• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventure Comics #283

67 posts in this topic

Anyone feel this is an under-appreciated/undervalued book? First appearance of Zod and the Phantom Zone. Don't see all that many come up on Ebay but with Man of Steel on the way and hopefully an awesome Zod as Michael Shannon is playing him, why not the jump in popularity?

He's only really briefly mentioned in the issue and not a major character, so would the first full or cover appearance be more sought after?

Off the top of my head, I don't know what the first cover issue is. I do know that almost as soon as Adventure 283 came out, all the Superman title started using the concept. Adventure 283 has been steadily increasing in price I do believe.

I agree this is a key book to have. First General Zod and the Phantom Zone. 'Nuff said.

A year ago 7.0 copies were fetching about $100. Now they are fetching $500 and up. Relative to other Silver Age books, this is a tough book to get in any condition north of 6.0 and not that many graded copies in 8.0 or higher on the census. I suppose the print run wasn't that high when this was published in (I think it was) 1961.

Don't think mine can be more than 2/2.5 but I didn't pay much for it and it doesn't seem to come up for sale very often in any condition. Saw a copy in far worse condition than mine sell for around $60 so hopefully once the movie picks up steam then so will the comic.

That's funny this thread was started as I've been combing ebay for it for the last couple months but everytime I get close someone snipes me.

If anyone has one in the 2.0 to 6.0 range for sale PM me as I would be interested in that grade/price range.

Anyone feel this is an under-appreciated/undervalued book? First appearance of Zod and the Phantom Zone. Don't see all that many come up on Ebay but with Man of Steel on the way and hopefully an awesome Zod as Michael Shannon is playing him, why not the jump in popularity?

He's only really briefly mentioned in the issue and not a major character, so would the first full or cover appearance be more sought after?

I have been tracking this for a few years now, and it has gone up. Also before CGC just put that it was the first appearance of the Phantom Zone, but now they also note that it`s General Zod`s first appearance as well.

I have been tracking this for a few years now, and it has gone up. Also before CGC just put that it was the first appearance of the Phantom Zone, but now they also note that it`s General Zod`s first appearance as well.

yeah, my copy is old label and just says 1st Phantom Zone.

In regards to the original question, I don't think Zod has any silver age cover appearances. In fact, he doesn't really appear very often from what I can tell. I think it was the writers of the Superman movies that brought him out of obscurity. I am be wrong, but I think Jax Ur was the Phantom Zone villain most often seen.

What is funny/weird is that the Phantom Zone first appears in a Superboy story, which of coarse is Superman's past. Then all of a sudden it is appearing all over the place in the Superman family of books, Action, Superman, Jimmy Olsen, etc. Since it was Superman's past, don't you think Superman would have known about it ever since then? lol It reminds me of when Krypto showed up and they had to explain where he had been all of those years (Jimmy Olsen #29, how's that for a minor key!)

General Zod (if I remember correctly) appears in two panels in Adventure283. Thereafter, I think he made few appearances leading to 1978's Superman The Movie ("STM"). At some point someone at DC must have given Mario Puzo the Zod character (plus the Phantom Zone) so he could build it into the story for the first movie.

If someone could post his post-Adventure283 but pre-STM appearances, I would be grateful. Maybe there are none?

General Zod (if I remember correctly) appears in two panels in Adventure283. Thereafter, I think he made few appearances leading to 1978's Superman The Movie ("STM"). At some point someone at DC must have given Mario Puzo the Zod character (plus the Phantom Zone) so he could build it into the story for the first movie.

If someone could post his post-Adventure283 but pre-STM appearances, I would be grateful. Maybe there are none?

According to the Grand Comics Database...

Zod appearances