• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

Howdy. Just wanted to defend BA12 as the first appearance of Harley. If a comicbook comes out...let's say...Showcase #4, which introduces a character. Then some re-write occurs, like "New 52" and it relaunches the sequence of how things started in the DC universe, does the Showcase #4 lose value?

Of course not.

My point is that it really doesn't matter whether a first appearance is accepted in the "official" timeline of events. Collectors realize that a first appearance is a first appearance, no matter how they change the storyline.

FWIW, there are a lot of "1st appearance in comics" in the Golden Age Disney Genre, where the character actually appeared in a cartoon first. While it is factored into the demand for that book, it isn't like a black mark against it that dogs the value of the book. As long as collectors are informed that it is the first appearance in comics, that is all that matters. Whether DC disavows it in their timeline or not.

I think the book has a lot of potential because the character is a favorite among cosplayers. I think that will be a factor in popularity as the popularity in cosplay continues to grow.

Steve

So I was reading Batman Adventures #23 then I noticed Harley Quinn. Is that even considered an appearance? hm(shrug)

3rd panel

scan0148_zpsbf16bdf8.jpg

Well gotta star hoarding #23 I guess, Completest will want it and I'm sure that it has flown under the radar, Comic Vine doesn't have it listed and I have seen some of the most miniscule background appearances be listed on there so I will be picking them up for $1 when I see them.

I bought this book for $4 on ebay back in 2009. I was confused at the time because I always knew Harley was a popular character. I was collecting 1st appearances and saw all these cheap books for $4 and it kinda confused me. The book was close to 17 years old and never gained value. I bought one and got another 9.6 for about 125 back in 2012. Then the take off.... I got the $4 copy in to get graded at a 9.4. This book is the Hulk 181 of modern. It will potentially top off soon enough, however, it will continue to grow. Next Batman book to do this will be Azrael, Carnage, etc...

So I was reading Batman Adventures #23 then I noticed Harley Quinn. Is that even considered an appearance? hm(shrug)

3rd panel

scan0148_zpsbf16bdf8.jpg

Well gotta star hoarding #23 I guess, Completest will want it and I'm sure that it has flown under the radar, Comic Vine doesn't have it listed and I have seen some of the most miniscule background appearances be listed on there so I will be picking them up for $1 when I see them.

I read BA #23 years ago and I never noticed it until now. If you look closely the picture is signed "Harley".

Might have to go back and update the list I made earlier in this thread and include all obscure background appearances. I thought no one cared so I didn't add it to the list.

Saw this in my record search the other day (from 2/6/2010) . . . :facepalm:

Description Unit price Qty Amount

BATMAN ADVENTURES #12 CGC NM 9.4 W 1st App Harley Quinn

Item# 200431301718

$32.00 USD

$32.00 USD

Subtotal

$32.00 USD

Shipping and handling

$8.00 USD

Total

$40.00 USD

Item# 200431301718

$32.00 USD

$32.00 USD

Subtotal

$32.00 USD

Shipping and handling

$8.00 USD

Total

$40.00 USD

One should never have recriminations about profit made in the past.

Item# 200431301718

$32.00 USD

$32.00 USD

Subtotal

$32.00 USD

Shipping and handling

$8.00 USD

Total

$40.00 USD

One should never have recriminations about profit made in the past.

I have more than enough comic-related stuff to beat myself up over without having to also regret past sales that were too cheap only in hindsight.

Nobody has a crystal ball. If you made a good sale at the time, it was a good sale period. :)

That's it exactly. I sold a couple copies of the Avengers book that has the 1st Scott Lang a couple of weeks before they popped. I consoled myself upon receiving the modest 6-7x profit as opposed to the 20-30x by remembering the 300x return on a FOOM 2. lol

I bought this book for $4 on ebay back in 2009. I was confused at the time because I always knew Harley was a popular character. I was collecting 1st appearances and saw all these cheap books for $4 and it kinda confused me. The book was close to 17 years old and never gained value. I bought one and got another 9.6 for about 125 back in 2012. Then the take off.... I got the $4 copy in to get graded at a 9.4. This book is the Hulk 181 of modern. It will potentially top off soon enough, however, it will continue to grow. Next Batman book to do this will be Azrael, Carnage, etc...

Please, feel free to hit all the BINs on Sword of Azrael #1.

:whistle:

maybe it's an inside joke that i'm not getting.

maybe it's an inside joke that i'm not getting.

He prob has some for sale and if you hit the bin on Azrael 1's, youll buy his.

I got my first BA12 in the mail the other day. A lower grade copy at a good price. So what did I do? I read it! And you know what? It was pretty good! Is the rest of the series as good as that? I might have to read them. Nothing complicated about them. Nobody died, or broke their back, or is being replaced by a clone of their sidekick. Just good old fashioned story telling.

Good stuff!

I got my first BA12 in the mail the other day. A lower grade copy at a good price. So what did I do? I read it! And you know what? It was pretty good! Is the rest of the series as good as that? I might have to read them. Nothing complicated about them. Nobody died, or broke their back, or is being replaced by a clone of their sidekick. Just good old fashioned story telling.

Good stuff!

The entire Batman animated run (From "Batman Adventures" to "Batman and Robin Adventures", "Lost Years", "Gotham Adventures" and finally "Batman Adventures"...again) is terrific, and far and away one of my favorite runs of any superhero title, ever. Even as an adult, I thought it was the perfect superhero series, in that each issue was a standalone story (for the most part), the art was always lovely, and the stories were always fun. You could pick up any issue at any point in the run and know exactly who is who and what was going on, and not have to understand decades worth of continuity to enjoy the stories.

They were really great books and I wish DC would finally collect them in a nice archival format.

Item# 200431301718

$32.00 USD

$32.00 USD

Subtotal

$32.00 USD

Shipping and handling

$8.00 USD

Total

$40.00 USD

An old purchase...

eBay item #729130364 Oct-27-02 Nov-03-02 18:23:06 $9.99 (4) Batman Adventures #12 1st Harley Quinn NM Seller: pcy

:acclaim:

Sadly, I sold two of them for $10 each. :(

3rd panel

scan0148_zpsbf16bdf8.jpg

Yes…if people consider Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 the 1st appearance of Darkseid, then this is certainly a very notable and robust appearance of Harley!

Darkesid%2B1.jpg