• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Lulu

72 posts in this topic

here are a few of my Four Color Lulu's. Don's think I have ever read any of them.

fc115LittleLulu.jpg

fc131.jpg

fc146.jpg

SHe was very popular back then, seems to have been published almost monthly until she spunoff into her own series in Feb of 48

Once you get into the characters a bit, you enjoy the humor more. This is like "Big Bang Theory". Got to learn who each kid is and their quirks.

You're probably right. There's a running gag of Tubby always suspecting Lulu's father of foul play and donning the role of "The Spider" to uncover the plot. That's usually pretty fun.

I don't understand the comparison between Stanley and Barks. Barks's rep is built on him being a writer and artist. Stanley did not draw 99% of the Lulu comics, Irving Tripp did. Plus, the drawings are so simple anyone could have drawn them.

I like the early covers with the borders.

here are a few of my Four Color Lulu's. Don's think I have ever read any of them.

fc115LittleLulu.jpg

fc131.jpg

fc146.jpg

SHe was very popular back then, seems to have been published almost monthly until she spunoff into her own series in Feb of 48

Once you get into the characters a bit, you enjoy the humor more. This is like "Big Bang Theory". Got to learn who each kid is and their quirks.

You're probably right. There's a running gag of Tubby always suspecting Lulu's father of foul play and donning the role of "The Spider" to uncover the plot. That's usually pretty fun.

I don't understand the comparison between Stanley and Barks. Barks's rep is built on him being a writer and artist. Stanley did not draw 99% of the Lulu comics, Irving Tripp did. Plus, the drawings are so simple anyone could have drawn them.

Stanley was the initial artist but before too long provided complete scripts and page/panel layouts for Irving Tripp so he was much more than a writer.

In addition, what makes a comic artist great is his ability to tell a story. That the drawings were simple does not mean that they were easy to create. Rather, considerable thought had to be put into defining just the right visual imagery to engage the reader and effortlessly propel the story.

Stanley was the initial artist but before too long provided complete scripts and page/panel layouts for Irving Tripp so he was much more than a writer.

In addition, what makes a comic artist great is his ability to tell a story. That the drawings were simple does not mean that they were easy to create. Rather, considerable thought had to be put into defining just the right visual imagery to engage the reader and effortlessly propel the story.

Yes, so simple that I'd ask you to try to draw them! Seriously, one sign of a great illustrator is his or her ability to say much with little. The simplicity of the Lulu work belies the talent behind it. Another example of this simple but effective style are the Harvey comics.

here are a few of my Four Color Lulu's. Don't think I have ever read any of them.

fc115LittleLulu.jpg

fc131.jpg

fc146.jpg

I posted a story from Four Color #146 a couple of years ago.

Check it out. It think it's really funny. It's typical of some of the humor you'll find in the series.

crybaby1.jpg

For those who don't have the issue, you can read it online: Link

FC 165 has a story where Lulu smokes Doll's hair and hallucinates, one of the oddest LL stories ever. My favorites are the Tubby detective stories mentioned above. Stanley was at his best when writing Lulu and Tubby together.

My least favorite are the Witch Hazel stories she would tell Alvin.

Another example of this simple but effective style are the Harvey comics.
Warren Kremer's work for Harvey is exceptional.

FC 165 has a story where Lulu smokes Doll's hair and hallucinates, one of the oddest LL stories ever. My favorites are the Tubby detective stories mentioned above. Stanley was at his best when writing Lulu and Tubby together.

I've read nearly all of them thanks to the reprint series, I enjoyed many of them. But after a while they got tiresome

I've read nearly all of them thanks to the reprint series, I enjoyed many of them. But after a while they got tiresome

That could probably be said of every long running comic series, but I suppose when their is no larger continuity or change in creative teams the sameness can get old faster. It's why I tend to enjoy GA reprints less in archive hardback form than when they are doled out in smaller bites. I was thrilled when the Jack Cole Plastic Man archives started, even though the earlier stories were weaker than the later ones, but stopped buying them around volume 6 or 7, as I began to feel I was reading the same stories over and over.

That could probably be said of every long running comic series, but I suppose when their is no larger continuity or change in creative teams the sameness can get old faster. It's why I tend to enjoy GA reprints less in archive hardback form than when they are doled out in smaller bites. I was thrilled when the Jack Cole Plastic Man archives started, even though the earlier stories were weaker than the later ones, but stopped buying them around volume 6 or 7, as I began to feel I was reading the same stories over and over.

They only published them up to 8 but I could have used more. Coming out every year or so it wasn't bad to read them. Reading them through shows more of the sameness but I've never experienced fatigue reading those. I did get Spirit fatigue during the war and post-war years but not on the Plastic Man.

Glad to see so many interests. I have my set listed on the Registry, still waiting for 30 more to be graded. I suspect it's a fool's game to grade the later issues, but hey, lots of high condition and it's my fix. I am putting a second set together just to read. Wonder if there is a pill to slow up this sickness?

bc of 1953 - indicia says 'a collection of outstanding Little Lulu stories over the past years' then lists 1945-6-7

img5010.jpg

According to GCD, it collects stories from FCs 74, 97, 131, 139, 146, 158, and 165.