• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

Sniping only way to go with ebay.

+1,000,000

People who throw out bids early and say "I just bid what I want to pay" don't understand the psychology of auctions. People are m0rons when it comes to bidding - and if you disagree, I would reference you to this $50 Amazon gift card that got bid up to $106. And that's not the only one - there are hundreds of completed listings like that. :facepalm:

This.

However, I have ended up losing out with sniping on harder to value items that don't have a well established run of recent sales. I think it should go $XXX, may be willing and able to even go $XXX x2 or x3 but have no idea if I'll need to and don't want to just get shilled up, but there hasn't been a sale in long enough that I may well be underestimating. So, I usually will throw in an early bid at 60-75% of where my snipe will (theoretically) be, just to see if I'm blown out of the water early and need to dig deeper for data.

May still cost me, but in the end I'm still paying what I'm willing to part with, the late max snipe prevented (some) shilling up, hopefully, and the hard to find bauble didn't get away :grin:

+1,000,000

People who throw out bids early and say "I just bid what I want to pay" don't understand the psychology of auctions. People are m0rons when it comes to bidding - and if you disagree, I would reference you to this $50 Amazon gift card that got bid up to $106. And that's not the only one - there are hundreds of completed listings like that. :facepalm:

This.

However, I have ended up losing out with sniping on harder to value items that don't have a well established run of recent sales. I think it should go $XXX, may be willing and able to even go $XXX x2 or x3 but have no idea if I'll need to and don't want to just get shilled up, but there hasn't been a sale in long enough that I may well be underestimating. So, I usually will throw in an early bid at 60-75% of where my snipe will (theoretically) be, just to see if I'm blown out of the water early and need to dig deeper for data.

May still cost me, but in the end I'm still paying what I'm willing to part with, the late max snipe prevented (some) shilling up, hopefully, and the hard to find bauble didn't get away :grin:

Yup, I've had this exact scenario when buying OA. And I've done the x3 and been happy because it's gone for 2x+ what I thought (when there were limited / no comps available)

+1,000,000

hm

b01280d9-6656-4d0f-9ec2-7e20b2ff5e09.jpg

The theory is that you snipe it and forget it. Set the price, just the same but you don't give others the opportunity to go all hot headed and crazy bidding against the top price you're willing to pay. you show your hand too early if you just "set it and forget it" at the beginning of an auction IMO.

That is a risk, but if the max you set your bid at is a significant discount to guide (I usually use 40% of guide on multi-book lots) then it does not matter if they bid you up - you will make money all day long with max bid wins. (thumbs u

But you are paying more than you have to. And if you find one of those dbag sellers that shills they can bump your bid up to the max. By not placing your bid until the end via a sniper they can't know you have a secret max bid and push the envelop. Sniping only way to go with ebay.

Potentially, but I am not going to irrationally chase auctions either at the end. Do I win most of the auctions with this approach, definitely not. lol However, for the ones that I do I end up making a nice profit that I just roll into new books and repeat the process. (thumbs u

The theory is that you snipe it and forget it. Set the price, just the same but you don't give others the opportunity to go all hot headed and crazy bidding against the top price you're willing to pay. you show your hand too early if you just "set it and forget it" at the beginning of an auction IMO.

That is a risk, but if the max you set your bid at is a significant discount to guide (I usually use 40% of guide on multi-book lots) then it does not matter if they bid you up - you will make money all day long with max bid wins. (thumbs u

But you are paying more than you have to. And if you find one of those dbag sellers that shills they can bump your bid up to the max. By not placing your bid until the end via a sniper they can't know you have a secret max bid and push the envelop. Sniping only way to go with ebay.

Potentially, but I am not going to irrationally chase auctions either at the end. Do I win most of the auctions with this approach, definitely not. lol However, for the ones that I do I end up making a nice profit that I just roll into new books and repeat the process. (thumbs u

You're probably not getting shilled up too often, either. Anyone trying to shill you is probably going to outbid your 40% guide bid. lol

You're probably not getting shilled up too often, either. Anyone trying to shill you is probably going to outbid your 40% guide bid. lol

Well, on some auctions I will bid as high as 50% if it looks to be worth it..... ;)

I don't use sniping software, I just bid the absolute most amount I would pay for said item, If I win it, I win, it, If I don't, I move on.
I usually do the same, however I like to wait til there is about 3 or 4 seconds left. I often win or I'm the underbidder.

I don't use sniping software, I just bid the absolute most amount I would pay for said item, If I win it, I win, it, If I don't, I move on.
I usually do the same, however I like to wait til there is about 3 or 4 seconds left. I often win or I'm the underbidder.

If you wait until 3 seconds left, you can ONLY be the winner or underbidder.

(Unless there's some other fool who doesn't use sniping software bidding at the same time.) lol

Sniping works... it saves money.

Anyone who doesn't want to use it can spend their money any way they want... but they shouldn't tell themselves they're saving money or that their time sitting by the screen counting seconds isn't valuable.

Snipe it. Set it. Forget it. Win it for less or someone outbids you. No sweat.

Everything else is wasted time and money.

(Ebay since 1997. (boom))

I'm interested to see how much the number of 9.8's on the census goes up in the next few months. If it does make a huge jump quickly it would be a good bet the price on the book is going to increase a lot.

Census now for the record is:

Batman Adventures CGC Universal

10.0 zero copies

9.9 zero copies

9.8 98 copies

9.6 84 copies

9.4 47 copies

9.2 23 copies

9.0 13 copies

8.5 7 copies

8.0 3 copies

From what raws Ive seen on ebay, the chances of 9.8s increasing is going to be slim. I would expect to see a rise in submissions though and you will see the lesser grades rise. Currently NM98 has 1,081 and WD1 has 519 cgc 9.8 universals in comparison at this time. Also keep in mind that there was also a direct release (bar code) version (not noted by CGC) but is certainly much harder to find in high grade and as time marches onward and this book develops into a modern mega key, the bar coded copies of this issue will rise above the other.

You didn't say anything about the ratio. Your statement appeared to be about absolute numbers.

Edited by Junkdrawer

(Unless there's some other fool who doesn't use sniping software bidding at the same time.) lol

Anyone who doesn't want to use it can spend their money any way they want... but they shouldn't tell themselves they're saving money or that their time sitting by the screen counting seconds isn't valuable.

What about those that enjoy the auction game?

Actually, I would say the average is closer to $800-850. According to GPA, the 90 average is $849 with the last five sales being:

Nov-17-2013 $800

Nov-17-2013 $812

Nov-03-2013 $885

Oct-24-2013 $1,000

Oct-09-2013 $748

Definitely settling down (at least for now). Will be interesting to see where it heads from this base??

What about those that enjoy the auction game?

Those who enjoy the auction game are the reason the rest of us snipe.

Statements like:

"I like to bid throughout the week"

"I like to see if my bid is close to the high bidder's max"

"I like to watch the price go up a little at a time"

"I like to try to guess where an auction will end"

Each of those just make the price higher if the bids are placed before the final seconds.

So, there's no reason for the rest of us to bid until the final seconds... and there's no reason to sit and wait for the final seconds when a machine will do it for you.

Actually, I would say the average is closer to $800-850. According to GPA, the 90 average is $849 with the last five sales being:

Nov-17-2013 $800

Nov-17-2013 $812

Nov-03-2013 $885

Oct-24-2013 $1,000

Oct-09-2013 $748

Definitely settling down (at least for now). Will be interesting to see where it heads from this base??

I would agree with except GPA is only a portion of the market. There are lots more sales than are being reported on GPA. Keep your eye on the census. There are many more 9.8s coming back.