanding soundtrack, a wonderful sense of humor and a lot of heart. This band of misfits, criminals and thugs did something few films do - and that was had me cheering like a little kid again. This is Star Wars for a new generation.

The movie did very well and was a fun movie to watch. Whether or not it makes north of $250 million domestically though, I'm not so sure. Captain America passed that number, but none of the other big movies this summer have. It has been a brutal year for movies starting out strong and then fading fast. The second weeks take will give us a better idea of how GOTG will hold up. I will say this though, out of all the movies I saw this summer, GOTG and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are the two movies that deserve to be sitting at the top of the box office.

As for GOTG being the next Star Wars, I don't think it is possible. I also remember hearing this when the Matrix movie came out and then again when Avatar came out. Star Wars came out at a time that was perfect for that movie to achieve what it did. There was no other movie like it and it didn't have to compete with countless movies like it for many, many years. Superhero movies, sci-fi movies, etc. have become commonplace. Star Wars truly did capture the imagination of an entire generation of kids and is mentioned countless times in pop culture (just off the top of my head: Defiance had a Star Wars reference just a few weeks ago, there were several Star Wars references on Weeds, Friends, Big Bang Theory, etc.) I'm not sure GOTG or any movie can ever be what Star Wars was because there is so much content for these movies to compete with. Like Spider-Man, Avengers, Frozen, etc. GOTG should have legs (I cannot wait to see which is the most popular character at Halloween, Groot or Rocket - my bet is on Groot), but its popularity will give way to something else in the next 6 months to a year.

I'd also add that times are different now from when Star Wars first came out. Where I lived, it played in the theater for 3 months. Now a days a movie is almost finished by the end of the third week.

Just 3 months. I remember seeing Star Wars a year after it first came out. Definitely a different time.

Another difference is everyone who wanted to see Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend had a chance to see it because it was released at 4000+ theaters. I remember when Star Wars came out, the theaters were packed and you had to wait for a showing that wasn't packed. I hear that here in Phoenix, there were lines around the block at the Cine Capri for that movie.

If Star Wars came out today, it wouldn't be as popular as it was when it did come out and there definitely wouldn't be the nostalgia that people have for it. People would have seen it at the movies, rented it or bought it a few months later, and it would have faded just like many good movies do these days.

We saw it Sunday as a family.

Monday my wife and kids talked about it all morning. My 15 year old daughter said "great songs" cannot wait for the sound track to come out. It had a huge impact on them...enough that they started reading the Thanos Quest. Cool stuff from Marvel.

Collector's cocoon content confirmed (CCCC)

That's according to a podcast for Empire Magazine, where Guardians director James Gunn mentioned it -- along with other items in the collection (the most obvious being Howard the Duck and Cosmo).

"There are the slither creature from my movie Slither behind The Collector, those guys are pretty obvious. You have Adam Warlock's cocoon, you have all sorts of other characters from Marvel movies."

And since we've heard from more than one person that they're pretty sure the cocoon was open and empty after the Infinity Gem laid the Collector's lair to waste...

:whee:

And now we know who the voice was in the end credits scene.

Guardians Of The Galaxy After The Credits: Voice Of Spoiler Character Revealed

In the Guardians of the Galaxy after the credits scene, The Collector is shown battered and bruised in the remains of his destroyed museum. Cosmo the Dog licks The Collector’s face, and Howard the Duck asks, “What do you let him lick you like that for? Gross.”

There has been much speculation about who was the voice of Howard the Duck. Many rumors have suggested it was Nathan Fillion, but Fillion’s cameo is actually earlier in the film during the prison scene.

According to Ain’t It Cool News, director James Gunn revealed to them that Howard the Duck is actually voiced by none other than Seth Green, who is known for his voice work in Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Phineas and Ferb, and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.

That LA Times review was simply one done by someone who's mind cannot fathom how a larger (Marvel) universe is now able to exist. He spoke about major plot reveals within single movies, and isn't able to comprehend that in 15 years or so we'll be able to look back at ALL these Marvel movies and put together all the plot points that likely put single great movies (the ones he cites) almost to shame. There is good work being done here!

Bosco- you still haven't seen the movie?

Not yet. I didn't want to go with 7 year olds if there was going to be any cursing or death. So I have to hold off for now.

Not to descend too far into old fogeyism, but I'm still surprised at how few people share this sentiment. There have been a number of people in this thread saying they brought their single-digit aged kids or relations to this movie despite the d*ck jokes, impalements, and so on.

I loved the movie, but there is no way my kids -- the youngest is now 19 -- would have seen it before they were 12 or 13.

No movie aimed at a family audience would have had this type of material a few years ago. We have crossed a threshold and it surprises me that so few people -- including movie critics -- seem to consider it worth commenting on.

I know people say it's up to parents to make a decision about whether a particular movie is suitable for their kids. But parents could use a little help in two ways:

1. You could find out the details of what's in the movie before taking your kids to see it, but the rating system was supposed to take care of that. It doesn't, though, because the amount of coarse language, off-color jokes, and violence allowed in each rating is gradually increasing over time. Anyone remember when Disney was upset when the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie received a PG-13 rating rather than a PG rating? Clearly the ratings -- and Disney's concerns about producing family-appropriate films -- have changed mightily since then.

2. If you can't take kids to a movie like this, what can you take them to? The only choice at our local theater would be that awful Planes movie. As a practical matter, if Disney and the other studios are going to include this type of material in movies that are clearly aimed (in part) at family audiences, little kids will be exposed to it. There were a lot of small children in the theater when I saw it Saturday afternoon.

Just a rant. Carry on!

Part of me agrees with you, and another part really disagree with you. An example:

How old were you when you saw Empire? That film is PG and I might argue it is more graphic then Guardians ever was. The reason I say that: we see a bloody arm cut off right at the beginning then an arm cut off again at the end. It isn't as graphic. We also see a body decapitated although who the heck knows was Luke cut off in that cave…

Jaws, where you see parts of bodies dismembered, was only a PG movie. I remember that movie terrifying me as a child.

Jurassic Park was also fairly violent and we see blood and parts of people's bodies bitten off. It was PG 13.

My point, I think the violence in Guardians was pretty tame. A few parts really surprised me how they pushed it, but there wasn't bloody body parts being dismembered or removed.

The biggest issue, it might be the language that pushes it. I was surprised with some of it, and, as usual, it was sort of unnecessary.

I think todays viewing audience has gotten so overly sensitive to things in films. I have the discussion with my sister all the time. She gives me a hard time about what my son watches. He watches a lot of films and largely because of my 9 year old. It is hard on family movie night not to pick a film that appeals to everyone.

And there in lies my big issue. as kids, we used to go to the beach with my dad. He would rent some very inappropriate films for us to watch. It was probably because of how difficult it was to find films for kids that were 4 to 5 years apart.

The big difference though, we watched them as a family. Kids become desensitized to violence when they sit alone in a house watching endlessly violent films and playing endlessly violent video games.

Sorry rantrant and my 2c

Just 3 months. I remember seeing Star Wars a year after it first came out. Definitely a different time.

Another difference is everyone who wanted to see Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend had a chance to see it because it was released at 4000+ theaters. I remember when Star Wars came out, the theaters were packed and you had to wait for a showing that wasn't packed. I hear that here in Phoenix, there were lines around the block at the Cine Capri for that movie.

If Star Wars came out today, it wouldn't be as popular as it was when it did come out and there definitely wouldn't be the nostalgia that people have for it. People would have seen it at the movies, rented it or bought it a few months later, and it would have faded just like many good movies do these days.

I think the point above is exactly why it is released on 4000+ screens, not to mention 3D and IMAX increasing the number.

The industry got smart ... people don't want to wait in lines, so take that away by adding screens. I understand what you're driving at ... anticipation and anxiousness leads people to wait in line.

But, you could actually argue that more screens means more revenue because no one is turned off by lines to get in.

I think it will have a long first run, a long second run and will be the No. 1 movie of the summer in DVD sales. Imagine the Christmas DVD sales! It will still be in second run, too.

We saw it Sunday as a family.

Monday my wife and kids talked about it all morning. My 15 year old daughter said "great songs" cannot wait for the sound track to come out. It had a huge impact on them...enough that they started reading the Thanos Quest. Cool stuff from Marvel.

I was driving home yesterday and at the light someone was playing 'Come and Get Your Love.' Now wondering if that is more than just a coincidence. I remember when I was a kid, we 'discovered' Bohemian Rhapsody after Wayne's World.

Captain America 2 has had the highest domestic box office results so far. But it is X-Men: DofFP that has had the highest worldwide box office for comic book movies.

dgPbmqS.png

It is the movie that has come closest to $750 MM worldwide. And every time I think it has slowed down, the international numbers jump up and surprise me.

And from all the reviews external and internal to this forum, GotG seems to have the power to be top of the heap. But then we have to look at the road ahead.

August 8, 2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

August 15, 2014: The Expendables 3

August 22, 2014: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

September 26, 2014: The Boxtrolls

October 19, 2014: The Judge (Robert Downey JR movie)

October 17, 2014: Dracula Untold

October 17, 2014: Kingsman: The Secret Service

November 7, 2014: Big Hero 6

November 15, 2014: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

December 12, 2014: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

There are a couple of potential box office distractors. But nothing that matches a superbly delivered space opera. So we will see what comes together in the weeks ahead.

:popcorn:

The biggest distractor of them all... school.

I saw it on Sunday, my daughters and wife didn't want to go with me. I am going to see it with my brother from another mother while we are in Chicago for WW. I liked it, but I would have liked someone else to play Thanos. Someone with an iconic voice along the lines of James Earl Jones.... :)