• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MegaCon March 21-23, 2014

312 posts in this topic

If the Convention Center staff that was there the last time we were on that side is still running the show, I will be very disappointed. They were obnoxious, ridiculous and ignorant. (Ex: They told dealers that we had 15 minutes at the dock to unload. Try doing that with 2 tons of comic books. They also allowed dealers to cut in line in the move in line and really ticked off a lot of folk.) Beth admitted that the Megacon people had fits with them. I told her I hoped we'd never have to be over there again, but here we are. With as many people as Megacon draws, I'm not sure it matters about the placement of our booths, other than possible lighting problems or, as before they expanded the aisles the congregation of the non-buying teenie cosplaying crowd massing in front of a booth so comic customers couldn't get to it. None of this really matters in the long run, because it is the best show I do all year.

Just a note for those of you who haven't booked a room yet. I got into the Hyatt Place for under $100 a night, as a Priceline Express Deal. Its literally a block or two away from the South Concourse on Universal Blvd., and offers free parking, free wifi, and a free breakfast. Considering there are three of us and we are driving, the savings in food and parking should tally $30 or so a day. Its also exceptionally rated (100% recommended on Travelocity), so you know it'll be clean, comfortable, and free of surprises.

I grew weary of doing the "Name your Own Price" thing on Priceline when we got the Rosen last year for $65. Sure, the price was good, but the hotel was dirty, a good two miles from the convention center, parking was $14/day, and there was no free breakfast. We probably spent $100 after parking and food anyway, and it wasn't nearly as nice.

Just a note for those of you who haven't booked a room yet. I got into the Hyatt Place for under $100 a night, as a Priceline Express Deal. Its literally a block or two away from the South Concourse on Universal Blvd., and offers free parking, free wifi, and a free breakfast. Considering there are three of us and we are driving, the savings in food and parking should tally $30 or so a day. Its also exceptionally rated (100% recommended on Travelocity), so you know it'll be clean, comfortable, and free of surprises.

I grew weary of doing the "Name your Own Price" thing on Priceline when we got the Rosen last year for $65. Sure, the price was good, but the hotel was dirty, a good two miles from the convention center, parking was $14/day, and there was no free breakfast. We probably spent $100 after parking and food anyway, and it wasn't nearly as nice.

Which Rosen are you talking about? There is one that is literally just across the street from the southern hall.

My accommodations have always been wonderful.

Which Rosen are you talking about? There is one that is literally just across the street from the southern hall.

There are two Rosen properties in that area. There is one that is adjacent to the Convention center and one that is to the north across from pointe orlando.

Rosen Plaza ( North of the west concourse ) 0.50 miles away. Most likely the property Jive is referring to.

Rosen Center (South of the west concourse - parking lot is used for convention overflow - also across the street from the North/South concourse.)

Neither is more than a half mile away. The Rosen Center is definitely closer and the one you are thinking about Pike.

There are two Rosen properties in that area. There is one that is adjacent to the Convention center and one that is to the north across from pointe orlando.

Rosen Plaza ( North of the west concourse ) 0.50 miles away. Most likely the property Jive is referring to.

Rosen Center (South of the west concourse - parking lot is used for convention overflow - also across the street from the North/South concourse.)

Neither is more than a half mile away. The Rosen Center is definitely closer and the one you are thinking about Pike.

Rosen-Shingle Creek: 2.8 miles away and basically at the a$$-end of Universal Blvd, but somehow it is still considered in the Convention Center zone for Priceline purposes.

Provided you don't mind the loose hair in the bed.

It's never bothered me.

Rosen-Shingle Creek: 2.8 miles away and basically at the a$$-end of Universal Blvd, but somehow it is still considered in the Convention Center zone for Priceline purposes.

Oh dang. That is far. There is a 4 star hotel across from Sea World that my friends got booked at last year. It was only $80 per night but the parking was $21 per car and the Sea World / Convention traffic mixed to ensure no one left that hotel for the night! haha

Oh dang. That is far. There is a 4 star hotel across from Sea World that my friends got booked at last year. It was only $80 per night but the parking was $21 per car and the Sea World / Convention traffic mixed to ensure no one left that hotel for the night! haha

2.8 miles in that tourist traffic might as well be 30 anywhere else.

2.8 miles in that tourist traffic might as well be 30 anywhere else.

Actually, that part of Universal Blvd is never busy. Its just that walking wasn't an option, and I essentially got hit twice for parking (~$25 a day between the hotel and CC). Besides, the hotel was very iffy. Since I'm traveling with my family, I'd rather just pay a little more upfront and get the sure thing. Hyatt hotels have never disappointed.

It's never bothered me.

That's why you two make such a cute couple: always willing to look past each other's faults. :luhv:

modernfamily_mitchcam2.jpg

Does anyone know if they have solved the advance ticket line problem yet? Last year it was almost a 2 hour+ wait when on site sales were less than 5 minutes and you were in. Not sure if I should buy advance or just wait until Friday when they open. Thoughts??

Just booked the Hyatt across from the convention center (next to the Peabody) for $150 a night (actually got one room for $99 a night because I have several rooms - kids are coming this year again). Thanks for the info George - I booked a different hotel than you did but I took inspiration from the Hyatt lead based on your advice.

Just booked the Hyatt across from the convention center (next to the Peabody) for $150 a night (actually got one room for $99 a night because I have several rooms - kids are coming this year again). Thanks for the info George - I booked a different hotel than you did but I took inspiration from the Hyatt lead based on your advice.

Good choice Roy, and I'm sure your kids will love you for bringing them. The number of Canadians dethawing in Florida this time of year is astounding.

I am so ready. My friend, Tom Raupp, has a helper lined up to help me load in and out. I've gone to the storage unit and pulled all sorts of goodies, and am working them up. It's been cold in North Carolina and I'm looking forward to warm, sunny Florida. Besides, it's my favorite show of the year. What else could an old man ask?