• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

I would say yes. Several sales between $700 and $800 for blue 9.8. I think it is in the process of settling in at around $750.
Still better than the two copies I sold in February for $275 each. :( I see raw ones going for more than that. Edited by Paper Airplane

I would say yes. Several sales between $700 and $800 for blue 9.8. I think it is in the process of settling in at around $750.
Still better than the two copies I sold in February for $275 each. :( I see raw ones going for more than that.

If you bought them and slabbed them, that is still huge profit. Nothing to be sad about. I sold (and traded) a couple of WD 19s in the $200 range before I sold one for $1600. All were profitable. :foryou:

From what raws Ive seen on ebay, the chances of 9.8s increasing is going to be slim.

Keep your eye on the census. There are many more 9.8s coming back.

How can I reconcile these two contrary positions? I know. I'll wager on the one that seems an almost certainty versus the one espoused by the person trying to corner the market and hype this book like it's an image of Jesus and Mary locking lips burned into a piece of focaccia bread.

From what raws Ive seen on ebay, the chances of 9.8s increasing is going to be slim.

Keep your eye on the census. There are many more 9.8s coming back.

How can I reconcile these two contrary positions? I know. I'll wager on the one that seems an almost certainty versus the one espoused by the person trying to corner the market and hype this book like it's an image of Jesus and Mary locking lips burned into a piece of focaccia bread.

this is from Oct 6,2013

Batman Adventures 12 CGC Universal

10.0 zero copies

9.9 zero copies

9.8 98 copies

9.6 84 copies

9.4 47 copies

9.2 23 copies

9.0 13 copies

8.5 7 copies

8.0 3 copies

Nov 19, 2013

10.0 zero copies

9.9 zero copies

9.8 102 copies +4

9.6 95 copies +11

9.4 50 copies +3

9.2 24 copies +1

9.0 17 copies +4

8.5 9 copies +2

8.0 3 copies

4 out of 25 got 9.8s. I do expect more, but the ratio will remain. You think 4 is a lot?

Edited by Junkdrawer

Still better than the two copies I sold in February for $275 each. :( I see raw ones going for more than that.

If you bought them and slabbed them, that is still huge profit. Nothing to be sad about. I sold (and traded) a couple of WD 19s in the $200 range before I sold one for $1600. All were profitable. :foryou:

I hear you. Any profit is a good profit. The only thing that bummed me out was how fast it went from a $275 book to a $800-1000 in the span of just a few months.

4 out of 25 got 9.8s. I do expect more, but the ratio will remain. You think for is a lot?

You didn't say anything about the ratio. Your statement appeared to be about absolute numbers. I've seen nothing to indicate that this isn't like most other copper books that, once the price gets up there, copies start hitting the market.

4 out of 25 got 9.8s. I do expect more, but the ratio will remain. You think for is a lot?

You didn't say anything about the ratio. Your statement appeared to be about absolute numbers. I've seen nothing to indicate that this isn't like most other copper books that, once the price gets up there, copies start hitting the market.
Okay then FYI with in the same exact dates there were 34 NM98 added to the 9.8 universal column and 19 WD1s compared to 4 BA12s Keep going lol

edit for same dates range Oct 6, 2013 thru Nov 19, 2013

BA12 4 copies in 9.8 added

WD1 19 copies in 9.8added

NM98 34 copies in 9.8added

Edited by Junkdrawer

Okay then FYI with in the same exact dates there were 34 NM98 added to the 9.8 universal column and 19 WD1s compared to 4 BA12s Keep going lol
:facepalm:

Neither one of those books experience a sudden stratospheric rise in prices in the last few months, thus one would expect their submission rates to remain steady if not fall, given the amount of time they've been "hot" books. Plus, you're going to compare the print run of WD and Batman Adv. #12 and extrapolate that we'll see more WD #1s? lol I wager a large percentage of new WD 1 9.8s used to be 9.6s or even 9.8s.

Why don't you think of an over/under on the number of new BA 12s in 9.8 and a timeframe? I'll then be happy to take one or the other and we can wager some money for a charity of our choice? Say $100?

What I get for not reading every post in every thread. Bronty made pretty much all the salient points.

There were 98 universal copies in 9.8 on the cgc census months prior to the $750 sale on eBay about a month ago. Currently still at 98 copies. Just 5 under copies have hit the census over ther last month.

So how about you elaborate on the term " explode". By Jan 1, 2014 how many 9.8s will be added to the census?

Look, I see from your posts above that you have a few copies, good for you, its a great book.

But we've identified some good print run info on this thread and I think there are a ton of copies waiting to be graded once people figure out that its valuable now.

Look at nearmint's thread - he went through the stuff in his storage and found a copy that he thought might even beat 9.8. I'm not saying it will but the point is copies will come out.

You can't look at the census changes in the last month :gossip: ? These things take time?

Forget Jan 1, 2014. What its going to look like on Jan 1 2019 when the info is fully out there (amongst more than just this board?). When people who can't get off their azz to mail a package to cgc (like me) finally do?

I can see the 9.8 census being triple what it is now five years from now (shrug)

I don't see the price exploding with a bunch of extra supply coming on. I don't see it imploding either but I think it will soften a touch off current levels (could increase more in the short term mind you before settling down). Hey I could be wrong but based on the print run info we dug up on this thread.... it just is what it is IMO. This is a book from 1993 not 1963 (shrug) and a sharp price increase will be met with a supply response. If it happened with hg 1970s books like GL 76 why on earth wouldn't it happen with hg 1990s DC.

But, I'd still love an over/under bet for sometimes say in the next 6 months.

Neither one of those books experience a sudden stratospheric rise in prices in the last few months, thus one would expect their submission rates to remain steady if not fall, given the amount of time they've been "hot" books. Plus, you're going to compare the print run of WD and Batman Adv. #12 and extrapolate that we'll see more WD #1s? lol I wager a large percentage of new WD 1 9.8s used to be 9.6s or even 9.8s.

Why don't you think of an over/under on the number of new BA 12s in 9.8 and a timeframe? I'll then be happy to take one or the other and we can wager some money for a charity of our choice? Say $100?

First of all I did mention ratio as you did only select what you wanted to from my statement. Secondly you are just a hater because you missed the boat. So buzz off :foryou: Edited by Junkdrawer

First of all I did mention ratio as you did only select what you wanted to from my statement. Secondly you are just a hater because you missed the boat. So buzz off :foryou:

lol

No need to be nasty. Bully for you for grabbing some books right before they exploded. I'm just questioning your suppositions about high grade copies coming to market. It's as crazy as people arguing that there would NEVER be another NM 98 in 9.9. And, what on Earth makes you think I missed the boat on BA #12? lol

But I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Are you?

First of all I did mention ratio as you did only select what you wanted to from my statement.

How did I selectively quote you?

I'm interested to see how much the number of 9.8's on the census goes up in the next few months. If it does make a huge jump quickly it would be a good bet the price on the book is going to increase a lot.

Census now for the record is:

Batman Adventures CGC Universal

10.0 zero copies

9.9 zero copies

9.8 98 copies

9.6 84 copies

9.4 47 copies

9.2 23 copies

9.0 13 copies

8.5 7 copies

8.0 3 copies

From what raws Ive seen on ebay, the chances of 9.8s increasing is going to be slim. I would expect to see a rise in submissions though and you will see the lesser grades rise. Currently NM98 has 1,081 and WD1 has 519 cgc 9.8 universals in comparison at this time. Also keep in mind that there was also a direct release (bar code) version (not noted by CGC) but is certainly much harder to find in high grade and as time marches onward and this book develops into a modern mega key, the bar coded copies of this issue will rise above the other.

First of all I did mention ratio as you did only select what you wanted to from my statement. Secondly you are just a hater because you missed the boat. So buzz off :foryou:

lol

No need to be nasty. Bully for you for grabbing some books right before they exploded. I'm just questioning your suppositions about high grade copies coming to market. It's as crazy as people arguing that there would NEVER be another NM 98 in 9.9. And, what on Earth makes you think I missed the boat on BA #12? lol

I'm interested to see how much the number of 9.8's on the census goes up in the next few months. If it does make a huge jump quickly it would be a good bet the price on the book is going to increase a lot.

10.0 zero copies

9.9 zero copies

9.8 98 copies

9.6 84 copies

9.4 47 copies

9.2 23 copies

9.0 13 copies

8.5 7 copies

8.0 3 copies

From what raws Ive seen on ebay, the chances of 9.8s increasing is going to be slim. I would expect to see a rise in submissions though and you will see the lesser grades rise. Currently NM98 has 1,081 and WD1 has 519 cgc 9.8 universals in comparison at this time. Also keep in mind that there was also a direct release (bar code) version (not noted by CGC) but is certainly much harder to find in high grade and as time marches onward and this book develops into a modern mega key, the bar coded copies of this issue will rise above the other.

You didn't say anything about the ratio. Your statement appeared to be about absolute numbers.

Edited by Junkdrawer

You will see a rise in submissions. You saw 25. I agree I said that. I went on to say that you will see the lesser grades rise ( 25 lessers to 4 in 9.8 ) And I don't think 4 is a whole lot, sorry. And again this is from raws that I have seen on ebay.

I still haven't seen anything that tells me there is going to be lots of 9.8s or higher. I have seen some pretty raggy copies though which to me speaks for a large percentage of the large print run.

Edited by Junkdrawer

lol

10.0 zero copies

9.9 zero copies

9.8 98 copies

9.6 84 copies

9.4 47 copies

9.2 23 copies

9.0 13 copies

8.5 7 copies

8.0 3 copies

Try the preview button. It helps make sure you have the quotes right. In 2 F5s you still haven't gotten it right on this exchange. But let's talk substance, shall we?

You highlighted the wrong part. First, I don't think predicting an increase in lower grades means anything about ratios, but we can differ on that. Second, you made the absolute statement that

That's what I'm referring to. Really, it's no big deal. I just think you're wrong. As Sean pointed out and others have as well, higher prices drive submissions. Higher submissions = more 9.8s. Until last year, this book was hardly worth slabbing in 9.6. 9.8 was the only play. Now that prices have risen, I have no doubt that you'll see a rise in 9.8s and 9.6s and maybe some lower grades as well. But that has more to do with the rise in price than scarcity.

Granted, it's got some factors going for it: purple cover that shows stresses easily, not a huge print run. But, at this point, it's a given that more copies in 9.8 are coming to market. Several posters have all but told you themselves they've subbed them.

You will see a rise in submissions. You saw 25. I agree I said that. I went on to say that you will see the lesser grades rise ( 25 lessers to 4 in 9.8 ) And I don't think 4 is a whole lot, sorry. and again this is from raws that I have seen on ebay

That's not 25 additional submissions. That's 25 completed and shipped additional submissions. There are a ton more there now. People are posting about it all over the place. You are right that there will be a lot of lower grade subs as well, because money.

I think the market will be able to absorb these books easily and settle in at $750 or so until something comes along to really goose it up.

4w2z3.jpg

You will see a rise in submissions. You saw 25. I agree I said that. I went on to say that you will see the lesser grades rise ( 25 lessers to 4 in 9.8 ) And I don't think 4 is a whole lot, sorry. and again this is from raws that I have seen on ebay

That's not 25 additional submissions. That's 25 completed and shipped additional submissions. There are a ton more there now. People are posting about it all over the place. You are right that there will be a lot of lower grade subs as well, because money.

I think the market will be able to absorb these books easily and settle in at $750 or so until something comes along to really goose it up.

4w2z3.jpg

lol