• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why no love for Frank Castle....

26 posts in this topic

One of my all time favorite characters is the Punisher.

His backstory and general possibilities that are available with that character are phenomenal, however he is almost consistently mis-written or just used as a filler character.

Why is this? Is it because people don't like the character or has Marvel just not gotten the right writer for the job yet?

I think the best PUnisher run ever was when Garth Ennis was doing it back in the day, especially "Welcome back Frank"

I just don't get why a guy like the Punisher doesn't have a top selling book, when he is essentially the Batman of the Marvel Universe.

THe horrible movies didnt help I guess......

Well I felt the first movie with Thomas Jane was ok. I liked him in the character and the fight scene with the Russian was awesome. What let it down was John Travolta and the silly plot of revenge.

The current Punisher series Marvel has put out has been very good IMO.

I actually think the first Punisher movie was a solid take on the character.

It suffered mostly in comparison to the Denzel Washington "Man on Fire" remake that came out that same month--and was basically a Punisher movie done phenomenally well.

The truth is, he's a _really_ hard character to do well because he's basically just a vigilante. See any 70s Charles Bronson or 90s Steven Seagall movie.

I actually think the first Punisher movie was a solid take on the character.

It suffered mostly in comparison to the Denzel Washington "Man on Fire" remake that came out that same month--and was basically a Punisher movie done phenomenally well.

The truth is, he's a _really_ hard character to do well because he's basically just a vigilante. See any 70s Charles Bronson or 90s Steven Seagall movie.

I really didn't like Man on Fire.

rucka's punisher book was the best comic of 2011/2012 imo and I have posted it lots here. The book was cancelled not due to sales, but because Marvel wanted to use punisher elsewhere. It's really too bad.

I loved the Punisher Maxx series that was just cancelled. The guys at my LCS turned me on to it when it was out. I think "Welcome Back Frank" twelve issue series is one of my favorite trades.

In the right hands, the Punisher can be a brutal, hysterical and exciting character. But when it goes bad, it :sick:

His backstory and general possibilities that are available with that character are phenomenal, however he is almost consistently mis-written or just used as a filler character.

Why is this? Is it because people don't like the character or has Marvel just not gotten the right writer for the job yet?

I think the best PUnisher run ever was when Garth Ennis was doing it back in the day, especially "Welcome back Frank"

I just don't get why a guy like the Punisher doesn't have a top selling book, when he is essentially the Batman of the Marvel Universe.

This is how the Punisher movies should be,enjoy!

:headbang:

Marvel has actually done a lot with this character lately, he's had 3 mini-series (Nighmare was good, Space was not), but Punisher Vs the Marvel Universe (essentially Punisher vs the Avengers), was awesome. He's also being used very effectively in Daredevil End of Days (which is a must read). And of course the Rucka run was ridiculously good. They are still using him, I'm hoping he becomes a major character again, but I'm one of those guys who still believe Marvel is going to blow up the whole Marvel Now thing and start fresh again either late this year or next year. I'm sure he'd get his own book then.

Jay

I wasn't a big fan of the Rucka run but Jason Aaron's punisher max series was phenomenal! I also enjoyed Remender's run even if it was a bit wacky with the whole frankencastle thing. There is some great art in that run as well especially the issue that's by Dan Brereton and is fully painted.

I would also like to add IMO Punisher is an A+ character in comics just because at every single comic book show I have work for the past 5 years 3 comics are asked about more than all others (yes that includes AF 15)

1. Hulk 181

2 ASM 300

3. ASM 129

For example at Wondercon we had a VF+ copy of ASM 129 and before it sold (which raw copies do quickly) it's price was asked about 5 times per hour minimum.

Every show it is asked about every hour on the hour multiple times......

"Do you have ASM 129?"

"Do you have ASM 129?"

"Do you have ASM 129?"

"Do you have ASM 129?"

"Do you have ASM 129?"

"Do you have ASM 129?"

I wasn't a big fan of the Rucka run but Jason Aaron's punisher max series was phenomenal! I also enjoyed Remender's run even if it was a bit wacky with the whole frankencastle thing. There is some great art in that run as well especially the issue that's by Dan Brereton and is fully painted.

+1. Big Rucka fan and enjoyed his run. But the best Punisher run of recent years was the Aaron PUNISHERMAX series. Ennis (the gold standard) was in two very distinct modes during his tenure...Aaron took the best from both and coalesced them into PUNISHERMAX. Highly recommended.

Bumping for the awesomeness that is "Dirty Laundry".

I think he has the most promise out of all the Marvel characters to be well done because he's not a gamma ray muscleman. I don't think the giant skull logo, white boots, and greased hair muscleman look of the 80's-90's was great, but if they do it as a straight revenge thriller it can work very well. The "no love" part may be because he isn't an Avenger or X-Man, but I see great potential with the character in comics and beyond. They just have to be willing to stray from what has already been established. Maybe even by dropping the "Punisher" name and having him just be Frank Castle, pissed off veteran who lost everything.

Won't work within the MU of course, but it can work just as well as any other crime thriller has.