• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I don't think the non-comic-reading public is going to embrace this.

I disagree to some extent, however, I think the $800,000 worldwide ticket sales number someone threw out earlier is way too optimistic. Thor only did $450 million worldwide, and Thor 2 brought in $639 mil, which was an impressive increase for the franchise, but that had a lot to do with the popularity of the Avengers. With no immediate tie-ins to the Avengers, this movie would do well to hit $350-$400 million worldwide, but will probably do closer to the $263 million of the 2008 Hulk film. I don't like the fact that it opens so late into the summer, so I think that's another headwind it will have to face.

I think we are far enough along in the Marvel movie cycle for them to do something like this; use B and C level character (and actor) talent and get enough people to come watch it because it has something to do with Marvel/Avengers continuity. You can't bank on Avengers forever, especially when actors like Robert Downey are commanding tens of millions of dollars per film.

If the storyline line is palatable, the CGI looks slick enough (it does from the trailer), and the general audience is entertained, it should be a moderate win for Marvel.

I disagree to some extent, however, I think the $800,000 worldwide ticket sales number someone threw out earlier is way too optimistic. Thor only did $450 million worldwide, and Thor 2 brought in $639 mil, which was an impressive increase for the franchise, but that had a lot to do with the popularity of the Avengers. With no immediate tie-ins to the Avengers, this movie would do well to hit $350-$400 million worldwide, but will probably do closer to the $263 million of the 2008 Hulk film. I don't like the fact that it opens so late into the summer, so I think that's another headwind it will have to face.

I think we are far enough along in the Marvel movie cycle for them to do something like this; use B and C level character (and actor) talent and get enough people to come watch it because it has something to do with Marvel/Avengers continuity. You can't bank on Avengers forever, especially when actors like Robert Downey are commanding tens of millions of dollars per film.

If the storyline line is palatable, the CGI looks slick enough (it does from the trailer), and the general audience is entertained, it should be a moderate win for Marvel.

It's presenting itself as a comedy, and there's not one laugh-out-loud moment in the trailer. There's no draw for the general public.

Thor had action for the male audience, and Hemsworth for their dates.

hm. The first 6 people that shared the trailer on my facebook were non-comic people.

I just asked a co-worker if he saw the trailer and before I could finish asking, he replied 'yep.' He isn't a comic person at all. He will be seeing it w/ his wife.

That was terrible, adult swim style humor and doesn't set good hopes for me. I do think the movie and characters looked good visually however, and I was very disappointed we didnt see any of Lee Pace's Ronan who I have high hopes for.

However, I am also not super familiar with this cast to know if Star Lord is actually supposed to be that irritating. If GotG fans here could direct me to what run this particular lineup of guardians (if its even based on a canon team) exists in id be very appreciative!

I believe it is loosely based on the 2008 series written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning.

+1

I heard that as well, which is why I am excited to see it. The 2008 should be required reading for fans - it's a pretty awesome run, and the best part: it's fun. And that is something that comics are sorely missing right now: fun, action/adventure. I think GotG is trying to capture that on film. I thought the trailer was great and I'm actually excited over the fact it's busting out of the typical superhero-genre film.

Wasn't impressed. I think I may have even rolled my eyes a few times.

And I'm trying to think of a song I hate worse than that one, but nothing is coming to mind.

Hopefully Marvel will do better with the next Avengers movie.

Yup. I like Pratt, he does funny pretty well. This flick though, meh....I'll wait for video.

It's presenting itself as a comedy, and there's not one laugh-out-loud moment in the trailer. There's no draw for the general public.

Again, we disagree. :foryou:

Keep in mind, we aren't talking about Shakespeare here, but just an entertaining summer, popcorn flick. All you need to do is build enough interest to get a good first weekend, and make enough people feel they got their money's worth for it to get good word of mouth. As long as the studio supports the movie with commercials and tv spots (and they will!), its going to do well enough riding on the back of the brand. I bet if you take 10 average movie goers that would normally watch a super hero/sci-fi flick and ask them if they would go see the movie based on the trailer alone, 6 would say yes. That's all Marvel is shooting for.

I'm still of the opinion that John Carter would've been a decent summer popcorn film if 1). it was actually released in the summer and 2). the studio didn't position themselves a year ahead of time for it to be a massive bust/write-off. How the studio promotes the film is as important as the film itself.

Batista is going to get the WWE audience to watch it

I agree. I think it was great to cast him as Drax for that very reason. He wasn't bad in Riddick. He won't win any academy awards, but he's good as the "huge enforcer guy with limited dialogue".

hm. The first 6 people that shared the trailer on my facebook were non-comic people.

I just asked a co-worker if he saw the trailer and before I could finish asking, he replied 'yep.' He isn't a comic person at all. He will be seeing it w/ his wife.

Exactly. That's everyone I come across there days. These movies have definitely gotten over the hump.

Exactly. That's everyone I come across there days. These movies have definitely gotten over the hump.

I'm predicting disappointment for Marvel. I don't have much basis with which to make this prediction, I just think a flop is inevitable. Not every super hero movie is going to be a huge success. They're reaching with this flick.

That was terrible, adult swim style humor and doesn't set good hopes for me. I do think the movie and characters looked good visually however, and I was very disappointed we didnt see any of Lee Pace's Ronan who I have high hopes for.

However, I am also not super familiar with this cast to know if Star Lord is actually supposed to be that irritating. If GotG fans here could direct me to what run this particular lineup of guardians (if its even based on a canon team) exists in id be very appreciative!

I believe it is loosely based on the 2008 series written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning.

+1

I heard that as well, which is why I am excited to see it. The 2008 should be required reading for fans - it's a pretty awesome run, and the best part: it's fun. And that is something that comics are sorely missing right now: fun, action/adventure. I think GotG is trying to capture that on film. I thought the trailer was great and I'm actually excited over the fact it's busting out of the typical superhero-genre film.

I can't believe Marvel has wasted this opportunity to have this series already reprinted.

The Tpbs and HCs from this run are out of print as of right now (aka super inflated eBay/Amazon prices)

The single issues are even worse.

There is a planned HC complete collection but that isn't until July/August (right before the movie.)

I hope this changes quickly.

There is nothing on the normal LCS shelf that will directly relate to this film. The current run is decent but doesn't feel the same. Although the newest GotG point now issue does include the digital version of the vol 1 tpb for this newest marvel now run.

Again, we disagree. :foryou:

Keep in mind, we aren't talking about Shakespeare here, but just an entertaining summer, popcorn flick. All you need to do is build enough interest to get a good first weekend, and make enough people feel they got their money's worth for it to get good word of mouth. As long as the studio supports the movie with commercials and tv spots (and they will!), its going to do well enough riding on the back of the brand. I bet if you take 10 average movie goers that would normally watch a super hero/sci-fi flick and ask them if they would go see the movie based on the trailer alone, 6 would say yes. That's all Marvel is shooting for.

I'm still of the opinion that John Carter would've been a decent summer popcorn film if 1). it was actually released in the summer and 2). the studio didn't position themselves a year ahead of time for it to be a massive bust/write-off. How the studio promotes the film is as important as the film itself.

I agree with you about John Carter. The studio dropped the ball promoting that film the way that they did(or didn't).

But this trailer doesn't know who it's trying to appeal to. It certainly doesn't have the structure and pacing of an action film trailer. It just kind of lumbers along from one "humorous" scenario to the next, and the jokes fall flat. From a 2 hour film, the best they could offer us in the trailer is the middle finger joke and the headphone joke?

No eye candy for men or women, no epic tone(which Marvel trailers usually do very successfully), no great action scenes, and humor that falls flat. What's the draw for the general public?

I can't believe some of the negativity about this...

Can't judge a film solely on a 2 minute trailer, but from the first 2 mins anyone has seen, is pretty faithful to the original source material.

That trailer is pretty much, exactly what any fan of the DnA run on GOTG, would hope to see.

Obviously, with some Cosmo mixed in. :)

I don't know if anyone is judging the film at all. It sounded like people were judging just the trailer. (shrug)

I am no GOTG expert and never really followed their story line, but I had the impression that they were supposed to be more heroic and less psychologically challenged. I was expecting a group of badass good guys and not a motley crew of misfits. They look more like Rejects of the Galaxy than Guardians.

Wasn't impressed. I think I may have even rolled my eyes a few times.

And I'm trying to think of a song I hate worse than that one, but nothing is coming to mind.

Hopefully Marvel will do better with the next Avengers movie.

This would have been worse...