• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

The trailer has a cheesy b-film feel to it. Hopefully I am wrong and my opinion will change as more footage is released.

James Gunn did write Tromeo and Juliet. (shrug)

Looks good to me. All of the Marvel movies have had stupid humor and jokes that make you roll your eyes and considering that this movie involves a talking raccoon and tree its probably best that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

TOTALLY agree, especially with not taking itself too seriously.

Not massively familiar with GoTG having never read it, but I loved that. Getting more than a little Firefly vibe from it with the sarcasm and self-parody; is that the same with Abnett's series?

Yeah, that's a pretty close vibe in terms of character interaction. Serious storytelling with interpersonal backstories and fun dialogue.

The trailer has a cheesy b-film feel to it. Hopefully I am wrong and my opinion will change as more footage is released.

Now THAT was a movie. ^^

I showed it to some people at work who, while they have enjoyed the Marvel movies in the past, are absolutely NOT comic readers and have never heard of GOTG. They thought it looked "fun."

The word I'd use is "accessible"... which is a really smart way for Marvel to have played this, at least for a first teaser. Let's face it, there are lot of comic book fans (present company included) who don't know much more about GOTG than who the characters are... so by starting out with this "lineup" and showing off some humor and you're most recognizable face, it's a smart move.

So I'm not sure what it says about the movie itself, but it tells me that they at least have figured out an intelligent way to try to sell this movie to the public in general.

So color me optimistic!

Now THAT was a movie. ^^

:headbang:

tumblr_mjrygq7r441qeqtqlo1_500.png

the movie is going to be ridiculously big with kids and non-comic people. I prefer the more traditional heroic style comic movies, but they have absolutely nailed what mainstream audiences want with this.

the merchandising for the characters and related stuff will probably make even more than the movie. August is the perfect launch time for it to, it will open big and linger on a long time. If I were guessing numbers I'd say it ends up doing at least $500 mill, possibly pushing up towards thor 2 numbers.

Given the rumors that there wont be a guardians 2 in phase three, I could see them following it up with some disney channel more pg cartoon version, etc.

I'm actually surprised at how poorly Bendis' writing is on this book.

Bendis writing poorly on a team book is actually one of the least surprising thing I have ever heard.

;)

Now that I reflect on that, his All New X-Men started out great, but really stalled out - thankfully, it started to pick up a bit with the new Trial of Jean Grey. So, I hope he gets his mess together on that crossover.

Bendis writing poorly on a team book is actually one of the least surprising thing I have ever heard.

;)

Now that I reflect on that, his All New X-Men started out great, but really stalled out - thankfully, it started to pick up a bit with the new Trial of Jean Grey. So, I hope he gets his mess together on that crossover.

I dislike his GOTG as much as I loved the DnA run. "Blam! I killed you." may be the worst catch phrase ever.

;)

I dislike his GOTG as much as I loved the DnA run. "Blam! I killed you." may be the worst catch phrase ever.

Ugh. No kidding. I think they actually joked about that being a horrible catch phrase in one of the recent issues.